• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Dem graphix + a game of FFVII's scale = too much memory for one disc.

In fact this was the very reason they initially thought the remake would be flat out impossible.
Even though PSone used CDs and those didn't hold much data compared to DVDs and now, but wasn't FFVII like 3 discs? Hell, Metal Gear Solid wasn't that long, but it was like 2 discs at least which explains a joke in Metal Gear Solid 4.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Even though PSone used CDs and those didn't hold much data compared to DVDs and now, but wasn't FFVII like 3 discs? Hell, Metal Gear Solid wasn't that long, but it was like 2 discs at least which explains a joke in Metal Gear Solid 4.
FFVII was 3 discs, yes.

But the overall graphical fidelity the remake will have in the same scale of world, means it's still gonna be huge memory wise.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Episodic, huh? Interesting.
After further viewing of the trailer, I really want to get everyone's input: Does Cloud's sword in Smash look shorter than in the remake, or in comparison to other materials like the original, or Advent Children?
In the remake trailer, when the sword is "sheathed" (not really, but you know what I mean), the hilt is almost level with his shoulder, and the tip of the blade practically reaches his ankle.
Compare that with this:
fighter_5.jpg

The hilt is a little further up, and the blade is held at an angle, but still.

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
I have the impression that every sword looks sometimes shorter and sometimes bigger than other references.... take Lucina's falchion for instance: in the character select art the sword looks considerably big... when the match starts the in game model looks waaaaaay smaller...

But yes, Buster Sword in the trailer looked way bigger while cloud was roaming around... during combat it seemed a bit smaller

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I have the impression that every sword looks sometimes shorter and sometimes bigger than other references.... take Lucina's falchion for instance: in the character select art the sword looks considerably big... when the match starts the in game model looks waaaaaay smaller...

But yes, Buster Sword in the trailer looked way bigger while cloud was roaming around... during combat it seemed a bit smaller
I'll have you guys know that Link's Master Sword in Smash is much shorter than it is in Twilight Princess as well, most likely for the sake of balance. I wouldn't be surprised at all if something similar was done with Cloud.

Last edited:

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
I'll have you guys know that Link's Master Sword in Smash is much shorter than it is in Twilight Princess, most likely for the sake of balance. I wouldn't be surprised at all if something similar was done with Cloud.
yes thats another good example... TP master sword is HUGE!

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I don't really car how big the Buster sword is in smash. They could make it the size of Roy's sword for all I care. I'm just glad Cloud made it.

I guess like Cloud said

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
Not against the game being broken into multiple parts, just put all the discs in 1 case like the original. If necessary, delay the game to do so. I'd rather not have the game come out in episodes with a wait period between them.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Not against the game being broken into multiple parts, just put all the discs in 1 case like the original. If necessary, delay the game to do so. I'd rather not have the game come out in episodes with a wait period between them.
Maybe if they release the game digitally you can have the whole thing.

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if it's been posted, but, Final Fantasy VII Remake will be part of Square's Jump Festa lineup: https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/673700152331255809

I guess we'll get more info on the game, soon.

I don't really feel too strongly, one way or the other, about the remake being in multiple parts. I'm just gonna wait and see how they handle it. I don't think it's the end of the world.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just noticed Cloud's skin since I watched the trailer on mobile first... Dear lord, he looks sickly. You can see what I think are veins and where his muscles are, but not in a healthy way. Reminds of me of the hospital part of MGSV where Snake's muscles are atrophied. Cloud was, for whatever reason, always skinny-looking, but in a healthy way like how his FFVII render for Advent Children, Crisis Core, and Dissidia show him, but the remake makes him look sickly. Is it ever stated how much time passes between Crisis Core and the start of FFVII? If it's barely a month, then it would make total sense for Cloud to look sickly since he was a Mako poisoned veggie - muscles were wasting away with him not moving much - for the end of Crisis Core and as the game progresses, Cloud becomes healthier, but man, he looks really, really weak.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So... FF7 remake is episodic? That's an actual shame. Just put the thing on multiple discs like you used to! Not buying anymore.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
While I won't say the episodic idea is a good or a bad one, I'm reserving my judgement until it comes out/more info is presented.

I've never been the kneejerk type.

Also note that Final Fantasy 4 the After Years had an Episodic format and it was decent, it would later be released as one whole so the chances of that happening here are also significant.

Last edited:

SSJ X Cloud Strife

Smash Rookie
Man, I don't know how I feel about this episodic thing.
When I hear episodic, I think Telltale games. And while some of those games are fun (Back to the Future), the genre they use allows for episodes. And even then, waiting for each episode or even waiting for the entire compilation to be packaged together (if ever?)

I like the idea of having one complete game (even if it's across multiple discs) in a single purchase. Then I can take my time exploring the world and not be restricted by timed releases. :ohwell:

Also, how would special editions work? I was imagining them releasing another Cloud Strife statue to go with my other 2. :smirk:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I'm glad to hear that Cloud's sickly look is partly intentional. That means it's unlikely to be permanent.

SSJ X Cloud Strife

Smash Rookie
After reading that NeoGaf post, I gotta say I feel much better about the episodic thing. I understand the undertaking is huge. And the scope of which they're trying to achieve, but I just hope that at the end of the day we'll have the entire Planet to explore by the last chapter. Like the original Disc 3.

And if they're adding more content and story, maybe we'll find out more about the sick guy in the Sector 5 slums. :b:

Also, I love Dissida and Kingdom Hearts so I don't mind the real time battle change. I just hope any AI controlled team members are good. I'm look at you Donald and Goofy. :glare:
All the party member's design is renewed like Barret.
I hope they don't redesign Tifa too much! I liked what they did with her AC version, and I understand if they want to be a little conservative, but....:facepalm:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm not for or against episodic releases in this case mostly because we don't have a price tag on any of this yet.

Which is why I'm baffled as to hwo people are somehow complaining about how expensive it is when it's a) not out and b) not priced. We don't even know how the episodes are being distributed, let alone how many there are or how much they cost!

I mean this is also ignoring the fact that they handled episodic releases just fine with The After Years and Life is Strange (A game I don't like much at all but it's still a feasible example)

Head scratching intensifies. I understand skepticism and cautiousness but there's a limit to that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I wonder how they'll handle the episodic releases.

Will Square release the first "episode" then make the rest as DLC? If so, will they be paid? Will they be free? Is there gonna be a way to get them offline?

Will Square release each "episode" as a separate game? Is it gonna have each previous "episode" in the next one?

How will they handle it?

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I wonder how they'll handle the episodic releases.

Will Square release the first "episode" then make the rest as DLC? If so, will they be paid? Will they be free? Is there gonna be a way to get them offline?

Will Square release each "episode" as a separate game? Is it gonna have each previous "episode" in the next one?

How will they handle it?
Im thinking they might release 1 disc per episode at separate times. Then when all discs are finished and released, they will just throw them all together into one case.

Which If that's the case I'll just wait for the whole set to be released. I don't wanna no-life the first disc (cuz I will) and then have to wait like 5 months to play more. That will ruin the experience... for me at least.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I would also assume the episodic release design will only apply to consoles in the event they make a PC version. If you think about it, as mentioned elsewhere, average large game these days is around the 50gb mark. I would estimate the FF7 remake is somewhere in the 100gb or higher for the entire game, potentially 150gb or higher.

Could you imagine the nightmare that would be to purchase digitally on console and download the entire thing to your system if you didn't have extra storage devices for it? And then if anything goes wrong with your download/install and you have to redownload it?

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Can I just say that having the remake span three separate discs would be a huge nostalgia trip for me?

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
At the very least, Squeenix now has no excuses when it comes to cutting content. Give me everything Square. Snowboarding, Fort Condor, the sunken submarine, that random forest with the vines and trippy plants, all the side bosses, more side bosses, chocobo racing, etc, etc.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I would also assume the episodic release design will only apply to consoles in the event they make a PC version. If you think about it, as mentioned elsewhere, average large game these days is around the 50gb mark. I would estimate the FF7 remake is somewhere in the 100gb or higher for the entire game, potentially 150gb or higher.

Could you imagine the nightmare that would be to purchase digitally on console and download the entire thing to your system if you didn't have extra storage devices for it? And then if anything goes wrong with your download/install and you have to redownload it?
Im sure they wI'll still make it available through download but I know I won't be getting it that way... but I can definitely see it hitting the 150GB mark.

Imagine that, the original FF7 is around 1.5 GB's and that game was massive... needed 3 disks to even manage the game. Massive scale these days work upwards to 50-60GB. If Squeenix really follows through with the whole game, FF7R could make history.

Morbi

Scavenger

I am already out of internal hard-drive space. So, I suppose this is incentive to finally purchase an additional storage device. It was bound to happen eventually, I mean, we are what? Two years into this console generation. I do not want to buy them digitally; however, at the same time, I am not going to wait for a disc version. I hope that they release a disc version of an episode alongside the digital. That would be most ideal.

D

Deleted member

Well...
Final Fantasy VII is on hold for me.
I bought the game from GameStop during Cyber Monday and it arrived today. Unfortunately, I got the wrong game... I got the right case, but the wrong game. I got Final Fantasy IX...
Granted, I do intend to play that game in the future as well, but I can't play IX because it didn't come with disk 1...
So, I bought another copy online. I hope that I get the right game and the right case.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Well...
I bought the game from GameStop during Cyber Monday and it arrived today. Unfortunately, I got the wrong game... I got the right case, but the wrong game. I got Final Fantasy IX...
Granted, I do intend to play that game in the future as well, but I can't play IX because it didn't come with disk 1...
So, I bought another copy online. I hope that I get the right game and the right case.
Gamestop quality at its finest =P

I've bought a game before and been handed an empty CD case, and was glad I checked it before I left the store.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well...
Hopefully the game actually works too, unlike my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles which stops just before the Monado upgrade.

D

Deleted member

Gamestop quality at its finest =P

I've bought a game before and been handed an empty CD case, and was glad I checked it before I left the store.
They did that before?! That's ridiculous.

Hopefully the game actually works too, unlike my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles which stops just before the Monado upgrade.
I hope the same. The condition Amazon said was "Good", so I hope the game is in actual "Good" condition.
I'll need to test all three disks. I can test that, right? I heard that you can't run the game on disk two until you beat disk one... so I won't know if all three work for several hours.

Morbi

Scavenger

I hope the same. The condition Amazon said was "Good", so I hope the game is in actual "Good" condition.
I'll need to test all three disks. I can test that, right? I heard that you can't run the game on disk two until you beat disk one... so I won't know if all three work for several hours.
When I purchased Mortal Kombat Armageddon quite a few years ago, I returned home to find that the whole disc was snapped in half. I could not return it that night either because we swung by before closing. The only reason it got through was because I bought a new copy. If it was used, I would have been more than frustrated.

That being said, they gave us another copy, no problem... And some store credit. Things were different back then.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke

They've also sold my collectors edition pre-order to other people before, and been so lazy they didn't want to check the back to see if my game was in that I pre-ordered and told me it hadn't arrived. After a total 24 mile drive and getting home, the manager called and said it was there and the people working just didn't bother checking.

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Minecraft for Wii U? That's the "BIG" news Nintendo was hyping us up for? (sigh) fine, what ever. Better then never. This is still should have happened along time ago though.

Morbi

Scavenger
Minecraft for Wii U? That's the "BIG" news Nintendo was hyping us up for? (sigh) fine, what ever. Better then never. This is still should have happened along time ago though.
If it should have happened a long time ago, does that not by extension imply that it is indeed "BIG" news. I mean, I was expecting Ridley myself, but this is still big. It does not pertain to my interests either, but I still understand that this is quite the large announcement.

SonicvMario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicvMario
3DS FC
4957-5533-0802
If it should have happened a long time ago, does that not by extension imply that it is indeed "BIG" news. I mean, I was expecting Ridley myself, but this is still big. It does not pertain to my interests either, but I still understand that this is quite the large announcement.
It's not really big news when you consider that Minecraft is on everything nowadays. Anyone who really wanted it could very easily have gotten it before now. The Wii U version is really only there to appease people stubborn enough not to get any of the other versions.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's not really big news when you consider that Minecraft is on everything nowadays. Anyone who really wanted it could very easily have gotten it before now. The Wii U version is really only there to appease people stubborn enough not to get any of the other versions.
Nowadays, but prior to the announcement it was not on the Wii U and Wii U exclusive gamers did not have access to it. :troll:

Okay, fine, I admit that I also find the news to be less than stellar and not entirely "big." You got me!

Top Bottom