• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Given the demographics of this thread, the big question about the remake is of course, "what do you think about the fact that it is now confirmed to be action based instead of turn based?" I'm personally fine with it and I thought it should have been expected that it would action-based instead of turn based. What do you all think?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Given the demographics of this thread, the big question about the remake is of course, "what do you think about the fact that it is now confirmed to be action based instead of turn based?" I'm personally fine with it and I thought it should have been expected that it would action-based instead of turn based. What do you all think?

There is a gauge on the bottom right that could be the ATB gauge or the Limit Gauge.

If it's the former, then it'd be a fusion of KH/FFXV, and Lightning Returns/OG FFVII.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I just notice that the PC port release for the PS4 has finally come out today. Also i have seen the trailer and i think the new combat system will be fun.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP

There is a gauge on the bottom right that could be the ATB gauge or the Limit Gauge.

If it's the former, then it'd be a fusion of KH/FFXV, and Lightning Returns/OG FFVII.
The gauge fills up when Cloud attacks the enemy, which would make more sense for a Limit Gauge. Granted the gauge didn't fill up this way in in FF7, but if it becomes more action oriented this change makes sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>FFVII Remake plays like Kingdom Hearts

IT LITERALLY SHOT UP MY RADAR A WHOOOOOLE LOT

Also now I HAVE to play the original since it's basically a different game.

I should get a PS4 soon, because the remake looks freaking amazing!

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
First off, the game looks epic. Its dark and edgy and it just looks fantastic.

I think it'll be interesting to see Final Fantasy 7 as a action based game. Imagine what Omni-Slash will look like in that form.

Also I hope this guy plays Cloud in Smash.

Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype!

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Can we talk about how the remake seems to be gutting the combat and turning it into DMC or KH. It hardly looks like the same game. I doubt it will even feel like it. Idk it just seems like this is game that knows what people are expecting and already has a huge fanbase. FF7 has been super warped and distorted over the years via the fans, games extending the universe, changing the characters, etc. It won't be similar enough for me to enjoy it, I guess.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
One thing that stuck out to me:

This has to be the scrawniest Cloud has ever looked. Except for maybe Crisis Core but it was understandable there.

I think they should bulk him up a bit, he literally looks malnourished.

Really the only thing I didn't like here.

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
Doooooooooood.

Square made a great call on the gameplay. I love the different playstyles of Barrett and Cloud. This looks incredible.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can we talk about how the remake seems to be gutting the combat and turning it into DMC or KH. It hardly looks like the same game. I doubt it will even feel like it. Idk it just seems like this is game that knows what people are expecting and already has a huge fanbase. FF7 has been super warped and distorted over the years via the fans, games extending the universe, changing the characters, etc. It won't be similar enough for me to enjoy it, I guess.
It's not gutting the combat, it's making it better.

FFVII's battle system is extremely dated and primitive in today's world. And has actually been beat by other similar games *coughFFIXcough*.

The Kingdom Hearts battle system is basically the FFVII battle system made real time. It's a perfect fit. You have all of the same options but now you have an extra layer of strategy pertaining to movement, spacing, etc.

And the world easily looks more interesting to explore, and being able to see enemies and fight in real time rather than having random encounters and being whisked to a battle map, is much more immersive.

A remake would serve no purpose if it was just the exact same thing with updated graphics. Then it'd be just a remaster.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Meh. I am not a big FF fan in general. 7 is the one I enjoy the most so far, but there's a lot I don't like about it. Maybe the remake will fix them. I just am wary of anything SquareEnix makes. I've consumed enough of their product to not be.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

This has to be the scrawniest Cloud has ever looked. Except for maybe Crisis Core but it was understandable there.

What if he becomes buffer as the story goes on?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But I still think that what I said makes sense.

As his character develops, he'd be stronger and his body could be a visualization of that.
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense.

I just think even for a starting point under that idea, he's a bit TOO skinny. Like I said, he literally looks malnourished. Like he isn't in good health.

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
The trailer gave me very high hopes. I'll go over everything:

Music: Great of course. I wasn't expecting anything too similar to the original versions, but instead slight reimaginings to better fit 2015. I wasn't blown away by it, but it still captures the atmosphere well.

Voice Acting: I'll have to wait for more footage to judge this. I'm not very picky on it, so it seems fine to me.

Gameplay: At first I was a bit worried when I saw Cloud going through all those corridors, like "Oh no, not FFXIII again", but then I realized the whole first Midgar portion of the game is very linear for the sake of setting up the story, so I brushed that off. I'm liking the real time combat with the menu, it seems like it'll retain that RPG feel but also appeal to newer audiences (something that's very important). For everyone that expected it to be Turn-Based... What were you even expecting when this was announced? It looks like we only saw "Attack" commands, so I'm sure the rest of it will be very flashy and whatnot. I'm sure they'll also retain the materia system and do it in a way similar to both Crisis Core and the original.

Graphics/Art: Pfft. This is Square Enix we're talking about. I couldn't expect less. Everything looks like I'd imagine it too, and I'm sure by the time everything gets polished for release it might just have an edge over FFXV. XV seems to have prettier colors by comparison, just by its own art design, and VII has always felt like a darker game atmospherically. They do say XV will be one of the darkest FF's, and I'm sure it will, but man some of those places are just too pretty looking while VII's have always been very drab.

Cloud's Arms: Don't worry guys, they've always been thin, I'm sure they'll slightly buff them up as time goes by. He's always had that silly scrawny look, and I think his malnourished look at that point in the story actually fits when you look at the later events of Crisis Core. He wasn't in the best shape at the end of that game, the footage of this one being not too soon after, story-wise.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Here's the YouTube link:
I can't wait. It looks like Nomura took all his experience from Kingdom Hearts and XV (the demo of which I loved) and applied it to VII.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133

The only thing I find strange is his hair. Its to long. Compare the hair size

That looks like it should be his advent children hair. But other then that, he looks fine.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

That looks like it should be his advent children hair. But other then that, he looks fine.
I think it's because it's drooping down because it's wet from the rain.

Irnkman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Irnkman
I just want to point out, at the end of the trailer they say to "Play it 'first' on Playstation." Possible timed multi-console release? NX version inbound?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
>FFVII Remake plays like Kingdom Hearts

IT LITERALLY SHOT UP MY RADAR A WHOOOOOLE LOT

Also now I HAVE to play the original since it's basically a different game.

I'm guessing Final Fantasy XV and Type-0 were the "prototype" of the remake of Final Fantasy VII. Why do I say this? Ever since Advent Children came out, the developers, especially Tetsuya Nomura if I recall correctly, wanted to make a game like Advent Children where you have control over high-speed, action-y, flashy combat. At the same time, they probably wanted it to be different from Kingdom Hearts where before Birth By Sleep, was mostly a hack 'n' slash that lacked the RPG-ness or strategy-ness of Final Fantasy. Outside of spamming dodges and dealing with insane attacks being spammed at you, Kingdom Hearts' combat was kind of shallow and I would even say cheap even by Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance where there was more of an emphasis of planning your attacks.

With Final Fantasy Type-0 and XV, the combat is leaning towards more like The Witcher games, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect 1, and Dragon Age: Inquisition where combat is real-time and action-y, but also thoughtful in a sense where you can't run in and do whatever or have a one strategy that kills everyone according to the developers' design. Kingdom Hearts 3, however, is leaning more towards something like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Mass Effect 2 and 3, and Bloodborne where the combat is thoughtful, but it's geared more to spectacular, flashy, fun-looking and fun-playing combat. Both can be considered to have similar combat and action RPGs, but what separates them is that Final Fantasy Type-0, XV, and the remake of VII is that they're more "grounded" than Kingdom Hearts.

A question is: is this what fans want? Some might since it's a "remake" and not a "remaster", so they're looking for a new spin or update to the combat. Some might even want this because it's like a playable Advent Children. Some just want a different experience like imagine if Star Fox was remade into a RTS. For some, that's just cool that they can play the same game, but with different gameplay while other's don't since it's "not" Star Fox. Others don't and want FFVII to be updated in performance, graphics, audio, etc.

Funny enough, way back Squaresoft made The Bouncer and it had real time combat like this while being also kind of RPG-y... I think. That's one thing I like about Square Enix: each game, each Final Fantasy, never plays the same for better or worse. Their experiments is one thing I like and appreciate since it makes each game feel fresh rather than feel just innovated or just improved on. I mean, we might not see an action RPG Final Fantasy after FFVII's remake until maybe FFXIX and in the mean time see different takes like perhaps one like Fire Emblem, a throwback to FFIII, or even something insane like a stealth Final Fantasy. Could you imagine that?

Also, business-wise, because of the drastic combat system differences, this might give incentive for players to buy both versions. Now, if they're clever, they could pull a Metro Redux business model where if you own the original or buy the remake, you get a discount on the other game. Square Enix could totally pull this off with Final Fantasy VIII if people really like the differences between the original and the remake since guess what they could do with Squall Leonhart if a remake of FFVIII's combat was real time? Integrate the trigger into combos. Capcom already did this with DMC4, so imagine a collaboration with Square Enix that made FFVIII's combat border levels of DMC, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, etc.

One more thing: one thing I don't like because of this footage: Barret's playable. Nothing against FFVII and in FFVII, party members were controllable in combat, but the reason I don't like this is because FFXV removed this feature so you could only play as Noctis. Sure, Noctis has the teleport thing, but guess what? You can just make it so people are forced to switch to Noctis for exploration purposes and let people play whoever... The fact Prompto's early gameplay footage is like Barret's where you switch to third-person shooter gameplay makes it a bit worse since there were different kinds of gameplay other than hack 'n' slash which Noctis is locked to since using firearms with him just results in a lock-on system.

Irnkman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Irnkman

I think they're probably just going for the more modern look. No complaints from me, I actually prefer the less crazy hair. Also, hoping he gets his Advent Children costume as an alternate, maybe a new game+ reward or something.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At the same time, they probably wanted it to be different from Kingdom Hearts where before Birth By Sleep, was mostly a hack 'n' slash that lacked the RPG-ness or strategy-ness of Final Fantasy.
That's not true at all, especially with KH1, which was considered really difficult on harder difficulties, and strategy was essential to winning.

I'd argue it requires more strategy than FFVII due to all of the dynamic factors at play.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
What if he becomes buffer as the story goes on?
I don't remember the context of this, but it might be what they're planning since they now have the hardware capable of doing this. Or this concept art is just a progression of Cloud's finalized design.

I think they're probably just going for the more modern look. No complaints from me, I actually prefer the less crazy hair. Also, hoping he gets his Advent Children costume as an alternate, maybe a new game+ reward or something.
Less stress on the developers too. One thing they said about Advent Children was that Tifa's dolphin tail hair and I believe Sephiroth's hair and Red XIII's fur were absolute pains to animate properly. This explains why Tifa's hair is much shorter and why Sephiroth and Red XIII have little screen time. I mean, look at Smash alone and not Smash 4 Cloud. Notice how Palutena's hair is a literal seaweed weave and if were animated realistically, I doubt the Wii U would even output 30 FPS and I doubt it wouldn't kill the developers and the game with how it would have to interact with everyone. Cloud having a plastic-y hair style in Smash doesn't really matter when it fits the art style and can be called a reference to his original appearance rather than his modern, toned-down to not kill the developers appearance.

Hair and cloth physics are pains for developers. Some solutions were offered like AMD and Nvidia developing physics-related stuff - software? -, but they taxed the hell out of the systems like you could with a high-end GPU back then, so a GTX 670 or a Radeon 7970 if I remember correctly, get over 60 FPS with Tomb Raider, but once you turn on its hair physics, you can kiss smooth frame rate goodbye, especially its initial release and before all the patching and fine-tuning where now, it's not as taxing, but at the same time, it's not really a big deal. A lot of subtle animation is taken for granted like Cole MacGrath's leg movement for running in inFAMOUS or how in pretty much all Metal Gear Solid games, reload and character-terrain interactions were on-point, but nobody really cared. Hell, Ubisoft even made it a statement to notice how in Assassin's Creed 3, characters would stand on slopes realistically, but last I checked, that wasn't a key thing to Assassin's Creed or any game's success. This also extends to Smash, particularly Falco who for whatever reason, was given fine detail to his animations, but he is notable for having really fast attacks; you'd have to freeze frame to notice that Falco actually holds his Reflector in front of him before kicking and you'd have to slow down the game to 1/4's it speed to tell what he's actually doing for Up Smash. Why? I don't know, but it's kind of sad when fine animation like that goes unnoticed not only because people don't pay attention, but it's animated way too fast, so you can't even tell what's happening.

That's not true at all, especially with KH1, which was considered really difficult on harder difficulties, and strategy was essential to winning.

I'd argue it requires more strategy than FFVII due to all of the dynamic factors at play.
I'm more on Kingdom Hearts requires strategy, but in a faster and/or pre-planned nature where you have to either think on the fly or know what's going to happen and how to respond to it. Final Fantasy is less of that where, especially in turn-based ones, you have all the time you want to think in the middle of combat. You can pre-plan, think on the fly, and think during combat without all the stress of hectic combat.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
That remake trailer further infuriates me because of how Cloud isn't here... yet. It looks like FFVII with the paint job of FFXV but with how Episode Duscae played I'm fine with it. Good on Square for trying to change things up.

Now what are the odds they release both games with Dissidia as part of the most expensive PS4 bundle ever?

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue

Exactly! I came in here to say the same thing. Why does he look so sickly? Like legit, his head doesn't even match his body in that shot. There's no reason why he should be that sickly-looking. Why does Nintendo always treat their third party characters better than the character originators treat them?

I couldn't even enjoy the trailer; that's how bad he looks. I'm hating his hair texture also.

Last edited:

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
On him being in Smash; I can see the Miiverse posts already

On topic though, I am tremendously impressed that they're going for remaking it from the ground up with a new battle system. I couldn't really get into FF7 because of how dated it felt. This fresh coat of paint will make it become a favorite from both the 1990s AND 2010s. Very very impressed.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Its gonna suck seeing Aeris get stabbed in HD

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I can't say I was expecting a trailer. It looks awesome so far, and I don't really mind how they're changing up the combat system to make it a different experience compared to the original. As long as it's still strategic in nature and puts focus on positioning and knowing when to use attacks, it'll still work well. It also helped that I'm far enough now (made it to Corel Prison last night) that I recognized every scene, heh.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have no problem with his design, it's the same old Cloud, it's just his build, specifically the arms, look off model. And just make him look like he should be in the hospital getting food injected into him.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Can't. Stop. Replaying. Trailer. Someone send for help. plz

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Barret voiced by the same guy who did Jet in Cowboy Bebop? (Yep, it is Beau Billingsea - My sister had a hype overload)

That said... HYPE!!! Being familiar with the Kingdom Hearts games, it shouldn't be too difficult to get into the Remake's new combat system! The recreation of Opening - Bombing Mission sounds great, and the graphics are phenomenal!

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Barret voiced by the same guy who did Jet in Cowboy Bebop? (Yep, it is Beau Billingsea - My sister had a hype overload)

That said... HYPE!!! Being familiar with the Kingdom Hearts games, it shouldn't be too difficult to get into the Remake's new combat system! The recreation of Opening - Bombing Mission sounds great, and the graphics are phenomenal!
Beau voiced Barret in Advent Children too, so that probably means everyone's getting their Advent Children voice actors which makes sense since Square Enix kept good contact. Losing contact would suck like how Gabranth had to be voiced by Keith Ferguson, Basch, instead of Michael E. Rodgers in Dissidia. Keith did well, but Rodgers would have just fit without much of an issue.

Top Bottom