• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4/19 Gigabits - The Melee exploded into a Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
So after a series of Melee the competition level Escalated into a Brawl! That's right this is the first Gigabits Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament!

So heres the run Down:

Date:

April 19th 2008

Format: Doubles, Singles

Time:

Doubles Starts: 11:30am

Singles Starts after Doubles but not earlier then 2pm

-Note For those that haven't been to a Gigabits Tournament before these are an all day affair if participating in Doubles and Singles you will probably be here from around 11am to around 9pm (depending on how many people show).

Gamer Fees:

Doubles: $10 admission per player ($20 per team)
Singles: $15 admission per player

Rules= Stock
Stock = 3
Handicap = Off
Damage Ratio = 1.0
Friendly Fire = On
Self-destruct = -1
Items = Off

Both tournaments are Double Elimination as well as best two out of three with the semifinals and finals best 3 out of 5.

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Banned:

Pipes (Yoshi's Island - Melee)
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Onett
Green Greens
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Pokemon Stadium 2
Bridge of Eldin
Big Blue
Mario Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
New Pork City
Summit
75M
Mario Bros. Old
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
WarioWare
Spear Pillar

Prizes:

Doubles:

First Place team will receive 50% of doubles admission
Second Place team will receive 15% of doubles admission
Third Place team will receive 5% of doubles admission

Singles:

First Place will receive 50% of singles admission
Second Place will receive 15% of singles admission
Third Place will receive 5% of singles admission

Snacks and Food Available for Purchase at Gigabits (stock permitting)

- Pepsi Products (Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Teas, Juices, and more)
- Bawls
- Monster
- Redbull
- Headshot
- Dominos Personal Pan Pizzas (Gigabits sells 1 topping Dominos personal pan pizzas for 5 dollars including a can of soda).
- Chips (Lays Producets)
- Candy (Lots of different Candy Bars, Airheads, etc etc)
- Doughnuts, Honeybuns, Etc.

Also located just in our Plaza is:

Dominos Pizza
Silver Mine Subs
Anmol Indian Cuisine
Miss Saigon Vietnamese
Lazy Moon Pizza (30 inch pizzas, huge slices run like 3-4 dollars which is awesome)
Jeremiahs Italian Ice
Millie's Jamican Cafe
Great China Chinesse
Fusian Sushi and Japenesse
Broadway Pizza
McDonalds
Bangkok Square Thai and Sushi
El Cerro Mexican

all that just in our plaza and more in the area. Yes, you are allowed to bring outside food and drink into the store.

12243 University Blvd.
Orlando, FL, 32817

Across The Street from UCF in the plaza with McDonalds and the El Cerro Mexican Restaurant. The plaza is called University Shoppes.

Gigabits is in the middle of the plaza next to Miss Saigon Vietnamese and Anmol Indian Cuisine.

Directions:

Coming off 417 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida, University Blvd.

Go straight down university heading for UCF. Gigabits is in the plaza on the left side of the street at the intersection of University Blvd and Alafaya Trail. (Across the Street from UCF).

Coming off 408 (toll road)

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida - You stay on 408 till it literally turns into Challenger Parkway. Stay on Challenger Parkway until you reach the intersection of Challenger and Alafaya Tr.

Hang a right on Alafaya Tr.

Contiune on Alafaya Tr. until you reach the intersection of University and Alafaya. Turn left here and take the next right then again the next immediate right and you will be in Gigabits' Plaza.

See GIGABITS website at www.gigabitslan.com

*NOTE* Gigabits will provide some TVs and WII systems but we will need more so we can hold friendlies and make the tournament go smoothly.

TOURNAMENT RESULTS

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
I disagree, pools should be 3 stock followed by a 4 stock bracket.
3 stock is pretty bad since 1 SD=Loss of match.
Truuuuu...

And plus after you get good at brawl 3 stocks go by too fast, with new gimps and ways to kill 4 stocks go by just as fast as they did in melee. I mean its not like a fox ditto fast, but its still preety quick.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
if anything do TWO STOCK pools and 3 stock bracket. lol how many times you guys gotta get reminded this is a different game its so hard to die that you dont need the rules to compensate for gimps that much. Plus you need the tournament to end in a single day.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
I have not played a single match that was under 4 minutes in brawl so far. Some go as far as 7 minutes (my matches against DA wes were up to 7 and 8 minutes) and all my other matches here have been 4 or 5. I havent heard anyone who has been playing brawl seriously now suggest anything more than 3 stock. Japan is doing 2 stocks for regular matches. <_<

Frames

DI
Oh snap, first brawl gigs! This is gonna be sweet!

On a serious note however, since you can no longer transfer saves between consoles, it is important that everyone bringing a setup has all characters/stages (even though you guys probably got them all the first night).

Jadin Xquire

Smash Cadet
Just as suggestion in special brawl mode if gravity is put on heavy it feels alot like melee. Its less floaty. For the players who like their fast faller chars to actually fast fall then this would be a plus.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
High Gravity Mode ***** character's recoveries.

Neutral stages should be something similar to: Battlefield, FD, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, and Yoshi's Story.

Two or Three stock is fine.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
High Gravity Mode ***** character's recoveries.

Neutral stages should be something similar to: Battlefield, FD, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, and Yoshi's Story.

Two or Three stock is fine.
Frigate isn't too bad. And Poke Stadium 1 could be used.

OH! And Delfino Cruise or whatever. Thats no even that bad....probably a counter pick.

All I know is that Skyworld is ****ing banned.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Frigate isn't too bad. And Poke Stadium 1 could be used.

OH! And Delfino Cruise or whatever. Thats no even that bad....probably a counter pick.

All I know is that Skyworld is ****ing banned.
Yeah, Delfino Plaza seems alright, and Skyworld ****ing sucks. The first time me and apollo played there, we SD'd like 5 times. **** that stage.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Frigate Orpheon as a counterpick would be fine.

Not as a random.

Pokemon Stadium 1 is really gay now.

Finch

Smash Lord
I'm definitely down for this.

And I hate orpheon. If the stage switches while you're trying to edgeguard it ends up being person edgeguarding = below stage and person trying to recover = completely safe.

Neutral stages should be obvious at this point. Pretty much what Rx said + Pokemon Stadium 1

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Pokestadium 1. Those are the maps that should be random picked neutral stages in tournament play from what I can see. So yeah, I agree with Rx.

A lot of stages should be counter pickable from what I can see. Only a few like Pit's stage, Pictochat, Electroplankton and the like should be banned.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I don't really like Frigate Orpheon either.. if it flips while your recovering sometimes you just die.

Also I'd rather have pokemon stadium 1 as a counter pick now, the changes are kind of annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom