• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Bill by any other name would smell as sweet - Nov 14/15 - Melee, Brawl, Brawl+

BEHR

Smash Hero
Why is Melee Sunday?

$Mike cant come to these anymore. ):

lord karn

Smash Master
melee is on sunday because there has been a huge influx of melee tournies recently, and we need to give b+ and brawl a chance. Also, b+ gets the most entrants when held on the same day as brawl, so we want those to be the two-game on saturday combo this time

*CT*

Smash Lord
Have no clue why they switched up the dates, maybe a better turn out? Don't really care for the MK ban, not even gonna pick sides or put in my .00001$. I like being challenged is all I'll say.

The thing about grandfather clause seems interesting enough.

EDIT: :O Go Karn for that explanation.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Well prepare for a lower Melee turnout then. ):

I doubt I can go either so yuh.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
NC-Echo said:
Your starting to annoy me so I am giving you a warning. Post crap again and your not allowed to come to the billfest or you can pay an increased door fee if you really wanna come. I am trying to be calm but your pissing me off so just stop. Send this to anyone else and I found out and you definitely wont be able to come. I'm serious.
Bill, what crap are you talking about?

null55

Smash Master
@DH: the crap he's talking about is the sarcasm on the previous page. he's the TO, if he doesn't want to explain he doesn't have to. to him it sounds like your accusing him of banning MK for selfish reasons. i won't present my opinion on the matter, but if you do believe that, i suggest you decide whether to say it blatantly or remain silent. you can't half burn something. people get mad at you for such witchcraft.

however Bill, i doubt such extremes are appropriate for the situation. it's just "crap", why bother with negative emotions. but yeah, your tournament, so ignore me.

anyway i'll be there despite mk being banned. cause **** brawl.

/crap

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
Your starting to annoy me so I am giving you a warning. Post crap again and your not allowed to come to the billfest or you can pay an increased door fee if you really wanna come. I am trying to be calm but your pissing me off so just stop. Send this to anyone else and I found out and you definitely wont be able to come. I'm serious.

lol darkhart, i have heard bill say stuff like this enough times to know that he will not follow through...he just tends to resort to threatening people when they tick him off...

however, posting that for everyone is probably going to only cause more threats @.@

null55

Smash Master
if you come, $5 mm?
dude, i'm still in middle school. plus, i've never even played you before.

how confident do you think i am? how confident are you?

20, leggo.

EDIT: lol, ill $1 mm/seriously you many times.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Well, I'll prove people wrong then. Unless something changes my mind, you can't come dark hart. I don't know how many times I have asked you specifically to stop posting anti-brawl crap and the like and you wont stop so I'll do what I can to give you incentive. You can't come, please stop, maybe i'll change my mind.

On a seperate note mk is banned in teams because I believe him to still be op and ban worthy in teams as he is in singles. Maybe people disagree and thats fine they can keep him legal in teams or singles at their tournaments but at this one he is banned in both because I believe the game is better without him in both.

Foxy

Smash Master
dude, i'm still in middle school. plus, i've never even played you before.

how confident do you think i am? how confident are you?

20, leggo.

EDIT: lol, ill $1 mm/seriously you many times.
well you've placed well at the recent tournaments i haven't been to, and everyone in nc knows i suck.

you should be confident about your free money.

$1 is cool though.

null55

Smash Master
So MK is banned from Brawl, and Dark Hart is banned from Melee.

What the **** character do I play now?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
To those who wonder why people give their opinions on this:

It is not unreasonable for players who are willing to make the sacrifice to attend a tournament that a TO is hosting to question some aspects of a given tournament. Accepting something someone doesn't like is too common already these days, so voicing concern is a good way to understand why decisions are made and to understand the tournament-organizing process(in this case) more thoroughly.

I would say that, since Bill did make the post on banning MK, and it is such a drastic one that was agreed upon by mostly the tournament hosts, that Bill should at the very least explain his reasoning for banning MK instead of pointing to a thread(without providing a link at that). I could elaborate on this ordeal, but I'm sure my impression has been made on this part of the argument.

Now then, once both parties are/will be clear on where the other stands on the issue, it must be decided: will the players attend tournaments that they do not believe to be competitively sound? Everyone makes the decision for different reasons, some people who hate banning MK may attend the tournament because their friends always go and they have other games they can play, and others who are pro-ban may not attend because they feel like a tournament with no MKs is not something the state as a whole would need.

The player and the TO(s) each hold power over this decision. The TO can use the weight of precedence, legacy, randoms, economic incentives, and other such influences to lure those opposed to attending the tournament there on the designated date. Conversely, the players make the tournament. Without players attending the tournaments organized here on Smashboards, there would be no desire to run tournaments until changes were made that drew people in or changed the minds of those that refused to attend previously.

So, what then? No tournaments ever? Not necessarily. Even without a TO changing his rules, there are other in-state tournaments(especially in NC) that would have altered rulesets that would jump upon this opportunity to attract frustrated players. It's almost like a competition for players in this way(should players become this fickle). TOs become more in-tune with the demands of the players, and the players use their collective decision-making abilities to determine what the majority of them favor in a given tournament.

Of course, breaking into this system is not as easy as it sounds. TOs could become frustrated at why they are no longer getting the peak levels of attendance they usually achieve every tournament. Forum disputes(flame wars) could ensue, and a violent power struggle for a tournament monopoly could be transposed upon a once peaceful scene.

---------------------------------------------

kinda lost my train of thought there. Not sure why I wrote any of that, but I'm willing to bet we(and most places) wouldn't do it because we all always show up to any tournament that we ordinarily would just to see each other and because everyone else does it.

Edit: maybe I should've made a post on banning people from tournaments? *remembers Zero

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
no it was threatened which is what fiz is referring to also.

Dark Hart just likes to argue with me though so its a different relationship since zero is very passive so I eventually saw I was being a jerk. Dark Hart for some reason feels it necessary to stir up stuff for no reason and then when asked on several occasions to stop by more then just me and often times nicely he still refuses on the contrary he takes it as incentive to retort with more.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
PP i have seen you post several times about to's being left to their own decision. Last time in particular I remember was a melee only tourney and plur requested they add in something else so you jumped in and told him he didn't have the right to. Slightly contradictory in my opinion.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I knew you'd bring that up.

Did I say that the TOs should be overturned? Point out where I said that. Good luck.

I never said PLUR didn't have "the right." Would you like me to quote the post for you? I thought it wasn't good to question the TO about what game they had, not the ruleset or other nuance in particular.

So quick to judge.

Edit: I would ALSO like for you to show me where I aimed this at you at all. I mentioned banning MK, but I did not mention this tournament or you.

That post was a helpful way for me to record my thoughts on the matter(which I will probably more clearly define later on), as well as provide useful insight for anyone who wanted to actually sit and read through the whole thing lol.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I see it as a similar choice you just defended it cause it was melee only and god forbid someone try to change that. Quote the post all you like but you did tell plur it wasn't his place... which wasn't your place. But your always right pp so I'll stop now.

null55

Smash Master
It is not unreasonable for players who are willing to make the sacrifice to attend a tournament that a TO is hosting to question some aspects of a given tournament. Accepting something someone doesn't like is too common already these days, so voicing concern is a good way to understand why decisions are made and to understand the tournament-organizing process(in this case) more thoroughly. \
pp: i love the sh*t out of you.

also, i know the TO owns all the rice, but there's something called popular demand. the bottom line is that whatever the TO wants, he/she (but yeah, he) can do, but in my personal opinion TOs have a slight responsibility to pertain to common interests. similar to the SBR, i think TOs should be somewhat representative of their community (which those dumb ***** suck at, btw. lol so, yeah, i guess not similar to the SBR). i'm not trying to make a point about this case specifically, this is just what i believe (see nick.o.teen's post).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I see it as a similar choice your just defended it cause it was melee only and god forbid someone try to change that. Quote the post all you like but you did tell plur it wasn't his place... which wasn't your place. But your always right pp so I'll stop now.
I doubt this was an attempt to goad me, but really now. An attempt at no argument save an attack on my character and then a follow up of "I'm the bigger man."

Why so defensive? Maybe you are concerned that what I have said could happen and you wish to call me immoral to skew the information after people have read it? I have no qualms with you Bill, but you really like to attempt to create them sometimes.

null55

Smash Master
I see it as a similar choice you just defended it cause it was melee only and god forbid someone try to change that. Quote the post all you like but you did tell plur it wasn't his place... which wasn't your place. But your always right pp so I'll stop now.
damm, bill with the despotic ****. where you at kevin.

EDIT:
I doubt this was an attempt to goad me, but really now. An attempt at no argument save an attack on my character and then a follow up of "I'm the bigger man."

Why so defensive? Maybe you are concerned that what I have said could happen and you wish to call me immoral to skew the information after people have read it? I have no qualms with you Bill, but you really like to attempt to create them sometimes.
DAAMMM, kevin with the v@gina wise ****. where you at bill.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'm just saying pp. I don't see the difference between questioning a ruleset and questions game choices and therefore I find it contradictory that plur or anyone shouldn't be allowed to question a to but people should in the case of rules. I think melee was the difference and so I pointed it out.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I do see a difference between a ruleset/ruling and a game, so I guess that's where we differ. Maybe I won't in time, but for now I do. I'll admit it if I think it through and realize you are correct.

Anyways, I am up to post 7,999. I'll have to log onto my fun alt for the time being.

Estimated wait time until my combo video comes out: roughly 2 weeks. Probly more.

Question: anyone know if I get post count raises if I post in the Melee Back Room?

Edit again: fun alt is banned. I'm going to see if my first choice in SN is still available.

Top Bottom