• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

51 characters total, reasoning inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
52 characters on initial roster, 8 DLC characters. 60 total.

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Rosalina
  5. Bowser
  6. Yoshi
  7. Wario
  8. Donkey Kong
  9. Diddy Kong
  10. Dixie Kong
  11. King K. Rool
  12. Pikachu
  13. Jigglypuff
  14. Mewtwo
  15. Charizard
  16. Lucario
  17. Greninja
  18. Link
  19. Toon Link
  20. Zelda
  21. Sheik
  22. Ganondorf
  23. Kirby
  24. King Dedede
  25. Meta Knight
  26. Samus
  27. Zero Suit Samus
  28. Ridley
  29. Marth
  30. Ike
  31. Chrom
  32. Fox
  33. Falco
  34. Wolf
  35. Pit
  36. Palutena
  37. Ness
  38. Olimar
  39. Captain Falcon
  40. Ice Climbers
  41. Mr. Game and Watch
  42. R.O.B.
  43. Villager
  44. Wii Fit Trainer
  45. Mii Fighter
  46. Little Mac
  47. Chorus Kids
  48. Shulk
  49. Mach Rider (Sakurai's been trying to add him since Melee... I think this is the one where he'll make his debut)
  50. Sonic
  51. Megaman
  52. Pac-Man
DLC
  1. Snake (only 3rd party character with a decent chance at DLC)
  2. Sceptile (to coincide with the new Hoenn remakes)
  3. Lucas (veteran likely planned to be developed last)
  4. Captain Toad (the amiibo figurine makes me think this could happen)
  5. Ghiralham (Zelda newcomer)
  6. Krystal (new Star Fox game soon... release her alongside it)
  7. Takamaru (highly anticipated retro, gives them time to differentiate him from other sword-wielders)
  8. Chibi-Robo (my most wanted character after Ridley and Mewtwo... he's fairly popular and would provide a unique moveset)
Fix'd.

I'm sorry, but I just find it hilarious that little to no one can get Takamaru's name right. It's as if they are intentionally confusing him a with a certain Japanese boxer. :troll:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If you look at the Kirby and the Rainbow Curse demo title screen, you can see FOUR Bandanna Dees with Kirby.
I don't think that helps him that much. The whole argument I would hear every time is that he's not just another Waddle Dee, he's unique. Now there are four Bandana Dees, I guess that doesn't matter anymore. He's not unique, so that's not an issue anymore. It's like no matter what happens, Bandana Dee supporters think it helps him.

Really shouldn't be talking about this though... This thread ought to just be about what information we can glean from the CSS...

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand people who use the demo's character select screen as reasoning.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Roster Edit based on Gematsu, confirmed assist trophies + enemies in Smash Run, and Ridley likely being a stage boss hazard. If he isn't, one of the Star Fox crew would probably be cut.

literally the most realistic roster in this thread.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I really hope these ideas for 51 are pretty close to correct. If there were only 47, we could be in for a real letdown.

Because, if the Gematsu leak is 100% true, and the devs are as hesitant to cut people as they were for Brawl, we could end up with this:

Meaning the newcomers are the Gematsu 11, Rosalina, and that's it.

The only cuts would be:

Squirtle and Ivysaur are out, Snake seems increasingly unlikely now, and if the leak is true, one of the Mother boys won't make it. Disappointing if you're a fan of any of the four, but still understandable, right?

Well...look at all of these fan favorites who wouldn't make it either:

Among those are the most requested veteran who missed Brawl, the current #1-5 character threads, and one of the most requested "throwback" characters. And to not have a single one of them? It still looks like an amazing game and all, but...wouldn't that character screen feel a little hollow?

(Caveat: the following character discussion includes some opinion. Feel free to disagree.)

The good news is, there's still some hope (Hope will never die?). The 3DS selection screen doesn't necessarily have to follow the same style as the demo, and doesn't even need to be a perfect square. In fact, it'd be for their benefit to leave a little room somewhere for a DLC button (since according to Sal, DLC is on the table), meaning the 8x6 arrangement couldn't work anyway. We only have 33 characters announced, meaning that most likely 14-18 remain...and wouldn't it be a buzz kill for 11 of 14 to be veterans? They'd have to be aware of that, especially with everything we've seen them pull in past Directs.

Furthermore, they may well be willing to cut more characters. If they're deciding between Ness and Lucas, even though Sal says Lucas is more likely to be axed, it means Ness' status as an Original 12 character does not protect him. This might mean we could see the increasingly generic Jigglypuff leave as well. And since Melee cut multiple clones, we might see Wolf leaving, as his status as a half-clone of a character who already had the more prominent Falco as a half-clone could put him in limbo...or because Star Fox just got its first game in over 8 years announced this week, long before the roster was decided on, and they could've decided to only go with 2 Star Fox characters in the initial roster. (But now they're considering putting Wolf, Krystal, or another Star Fox character in as DLC closer to when the new game comes out.) And R.O.B. was such a weird and niche character that perhaps he might end up being a one-off, or perhaps they never did figure out how to get the Ice Clmbers to work properly on the 3DS version, and had to cut them.

Overall...I'm not sure what to think. One one hand, all of this talk might be a combination of wishful thinking and confirmation bias--we did get let down a little by Brawl's final roster, remember. On the other, though, I can get pretty cynical when it feels like the odds are against me, and maybe I'm a little too worried we won't see anyone we don't already know about. Just something to consider and discuss.

(Well, there's a textwall I didn't think I'd be typing right now >_>)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think, really, the biggest thing we have left is how willing Sakurai is to keep his biggest cards hidden.

Assuming the Sal leak is based on presentation info and not actual game info (as in, he only knows characters from past and future presentations and doesn't know characters that aren't going to be revealed pre-launch), Sakurai would/will be keeping his biggest players (the highly-requested Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, etc.) from the spotlight until launch.

Therefore, we have to think -- which does Sakurai value more? The hype garnered by announcing highly-requested characters, or the hype/joy garnered by actually unlocking said characters yourself? This also vaguely fits in with Smash's history, as villains are usually unlockables (especially the likes of K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo).

As I said, it comes down to whether or not we believe Sakurai wants to show us everything before the game comes out, or let us find some of it on our own. As I'm sure many others here think, the Sal leak, on its own, is an incredibly disappointing roster.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Therefore, we have to think -- which does Sakurai value more? The hype garnered by announcing highly-requested characters, or the hype/joy garnered by actually unlocking said characters yourself? This also vaguely fits in with Smash's history, as villains are usually unlockables (especially the likes of K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo).
Prior to Brawl's launch, I believe 4 characters remained secret. I think he values the waves that are created by announcing big names early more, but make no mistake, Lucario is indeed a major star in the Pokemon universe and he was one of the aforementioned 4 that stayed secret. Based on that precedent, it wouldn't surprise me to see Sakurai put a lid on someone like a Mewtwo or a King K. Rool until release.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Prior to Brawl's launch, I believe 4 characters remained secret. I think he values the waves that are created by announcing big names early more, but make no mistake, Lucario is indeed a major star in the Pokemon universe and he was one of the aforementioned 4 that stayed secret. Based on that precedent, it wouldn't surprise me to see Sakurai put a lid on someone like a Mewtwo or a King K. Rool until release.
Agreed. The 47 already mentioned, along with these four: Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool, and one more secret newcomer (going with Mach Rider) for the initial roster.

After release, there could be 9 to 13 DLC characters, and some new stages, alternate costumes, new music, new ATs, new Pokeballs, maybe a new game mode, spread out over a year or two to keep players talking about SSB4.

For characters? I'd say cut veterans from Brawl/Melee (Likely Lucas, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Roy & Snake), newcomers planned for SSB4 but they needed more time to develop (Takamaru and Dixie Kong seem the most likely for this), additional characters for existing franchises that could concede with new releases of games (Krystal, Sceptile, Captain Toad, Impa, Bandana Dee), and one ? addition (Chibi-Robo). Issac from Golden Sun could replace Roy, but he's already been developed in the past and was planned to come back for Brawl. It would be easy to come up with a moveset.
  1. Lucas
  2. Ivysaur
  3. Squirtle
  4. Snake
  5. Roy
  6. Takamaru
  7. Dixie Kong
  8. Krystal
  9. Sceptile
  10. Captain Toad
  11. Impa
  12. Bandana Dee
  13. Chibi-Robo
Those 13, plus the other 51... would be a 99% perfect roster (I'd remove Toon Link and replace him with Ghiralham or Vaati)

And considering there's a lot of people out there who somehow think this will happen, Jigglypuff is the easiest character for the developers to make... no way she's getting removed. Even if she wasn't on the initial roster, she'd be there with Lucas as the first DLC.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok I now think that 51 is more likely than 47.

To have a 47, you would have to not reveal any newcomer beside the sal leak and with little cut from brawl (lucas, ivysaur, squirtle and snake) without including mewtwo. Personally, I wouldn't be disappointed and I would accept that but the problem I have is that some characters has evidences that for me are suspicious enough to consider them. Can anyone tell me why no DK stages have been revealed yet? The ridley thing is so weird that it looks like Sakurai wants to keep him on a 50/50 until whenever he wants. And mewtwo was teased in the greninja trailer (I believe the hands was done to do so). For the DK stage, I can agree the same for kirby and fox but what if they save that for vets reveal like falco or meta knight? In fact, if there was no dk newcomer, then they would have to reveal their stages randomly but now, they could;ve the chance to reveal it along with king k rool. If it sounds far stretched, I'm talking about all those coincidence happening at the same time. Because for this to happen,:

• The DK stages would be revealed randomly
  • The ridley was an hazard even tough it would be very suspicious how it was deconfirmed
  • The Greninja trailer was a mistake and even if Sakurai said he was thinking about mewtwo, he didn't have time to put him in
My point is that I see at least ONE of them (king k rool, ridley and mewtwo) being in the game. I agree that all the 3 things I named could be true but for me, I think it's unlikely. I don't see any other brawl vets cut and I consider the sal leak very credible (reminder, not confirmed). So, I think a 47 would be too "tight" because if it's 47, expect lots of cuts.

I just think 51 and even 50 makes more sense.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Its like, people didn't actually read what I said.

The order the characters appear in this demo will most likely be the same as they do in the final game, and looking at the placement of Marth, its safe to assume that all Rpg characters will be together just like Brawl.

What does this mean? THERE IS NO FREAKING ROOM FOR MEWTWO!! There isn't even room for Wolf if we get 47.

There are two reasons why I'm pretty sure we are getting 51-52

1. Looking at the demo, we can work out Fox will start the third row and Pikachu will end it (hence why he is on the right of Greninja), With Marth there as well, Its safe to assume ALL rpg characters will be together (Just like in Brawl), This means after Fox, Falco and Wolf, we get Marth, Ike, Chrom, Ness, Shulk, Jiggs, Greninja, Lucario, Charizard and Pikachu. Thats 13, so for 12, Someone from here is getting cut.

2. For 47-8, That would mean there would be only one or two newcomers Gematsu didn't mention, why didn't he mention them?

3. We had 4 newcomers not officially revealed before Brawl who were hidden (Lucario was accidental), Some complaints were that there wasn't enough secret newcomers. Other complaints include no female characters, not enough new series represented, too slow. All these problems are being addressed and considering it took us about 6 months before we got Rosalina after E3, which only revealed 3 newcomers compared to Brawls 5 I believe. It looks like he is doing the same here.

And to show you what I'm talking about when I say characters appearing in order, I'll edit it in.

This is brawls starting roster and the order characters appear

Mario > Dk > Link > Samus > Kirby > Fox > Pikachu > Diddy > Zelda > Pit > Meta Knight > Pkmn Trainer > Ike > Peach > Yoshi > Ice Climbers > Dedede > Bowser > Wario > Olimar > Lucas

This is Brawls final roster and the order they appear, Characters absent above are bolded.

Mario > Dk > Link > Samus > Kirby > Fox > Pikachu > Marth > Mr Game & Watch > Luigi > Diddy > Zelda > Pit > Meta Knight > Falco > Pkmn Trainer > Ike > Snake > Peach > Yoshi > Ganondorf > Ice Climbers > Dedede > Wolf > Lucario > Ness > Sonic > Bowser > Wario > Toon Link > R.O.B. > Olimar > Capt. Falcon > Lucas

Now remove the bold characters and what do you get?

Mario > Dk > Link > Samus > Kirby > Fox > Pikachu > Diddy > Zelda > Pit > Meta Knight > Pkmn Trainer > Ike > Peach > Yoshi > Ice Climbers > Dedede > Bowser > Wario > Olimar > Lucas

Now do you see what I'm saying?

You can even do this with the Brawl Demo roster.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think, really, the biggest thing we have left is how willing Sakurai is to keep his biggest cards hidden.

Assuming the Sal leak is based on presentation info and not actual game info (as in, he only knows characters from past and future presentations and doesn't know characters that aren't going to be revealed pre-launch), Sakurai would/will be keeping his biggest players (the highly-requested Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, etc.) from the spotlight until launch.

As I said, it comes down to whether or not we believe Sakurai wants to show us everything before the game comes out, or let us find some of it on our own. As I'm sure many others here think, the Sal leak, on its own, is an incredibly disappointing roster.
One item to consider is that one of the factors behind the initial backlash to Brawl's roster was that none of the hype-worthy characters were unlockable; he blew his load early on the DOJO, so to speak. Balancing the hype reveals before and after release (Mega Man, Mac, Palutena before, the villains after) would be an easy remedy to this problem.

I do find it suspect that, at the most, we're getting just three newcomers hidden post release (if none get announced before September), considering I don't think the entire roster is getting shown before release (Sakurai emphasizing Luigi's pre-release reveal made me believe this). There's also that each of those characters has been teased to some degree, as @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 mentioned above. I'm just not willing to get my hopes up based on bizarre gut feelings at this point.

Last edited:

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
I am relatively confident our final roster (assuming 47 + Random Button, and Mii Fighter being separately selected from CSS) will look something like this. NOTE: I still find a 51 + Random roster likely, I am about 50/50 on us getting 47 or 51.
MyRosterV3.png

Let me explain just a few things;
It is possible that a third DK rep could be in over Ridley.
Assuming Mii isn't on the standard CSS, like other games with them playable, then we have 1 unknown character, I have placed them on row 4, but Chorus Men could easily be on row 4 with a newy being on row 2 instead (braces self for Dark Pit).
For 47 to work one Star Fox character has to go OR Sulk/Ness is bottom row, giving us all 3 SFs and no unknown character (SFs and 3rd row problems are a reason why I find 51 still very plausible).

As for Chrom and Lucina fighting as one like Ice Climbers to rep FE:A's Pair Up system? Just my wishful thinking, I am sure we will just get plain old Chrom.

After typing this all out I am actually starting to lean towards 51 + Random. For 51 I guess the changes would be, a third DK rep in the top row, an unknown character in the 2nd (or 2 if CM is 4th row), all 3 Star Fox reps in 3rd row, and between 0 to 2 unknowns in the 4th row depending on if CM is row 2 or 4 and if Mii is row 4 or separate.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The order the characters appear in this demo will most likely be the same as they do in the final game, and looking at the placement of Marth, its safe to assume that all Rpg characters will be together just like Brawl.

What does this mean? THERE IS NO FREAKING ROOM FOR MEWTWO!! There isn't even room for Wolf if we get 47.

There are two reasons why I'm pretty sure we are getting 51-52

1. Looking at the demo, we can work out Fox will start the third row and Pikachu will end it (hence why he is on the right of Greninja), With Marth there as well, Its safe to assume ALL rpg characters will be together (Just like in Brawl), This means after Fox, Falco and Wolf, we get Marth, Ike, Chrom, Ness, Shulk, Jiggs, Greninja, Lucario, Charizard and Pikachu. Thats 13, so for 12, Someone from here is getting cut.

2. For 47-8, That would mean there would be only one or two newcomers Gematsu didn't mention, why didn't he mention them?

3. We had 4 newcomers not officially revealed before Brawl who were hidden (Lucario was accidental), Some complaints were that there wasn't enough secret newcomers. Other complaints include no female characters, not enough new series represented, too slow. All these problems are being addressed and considering it took us about 6 months before we got Rosalina after E3, which only revealed 3 newcomers compared to Brawls 5 I believe. It looks like he is doing the same here.

And to show you what I'm talking about when I say characters appearing in order, I'll edit it in.

This is brawls starting roster and the order characters appear

This is Brawls final roster and the order they appear, Characters absent above are bolded.

Mario > Dk > Link > Samus > Kirby > Fox > Pikachu > Marth > Mr Game & Watch > Luigi > Diddy > Zelda > Pit > Meta Knight > Falco > Pkmn Trainer > Ike > Snake > Peach > Yoshi > Ganondorf > Ice Climbers > Dedede > Wolf > Lucario > Ness > Sonic > Bowser > Wario > Toon Link > R.O.B. > Olimar > Capt. Falcon > Lucas

Now remove the bold characters and what do you get?

Now do you see what I'm saying?

You can even do this with the Brawl Demo roster.
You're assuming that Jigglypuff will even be back, when we already know that Ness was considered to be cut, while Jigglypuff has far more reasons to be cut than Ness. The only reason the Lucas/Ness debate came up is because he was explaining that Sakurai wasn't sure which to remove. That also means that other cuts are possible, ESPECIALLY that of Jigglypuff, whom was never really all that well liked and is basically a niche character. And she's even far less popular now than she ever was before. That's also assuming all three Star Fox characters are back, which we don't know yet, either.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

This is the only logical thing that I can think of right now based on the idea of this thread.

Less would be - Ridley, Krystal, and Mewtwo/Puff which would drop the random icon (which makes less sense to me than having 51 and a random icon, but that doesn't matter too much). I guess another possibility would be getting a grass starter over Mewtwo/Puff.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Yeah idk what happened to the random icon.....

Anyway, this is the only logical thing that I can think of right now based on the idea of this thread.

Less would be - Ridley, Krystal, and Mewtwo/Puff which would drop the random icon (which makes less sense to me than having 51 and a random icon, but that doesn't matter too much). I guess another possibility would be getting a grass starter over Mewtwo/Puff.
Replace Krystal with a third DK rep and you've probably got it about right. :p

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You're assuming that Jigglypuff will even be back, when we already know that Ness was considered to be cut, while Jigglypuff has far more reasons to be cut than Ness. The only reason the Lucas/Ness debate came up is because he was explaining that Sakurai wasn't sure which to remove. That also means that other cuts are possible, ESPECIALLY that of Jigglypuff, whom was never really all that well liked and is basically a niche character. And she's even far less popular now than she ever was before. That's also assuming all three Star Fox characters are back, which we don't know yet, either.
Jigglypuff is more relevant thanks to her new Fairy type and I've heard she is basically to japan as Capt. Falcon is to us.

And I find it very hard to believe Sakurai would cut characters only to bring back someone he already cut.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

For what it's worth, with my worst-case roster I tried to stick with what we know about the demo one. I ended up moving Ness to the second row because while we have reason to believe the Star Fox, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem characters will be together, we don't know for sure that the Mother rep(s) will join them. A bit of creative maneuvering. Although I suppose something could happen like Ness still being in the third row, but Shulk put on the fourth since he's new and unexpected for those who haven't been in the loop, and the Ice Climbers get shunted to the end of the second row. Nonetheless, I did slip up and put the Pokemon reps before the Fire Emblem ones. >_>

One item to consider is that one of the factors behind the initial backlash to Brawl's roster was that none of the hype-worthy characters were unlockable; he blew his load early on the DOJO, so to speak.
True. Out of Brawl's hidden newcomers, the only one that had any hype was Lucario.

I do find it suspect that, at the most, we're getting just three newcomers hidden post release (if none get announced before September), considering I don't think the entire roster is getting shown before release (Sakurai emphasizing Luigi's pre-release reveal made me believe this). There's also that each of those characters has been teased to some degree, as @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 mentioned above.
I can only hope. Id (Purpose) showed up in the April Direct...and now it's Arena Ferox's alternate theme. Remember how most of the alternate stage themes in Melee doubled as the fight themes for secret characters?

Jigglypuff is more relevant thanks to her new Fairy type and I've heard she is basically to japan as Capt. Falcon is to us.
Is the popularity thing really true? This is the first I've heard of it...

Whether becoming part Fairy helps Jiggs' relevance depends on how finalized the Fairy type was when the roster was made. All we know is that Greninja was in the concept stage; the Fairy type and the likes of Sylveon might not've even been that far.

That said, if Jiggs comes back, I really hope they change up her moveset to include some Fairy attacks and more vocal moves. Disarming Voice as her Neutral B? Moonblast as a Final Smash? Hey, Pit got an overhaul.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I don't know if this has been said, but I have some potential proof that 3DS roster screen will have to scroll. First, take a look at a still from a video that has the player icons on the CSS:

Notice how the 3 CPU icons fit on the Random Icon. It looks to me that as the screen is now, you can barely fit all 4 icons on the same character. If you shrink the roster icons down much further as the roster gets bigger, it won't take long before it will be impossible to fit all 4 player icons on the same character. To me, it seems that this will be the smallest the roster icons will be, and the screen will have to scroll to fit the entire roster.

With that in mind, it seems perfectly possible that the roster could have 51 characters, because space on the 3DS screen wouldn't be an issue.

This is what a 51 character roster could look like on the 3DS (of course, if you don't like my picks, insert your own):

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't know if this has been said, but I have some potential proof that 3DS roster screen will have to scroll. First, take a look at a still from a video that has the player icons on the CSS:

Notice how the 3 CPU icons fit on the Random Icon. It looks to me that as the screen is now, you can barely fit all 4 icons on the same character. If you shrink the icons down much further as the roster gets bigger, it won't take long before it will be impossible to fit all 4 on the same icon. To me, it seems that this will be the smallest the roster icons will be, and the screen will have to scroll to fit the entire roster.

With that in mind, it seems perfectly possible that the roster could have 51 characters, because space on the 3DS screen wouldn't be an issue.

This is what a 51 character roster could look like on the 3DS:

Yeah, that's a really good point. Looks like the 3DS will have to scroll no matter what, which really makes it completely and totally pointless to try and guess how many characters can possibly fit onto the 3DS and on the Wii U, the screen will be big enough that the icons can scale down significantly.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just noticed one thing about the 3ds. Those are 3ds XL? because the CSS barely fits the screen like it fits JUST enough. What if I use a regular 3ds which can't be done for using this demo?

Sounds like a place holder for the 3ds CSS.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Normal 3DS and 3DS XL have the same size resolution. The CSS would still be the exact same image on both systems.

51 honestly looks too big on the sides. There isn't enough free space on the sides when compared to Melee and Brawl.

I really want to believe 51 though because the roster is really disappointing with just Gematsu + Rosalina

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Normal 3DS and 3DS XL have the same size resolution. The CSS would still be the exact same image on both systems.

51 honestly looks too big on the sides. There isn't enough free space on the sides when compared to Melee and Brawl.

I really want to believe 51 though because the roster is really disappointing with just Gematsu + Rosalina
I still think there's likely more newcomer than the sal leak. The sal leak is just not enough honestly and 47 would be with more cut imo.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
51 fits snugly with minimal changes to the size of the boxes.

If they want some more border space, it wouldn't be that much more of a change to shrink the boxes down slightly more to create more border space.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'm optimistic. I'm going to bank on 51 as the final roster. The leak missed Rosalina; I'm sure it could have missed more.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Notice how the 3 CPU icons fit on the Random Icon. It looks to me that as the screen is now, you can barely fit all 4 icons on the same character. If you shrink the roster icons down much further as the roster gets bigger, it won't take long before it will be impossible to fit all 4 player icons on the same character. To me, it seems that this will be the smallest the roster icons will be, and the screen will have to scroll to fit the entire roster.

This is what a 51 character roster could look like on the 3DS (of course, if you don't like my picks, insert your own):

Interesting, I might need to edit my layout.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Welp, I can't fit Bandana Dee on the 3DS roster now assuming it scrolls down.

What I'm getting at the moment is:

Top Row:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Yoshi

Second Row:
DK, Diddy, K Rool, Wario, Olimar, Capt. Falcon

Third Row:
Zelda 5, Shulk

Forth Row:
Samus, Zero Suit, Ridley, Pit, Palutena, Chibi Robo? (Or another single rep character)

Fifth Row:
FE3, Kirby 3

Sixth Row
Ice Climbers, Takamaru, Little Mac, Fox, Falco, Wolf

Seventh Row:
Pokemon 5, Ness

Eighth Row:
Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Men, Mr Game & Watch, R.O.B. Mii

Ninth Row:
Pac-Man, Megaman, Sonic, Random

Does anyone else find it worrying that a third Kid Icarus character would fit perfectly on both rosters? I wonder if I should replace Chibi with Dark Pit :/

Well damn... Dark Pit... Hopefully if we do get one, its Hades.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If you compare with my roster.

Yes i did factor you can scroll the 3ds screen for the other half of the roster.

(26 on one side and 26 on the other.)

Wii u you do not have too.

Last edited:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
People does not understand yet...
Guys, the leaked newcomers are probably going to be the only remain newcomers.
SSB4 is not going to have more or equal newcomers than brawl.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I copied this from a thread I made that since got locked, the moderator directed me here.
I apologize in advance for the crudeness of my diagram here. This is what I put together using a demo screen and final release screen (of all unlocked characters). Both of my original screens were in proportion with eachother.

As you can see, in the top left is a box from the demo.
On the right you can see the final one.

To get the ratio of the the final box, from the original demo box, you have to shrink the demo box horizontally by 75%, and vertically by 69%.

So there, mathmatical proof that the final CSS boxes were NOT the same aspect ratio as the demo ones.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Oh, one more thing I should point out.

Notice how Brawl, Melee, and 3DS look
Melee
Brawl
3DS

You'll notice that they are generally more box shaped, with the width being slightly longer than the length. Now look at the Wii U screen

Wii U

Notice how the width is a lot longer than the length. By about as much as 33% bigger. Those the width of the Brawl and 3DS screen are still larger, they are not by much and are more square like. In the link I posted, the OP said that one version will have to change. Based on how other select screen look, it's more likely the Wii U one will cgange. There is also what Anvil said and that proportions changed from the demo to release.

EDIT: Props to Anvil for making this

This is a picture of the Demo and the final release. You'll see here that the to proportions are very similar to the Wii U demo. Again, the width is about 33 percent or so greater than the length. This wasn't the case in the final version.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Oh, one more thing I should point out.

Notice how Brawl, Melee, and 3DS look
Melee
Brawl
3DS

You'll notice that they are generally more box shaped, with the width being slightly longer than the length. Now look at the Wii U screen

Wii U

Notice how the width is a lot longer than the length. By about as much as 33% bigger. Those the width of the Brawl and 3DS screen are still larger, they are not by much and are more square like. In the link I posted, the OP said that one version will have to change. Based on how other select screen look, it's more likely the Wii U one will cgange. There is also what Anvil said and that proportions changed from the demo to release.
Yes, that's a good point that the select screen boxes have only ever been square as opposed to rectangular in the past Smash games.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
People does not understand yet...
Guys, the leaked newcomers are probably going to be the only remain newcomers.
SSB4 is not going to have more or equal newcomers than brawl.
U kidding bro

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's a bit silly to try to predict the number of characters based on how many you can fit.

If they have X number of characters, they'll find a way to fit them. At the same time, just because they can fit X number of characters doesn't mean they will.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
It's a bit silly to try to predict the number of characters based on how many you can fit.

If they have X number of characters, they'll find a way to fit them.
Yup. That's what I've been saying. Still I think based on how everything looks, we can at least say that it will be 4 by X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom