• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Train Your Brain by Smashing! Dr. Kawashima for SSB4! (Deconfirmed, But at Least he's an AT!)

Do you expect Dr. Kawashima to be in the next Smash Bros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
(Had to make this eventually..)

Game: Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (Nintendo DS May 19, 2005)

Dr. Kawashima is a character from the popular series Brain Age. In the Brain Age series, you are assigned in different games by the professor to finish it as quick as possible to stimulate your brain. You might be wondering, how in the world can this character be eligible for Smash? Well, Brain Age is a very popular series, with the first game selling over 19.00 million copies, even winning awards for innovation and quality, similar to the amount of success Animal Crossing and Wii Fit had. If Sakurai wanted characters from popular casual series, Dr. Kawashima is the answer. The uniqueness of a floating teacher head is beyond different from the rest of the cast, considering that he picked Wii Fit Trainer and Villager because of uniqueness, this easily applies to Dr. Kawashima. Also before you say it, Dr. Kawashima is the fictional adaptation of the real life professor, I consider that not much of an issue. With that said, I'll post a moveset:

Arguments:

1. He did not originate from a videogame!
Sakurai may have changed his mind, probably on many things lately such as the Villager being too peaceful.
He could very well change his mind and let Dr. Kawashima bypass the rule because of his importance to Nintendo.

2. He has too much competition against other characters!
He does not have to listen to the fans popular requests, as he could possibly add Kawashima because of his great moveset potential. (In a similar situation to why Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were added)

3. He's from a casual franchise!
Just because he is from a casual franchise, does not mean it will stop Kawashima's inclusion. That's a pretty poor excuse, as Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are from casual franchises.

4. He has no moveset potential!
He does have potential if you try hard enough. Easily his attacks can be derived from education and some of the activities in the Brain Age Games.

5. He's difficult to program!
Dr. Kawashima is literally only a head with floating heads, I think that would be easier to make than characters with bodies don't you think?

Dr. Kawashima's Playstyle:
Dr. Kawashima starts as a slow but fast attacker. As you keep attacking your opponents (about 5 times to get 5 EXP points), you gain your level goes up one, just like in the Concentration Training (In which you go up a level depending on the amount of correct answers you get). The maximum level is 5, which turns him into Devilish Kawashima. In which Kawashima is x1.5 better on all stats. Although if you get hit enough times, you go down a level, lowering your overall stats. Although additional things like dodging at the right time allows you to gain an EXP point. Being KOed will automatically lower his stats to level 1. You can also gain EXP through a special move called Concentrate. Dr. Kawashima is a heavy character, it kinda figures for his big head. He is relatively slow in speed, but surprisingly powerful. Mastering Kawashima requires the player to not get hit, in order to gain EXP points for better stats.

Dr. Kawashima Moveset:

Normal Attacks:

Neutral A Combo: Dr. Kawashima makes two punches from left to right, finishing with diagonal uppercut.
First Hit: 2% Second Hit: 3% Third Hit: 4%

Side-A: Dr. Kawashima makes a long straightfoward punch at the opponent. 6%

Dash-A: Dr. Kawashima spins himself to make a relatively fast spin punch, has high knockback. 7%

Up-A: Dr. Kawashima makes numbers come up on his head (only numbers 1-5), depending on the number is the amount of damage the opponent receive. Has a small hitbox, but can be used consecutively.

Down-A: Dr. Kawashima punches with both his hands near the ground. Can be used consecutively. 3%

Aerial Attacks:

N-Air: Dr. Kawashima quickly spins his fists around his head, has good knockback. 6%

F-Air: Dr. Kawashima does a long horizontal straightforward punch. Has a small hitbox and but has great knockback. 8%

B-Air: Dr. Kawashima quickly spin punches backwards at the opponent. Has low knockback. 6%

U-Air: Dr. Kawashima summons the ship from the Brain Age activity Word Attack: Space. It shoots straight forward short ranged straightforward vertical shots. Can be used consecutively, but has a thin hitbox.

D-Air: Dr. Kawashima summons a book that flips pages to multi-hit the opponent. 9%

Grabs:

Forward Grab: Dr. Kawashima quickly spintosses the opponent. 5%

Back Grab: Dr. Kawashima tosses the opponent, then shooting the opponent with random letters. Similar to Fox's back grab. 8%

Up Grab: Dr. Kawashima spins himself excessively fast along the opponent, then tossing the opponent upward. 9%

Down Grab: Dr. Kawashima traps the opponent in a cup. Dr. Kawashima can keep hitting the cup until the opponent escapes. Inspired from the Brain Age Devil Training Activity, Devilish Cups. Does no damage.

Smash Attacks:
Down Smash: Dr. Kawashima Summons 2 mice icons from both sides that attack a long range, from the Brain Age: Concentration Training activity, Devilish Mice. Similar to SSF2's Black Mage's D-Smash. 14% at full charge

Forward Smash: Dr. Kawashima summons a block-head to kick the opponent. From the Brain Age activity, Sum Totaled: Battle. 16%

Up Smash: Dr. Kawashima slowly charges to make an uppercut. Has the longest melee range out of all Smash attacks, but has a small hitbox. 18%

Special Moves:

N-Spec: Brain Age Test: When Dr. Kawashima is near an opponent, he is able to confuse the point by using this special move, planting math equations to the brain. When planted by the Brain Test, you have to press certain buttons to escape the Brain Test, like on LVL 1, you only have to press one button on the D-Pad to escape the Brain Test, pressing the wrong button will give the opponent 1% of damage. And on LVL. 5, the Brain Test requires you to press 5 buttons in order to escape the Brain Test. Perhaps you can customize which buttons the opponent has to press, it would be sorta (sorta) like a charge move, when you start using the move, Dr. Kawashima will be immobile, and you must press one direction on the d-pad to make the charge. Then when you release it to the opponent, he will have to follow the exact same directions you pressed earlier.

S-Spec: Word Throw: Dr. Kawashima throws a word like a spear. The longer you charge, the bigger the range, the word, and speed. 16% at full.

U-Spec: Word Attack: Dr. Kawashima summons the Word Attack ship yet again, this time being use as a recovery.
he can also shoot the opponent from above and is able to angle the shots. 5% for each shot.

D-Special: Concentrate: Dr. Kawashima makes himself concentrate to gain an EXP point to gain levels (as part of Kawashima's playstyle. Every 5 times you use the move consecutively, you gain one EXP point. This move will be used plenty during the battle when opponents are distracted. This move can also be used as shield damage, similar to how Olimar is shielded during the Whistle move.

Final Smash:
Super Devilish Training: Dr. Kawashima turns into Devil Kawashima, if you are close the opponent, The opponent will be sucked into a black hole sucking words up. Does tons of damage in the end.

Taunts:
Alternative suggestion for the taunt setup:

U-Taunt: Curious Chin.
S-Taunt: Speed Dial
D-Taunt: Glasses Tweak.
Any Taunt in Demon Form: Malicious Fingers.

This gets in all four and removes the problem of one taunt forcing a mode change.
Taunt 1: Dr. Kawashima slightly lifts his glasses to give an impression.
Taunt 2: Dr. Kawashima turns to Devilish mode temporarily to scare the player with his moving fingers.
Taunt 3: Dr. Kawashima brings up a cellphone and dials random numbers.

Old Moveset:​
Attributes:
Power: Dr. Kawashima has a surprising amount of attacks that can KO an opponent.
Speed: Dr. Kawashima is at the speed of Falco.
Jump Height: He doesn't jump too high, but he's slightly better than Bowser's.
Weight: Surprisingly heavy for a big head like Dr. Kawashima.

MOVESET:
Standard Attacks:
AAA: Kawashima attacks by summoning a number problem. The first hit summons a random number between 1-3%, The second hit does the same as the first, with a plus next to the number. The final hit ends with and =number, adding the both numbers% to the final hit.
A-Side: Kawashima attacks with the teacher stick, doing moderate knockback. 8%
A-Down: Kawashima sweeps his stick on the floor, does good knockback and is much fast to execute than A-Side. 6%
A-Dash: Kawashima quickly sweeps his stick up, has good range and can knockback an opponent upward.
A-Up: Kawashima speaks up random words in the air above his head, that does good damage to the opponent. This move can repeated pretty quickly and can be used a temporary (breakable)shield, so it's a good guarding attack from above. 3%

Aerial Attacks:
A-Neutral: Kawashima swings his stick sideways. His hand in the back also damages the opponent with good knockback. A good surrounding move. 7%
A-Forward: Kawashima punches in surprisingly long range straightly. This attack is pretty powerful in knockback, but it's hard to aim because of his small hand. 8%
A-Back: Kawashima summons a random letter behind him, has instant start-up, so it's a good quick attack to use 5%
A-Down:Kawashima slices his stick down for a meteor smash. Although aiming can be hard. 12%

Grabs:
Grab-Forward: Kawashima throws the opponent like a baseball pitch. Has surprising knockback. 5%
Grab-Back: Kawashima spintosses the opponent hard. Also has surprising knockback. 8%
Grab-Down: Kawashima slams his grapple and rubs the opponent like an eraser. 5%
Grab-Up: Kawashima tosses the opponent upward. 7%

Smash Attacks:
D-Smash: Dr. Kawashima slams two books on both sides to ground. Does great knockback. At max damage: 14%
S-Smash: Kawashima stabs the opponent with a giant pencil, it will occasionally change into a stylus (Which is weaker than the pencil). 13%
U-Smash: Kawashima thinks of a number that rises up to 10% that does corresponding damage, the longer you charge, the bigger the knockback and damage. At max damage: 10%

Taunts:
D-Taunt: Dr. Kawashima laughs!
Side Taunt: Dr. Kawashima tells you,"Great job!" and gives you a thumbs up.
U-Taunt: Dr. Kawashima spins and makes a fist pump.

Special Moves:
B-Neutral: Brain Test: Dr. Kawashima summons his teacher stick, anyone who comes near him when uses it will be confused and immobile for a while.

B-Side: Word Surfing: Dr. Kawashima surfs onto barrage of letters that multi-hits the opponent. This also gives him a good horizontal recovery. 12%

B-Up: Levitate: Dr. Kawashima creates a psychic wave in his brain that allows him to levitate for a few seconds. The recovery is slow like (Brawl) Pit's recovery move.

B-Down: Pick a Number: Dr. Kawashima plucks up a number from the ground. The number he get's gives the corresponding damage to the opponent if he is hit by the number. The bigger the number, the harder the knockback and damage. The numbers range from 0% to 20%

Other Special Moves:​
Up-B: Word Surfing: Dr. Kawashima rides a wave of words as they tumble the opponent with multi-hit damage.
B-Neutral: Lecture: Dr. Kawashima stops an opponent nearby and plants mathematical equations into the opponent to confuse the opponent.
B-Down: Concentrate: Dr. Kawashima concentrates hard to add 1% percent of damage to every attack. The maximum you can get is 10% Once you use an attack, the effect of Concentrate disappears.
B-Side: Word Throw: Dr. Kawashima throws a random word to the opponent. The projectile is randomized, there will be a different word. The bigger the word, the bigger the range and damage.​

You guys probably know what his Final Smash would be:

When close to the opponent, use the Final Smash, and he will grab the opponent to do certain math problems as quickly as possible. If the player does not answer quickly enough, he will get damaged 20% each time he misses. In the end of the Final Smash, Dr. Kawashima tosses the opponent hard in the air for a KO.​

Victory Themes:
1. Dr. Kawashima spins and shows off a "tada" pose.
2. Dr. Kawashima advices the players to train harder.
3. Dr. Kawashima laughs!

Dr. Flinn's Moveset:​
Neutral Special- Divide

If Dr. Kawashima just hit an opponent in the recent 5 seconds, they get hit with half the damage they took, as if he was dividing it by 2.

Side Special- Spelling Test

Dr. Kawashima spells the word K-A-W-A-S-H-I-M-A. Each letter does 2%, making a maximum of 16%.

Down Special- Brain Age

Dr. Kawashima will start saying random things in a speech bubble that have to do with Brain Age, and if an opponent attacks him and his Super Armor, they'll get stunned.

Up Special- Levitate
Self-explanatory.

Potential Alt. Costumes:

Screenshots:

Kawashima Kirby:​

Articles of Kawashima being Super Smash Bros.
http://retroblogger.co.uk/post/59771229124/3-reasons-why-dr-kawashima-will-feature-in-the-next

Dr. Kawashima Requested during Brawl times.
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

Dr. Kawahima being mentioned in the Brawl dojo, it is currently unknown what his stance is in the Brain Age character.
Thought I'd share something with you guys.
I was looking through the Brawl Dojo when I came across something that caught my eye on the

All-Star page...​
"When they’re all lined up like this, it becomes obvious that there is roughly 6-year blank before and after Pikmin. While there have been big series since then like 'Animal Crossing,' 'Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day,' and 'Wii Sports' it does seem that coming up with a completely new character-driven series has gotten more difficult recently."
Take it as you may, but it's just something I thought was interesting.

Polls about Kawashima:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/67982494

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/67982208?results=1#1

Discuss Dr. Kawashima!!!

Possible Stage Music:

Brain Age Menu:

Brain Age Options:

Brain Age Celebration/Results

Kawashima's Intellectual Supporters:
- BluePikmin11
- Yams
- R.O.B.
- SuperBrawler
- ryuu seika
- Pacack
- Xhampi
- Keybladeguy
- APC99
-PigMaskColonel
-StaffofSmashing

Signatures:
By jaytalks

By Zhadgon

Last edited:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I support Dr Kawashima 110%!!! Defo in my top 10 most desired characters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Pick me! Pick me! I would like a character that's even stranger than Miss Fit in the roster and I want to kill people with math (a student's worst enemy). :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not a character.
Irrelevant since Sakurai still added a Nintendo character who was based on a real-life person in Brawl (Dr. Wright)... I don't see how Dr. Kawashima is any different.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I do not expect Dr. Kawashima, but you are right in saying that he's possible. Heck, you might as well add me to the list of supporters, too. I'd love to play as him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I am not a supporter of Dr. Kawashima... I am open-minded toward the possibility... since he, at least, would represent a new franchise... and I am quite curious how Sakurai would make him work as a playable character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, I am not a supporter of Dr. Kawashima... I am open-minded toward the possibility... since he, at least, would represent a new franchise... and I am quite curious how Sakurai would make him work as a playable character.
A giant decapitated head with a pair of hands of death, making him a more pint sized and violent version of Andross.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A giant decapitated head with a pair of hands of death, making him a more pint sized and violent version of Andross.
It would be insane to see Dr. Kawashima somehow use sudoku to fight. :awesome:

How mathematical!

CalumG

Smash Lord
Irrelevant since Sakurai still added a Nintendo character who was based on a real-life person in Brawl (Dr. Wright)... I don't see how Dr. Kawashima is any different.
Completely different - Dr. Wright was based on Will Wright in name only.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Dr. Wright to Will Wright is more comparable to how Totakeke is Kazumi Totaka, whereas Dr. Kawashima to Dr. Kawashima is comparable to how Mike Tyson is Mike Tyson. The former are incredibly loosely based on their influences - the latter are people from real life with lower fidelity.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The real life problem shouldn't be an issue if Sakurai were to plan on adding him. It's not complicated to ask.
Quoting from GoldenYuiitusin:
Prof. Kawashima being a "real" person doesn't mean anything. Especially since it would be the fictional adaptation of him from the Brain Age games anyway. So unless Kawashima is a floating head IRL, not much issue there. Only potential issue would be for using his likeness.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, what Sakurai needs is Dr. Kawashima's permission. I don't think it's impossible, really. That said, I'm not really in support of him.

D

Deleted member

As I said, the "real person" issue is non-existent. It is a fictional depiction, one that is exclusive to the Brain Age franchise.
Only problem that might come up is paying the real-life Kawashima to use his likeness, which would just seem like a drop in the bucket at this point.

I would not be opposed to Kawashima, though I don't really expect him.

EDIT: He'd be the perfect partner to Wii Fit Trainer, though. She trains your body, he trains your mind. Together, they work to make the perfect being.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dr. Wright to Will Wright is more comparable to how Totakeke is Kazumi Totaka, whereas Dr. Kawashima to Dr. Kawashima is comparable to how Mike Tyson is Mike Tyson. The former are incredibly loosely based on their influences - the latter are people from real life with lower fidelity.
Oh, I didn't realize Dr. Kawashima was a disembodied floating head with disembodied floating hands in real life. My bad.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think you lunatics are beating me down on this one. Each day this seems less insane.

Now my biggest issue with him isn't that he's a real person, it's just how you...you know...knock a floating head and some floating hands off stage when they don't appear to be affected by gravity.

Basically the same issue I had with the King Boo suggestions.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Palutena levitates doesn't she?
It should be normal Smash physics for every character, even floating characters.
Kawashima is just a heavy weight for having a big floating head.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Now my biggest issue with him isn't that he's a real person, it's just how you...you know...knock a floating head and some floating hands off stage when they don't appear to be affected by gravity.
Floating enemies are a common occurrence in may games and their gravity defying powers are only in effect during moves and in their idle stance. Hitstun or being in the air negates it and they can all be pushed back as normal, though, since their often bosses, many of these characters take a scaled down knockback. That part can be ditched for Smash.

In short, just because we don't see floating characters in this series doesn't mean the mechanics necessary aren't already in place elsewhere.

Now, on the topic of hurtzones:
While it would indeed be cool to have the hands act like Nana, this seems impractical since, were Kawashima scaled down to roughly Mario's height (a fair size I think), they would be rather small targets. Also, just think how disjointed his moves would get if his hands were the other side of the screen from his head.
No, it would work far better if the head was the only hurtbox on the character and the hands simply floated around it. Maybe normally or maybe they could disjoint a little like Rayman's do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom