• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OC3!Need Funds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
OC-3 The Final Showdown for Melee!

What I am hoping for is one final showdown to prove who is the best at what. If we could get enough funds to bring the majority of the top players in japan here, players from the ec, midwest, etc we can have one final showdown. That is the dream!

As you all know Oc's are no easy task to complete. The best step first is to know where funds are comming from, so we can securely get a venue, find housing for people or have money from funds to get people motels, and finally cover gas cost for drivers, plus car rental money.

I am asking all players from the WC region to help contribute. No matter where your from, oregon, washington, california, arizona, etc. To help make this happen. It all starts small with you guys then it will grow. If possible the funds are mainly going to first

bombsoldier estimate cost 1600
his brother disc estimate cost 1600

the 1600 is plane ticket plus the food cost when they are staying here.

possible other people

fumi yoshi, masashi, thunders, and all previous japanese smashers from japan who went to oc2

this is not including cost for food, venue, time spent, gas, car rental etc.

this is just a broad explaination. If we start now it could possibly happen.

what does everyone think?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Facts
-----------------------------------
We will talk to Kei aka Takagi to see whats up with the japanese

After oc2 im sure the japanese want revenge, more will come now. Its like Dbz or bleach, you kill their weak players and then new stronger players arrive.

Possibly this summer ( no date or venue confirmed , first the funds)
Current funds = $0.00

Staff members - My family(ken,jenny,helen) including myself(Mana), Caotic(aka Gayotic the sanchez), Arash(king sanchez), JustPha, AznLep, Rickety
======================================================================
ways to help out
---------------------------------------
start holding tournaments to donate to oc3
if you have extra cash on you donate it to oc3
if you know people who want to help out donate to oc3
========================================================================
we will use oc2's donation page to start. As the funds get higher, and more people from each region contributes, we will get bombsoldier here along with disc. Theres no more excuses, smash bros melee is dying, brawl is almost out, lets get bs here before we never see him again.

http://www.disconets.com/Knights/Donate.html

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Will any other tourney info be provided now? I haven't been to past OC's so I don't know too much of what future events will be like.

I will glady contribute towards this tournament. PM me with anything you need, from funds to organization/promotion.

edit: Oh and get Domo over here. ^_^

manacloud1

Smash Champion
the best way

Will any other tourney info be provided now? I haven't been to past OC's so I don't know too much of what future events will be like.

I will glady contribute towards this tournament. PM me with anything you need, from funds to organization/promotion.

edit: Oh and get Domo over here. ^_^
i think the best way is to start holding smaller tournies taking out a small portion from each tourney to go towards oc3. While trust is a huge issue, Keepers of the funds can all talk directly to me and i will assure them all the money goes to what it should go too. No more hate the goal is to make one huge tourney for everyone, I hope everyone is on the same page as me.

Kaiser-GL

Smash Journeyman
OC2 was one of the best tournaments I've attended and I've travelled across the country, help out peoplez =) its worth it

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Manacloud said:
Fc seemed to be competing with oc2, so midwest players didnt show
This can be eliminated by getting in close contact with the Kishes, ASAP. I can go ahead and try contact them for you, if you'd like.

Manacloud said:
japanese players fought each other in the tournament
This must be eliminated through proper seeding. I am, in fact, a bit surprised that this would be a large problem. Nealdt would be invaluable in help running the tournament, but if you would like to find someone else I recommend seeking out California's most prominent, succesful tournament directors and collaborating via AIM or some other private chat and getting multiple opinions on seeding and organizational options.

Manacloud said:
crew battles are inaccurate with people representing each region
This is completely up to the organizers. Someone should not be allowed to enter a tournament more than once, which is exactly what this is.

Zoap

Smash Master
Im just gonna throw this out, since once again you said anything to help. I know that for OC2 Germ offered to perhaps move the tourney up to Norcal in hopes of finding a Cheaper Venue and therfore cut costs and have extra funds to allocate other places. Ken simply replied that he wanted to keep the spirit of OC and that meant keeping it in Socal in OC. I can understand completely where he is coming from and respect his decision for wanting to hold tradition. So why all of this history, well it turns out I know a person who has the ability to rent a recreation center for $90 here in Norcal, and seeing as the rent I heard was huge for OC2, I would at least like Ken, Mana and the rest of OC staff to consider. $270 for 3 days is substantially less, and you could not only allocate more to the Japanese player fund. But to catering and such. If you are interested, which if you hold true to OC tradition I will completely understand, I will give you more details on it. Again I'll list on short hand some of the things it comes with:

1. $90 a day, even if its a week long I'm sure itd be less than most other venues.
2. Holds 299 people as the maximum, and has PLENTY of space
3. Built in Kitchen with two ovens, microwave, and two fridges
4.Comes with 25 tables and 150 chairs for free

Let me know what you think, via AIM or PM if interested, if not then again I will respect the decision.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
heh

Im just gonna throw this out, since once again you said anything to help. I know that for OC2 Germ offered to perhaps move the tourney up to Norcal in hopes of finding a Cheaper Venue and therfore cut costs and have extra funds to allocate other places. Ken simply replied that he wanted to keep the spirit of OC and that meant keeping it in Socal in OC. I can understand completely where he is coming from and respect his decision for wanting to hold tradition. So why all of this history, well it turns out I know a person who has the ability to rent a recreation center for $90 here in Norcal, and seeing as the rent I heard was huge for OC2, I would at least like Ken, Mana and the rest of OC staff to consider. $270 for 3 days is substantially less, and you could not only allocate more to the Japanese player fund. But to catering and such. If you are interested, which if you hold true to OC tradition I will completely understand, I will give you more details on it. Again I'll list on short hand some of the things it comes with:

1. $90 a day, even if its a week long I'm sure itd be less than most other venues.
2. Holds 299 people as the maximum, and has PLENTY of space
3. Built in Kitchen with two ovens, microwave, and two fridges
4.Comes with 25 tables and 150 chairs for free

Let me know what you think, via AIM or PM if interested, if not then again I will respect the decision.
this sounds great and all but who would house these smashers in north cal , including who would drive them. If north cal people did it it wouldnt be a tournament held by us anymore but by people in north cal.

delph, it was neals tournament bracket maker that we used at oc2.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
HOLY **** **** IM COMING TO CALIFORNIA

<3's to Kaiser :)

A suggestion - there's tons of cheap places in SoCal to rent venues, it just seems OC is particular expensive. San Diego already has proven to be affordable, and I'm sure there's plenty of alternatives in LA too. Just search earlier, cus there's probably hundreds of potential venues.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
Mana, is it alright if I give you the money in person? I don't have a credit card or PayPal account, so I can't send it over the internet. I've been hosting small tournaments, so I am able to raise a lot of money if my entrants donate.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
Nothing's for sure but I can probably house a few people if that just means to give them a place to stay at night.
I might be able to house some people as well, but my parents don't understand the intensity and dedication people put into smash. I guess as long as the people that we're housing aren't too old, I guess >_>

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
---------------------------------------------------------
Failures of oc2 - posting them will make it easier to not let it happen again
--------------------------------------------------------

Lack of speakers around the venue so everyone can hear when they’re called out.

Seriously, for a tourney like OC2, PC speakers were pretty bad in my opinion. You guys really need to get some good equipment in there and have everything well planned out. In the end, it will be a more fun and a less stressful experience.

nublet06

Smash Lord
---------------------------------------------------------
Failures of oc2 - posting them will make it easier to not let it happen again
--------------------------------------------------------

Lack of speakers around the venue so everyone can hear when they’re called out.

Seriously, for a tourney like OC2, PC speakers were pretty bad in my opinion. You guys really need to get some good equipment in there and have everything well planned out. In the end, it will be a more fun and a less stressful experience.
guitar amps and a microphone should work out :p

Rickety

Peace and Love
Balboa!!!!
Balboa Park in San Diego would the ideal place to hold a tournament: it's beautiful, close to everything nearby, many out-of-stater's could come for the smash, but then just enjoy the beautiful beaches and weather!

I support an 0C3 in San Diego!

In the meantime, though, Mike, I'll talk to Edrees to see if we can perhaps donate a certain percentage of he Triweekly revenue to 0C3, we all gotta do our part!

Mike, are you coming to the Triweekly tomorrow? Your brother said he was, but I wasn't sure if you would be able to due to upcoming midterms and such.

Hope to see everyone there! <3

<3
rick

R0BM0NEY

Smash Apprentice
Facts BY ROBMONEY: East vs West Coast you guys need to Put things behind the past because we need to get everyone one out to this. I am almost guaranteed that i'll go. I told ken and family last year i Guarantee i am going. ANd i am a man of my word I went. Lets go husband and wife. i was expecting you all to be there. Last time i had alot of fun.

Ken is lucky at poker.

I ***** hugs LOL check it out on my myspace LOL www.myspace.com/robmoney8

We all gotta go to magic mountian kids LOL

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Az will do what it can to help out. We'll all be sure to run some tourneys with pot portions going out to you.

If OC3 will be in the summer I'll be able to make it. I can volunteer my services with video recording/editing. (I did the AzOne footage, if you didn't know. You can check it out) Magic Mountain would be too good. :) This all sounds so awesome.

$BONE$

Smash Ace
we should host the tourny in san diego. i'll raise/pay for all the money for mikael if you can convince him to come.. i'll even house him.. (haha, i wish!). im with aznlep.balboa park, san diego for oc3!

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmm

Balboa Park in San Diego would the ideal place to hold a tournament: it's beautiful, close to everything nearby, many out-of-stater's could come for the smash, but then just enjoy the beautiful beaches and weather!

I support an 0C3 in San Diego!

In the meantime, though, Mike, I'll talk to Edrees to see if we can perhaps donate a certain percentage of he Triweekly revenue to 0C3, we all gotta do our part!

Mike, are you coming to the Triweekly tomorrow? Your brother said he was, but I wasn't sure if you would be able to due to upcoming midterms and such.

Hope to see everyone there! <3

<3
rick
edreese said no he cant help with the tri weeklies.

ultra- lack of speakers is not a good reason, but oc3 will consider it. AT oc2 we made with what we got. Now hopefully we can rent some good **** speakers, or ask someone who has some good **** speakers to help out. Anyone has some **** good speakers?

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
RE: venues... trust me, it's a lot harder than it sounds. Everyone suggesting cheap venues needs to make sure they'd:

A. Be cool with 200+ people. That's a lot of people, and a number that makes a lot of owners uncomfortable due to fire laws and insurance.
B. Have enough power to support 20-30 televisions and 'Cubes. That's a lot of power. You might not have noticed, but 0C2 singles bracket was disrupted by a power outage over the back half of the room, including my computer. It was during Forward vs PC Chris so 99% of you were watching that, but I know it disrupted HugS vs M2K and others.
3. Allow renting over 3 days. That's a long time.

I really doubt you'll find a cheap venue that meets all three of those criteria. Speaking from personal experience.

The Game II

Smash Champion
I'll second what Neal said. Even in a hotels I've inquired about, they're worried about players going crazy and a power surge with all the TVs/consoles we've proposed (and this is on a smaller scale). It's the same thing I told a coworker that wants to run a tourney - you can't skimp on anything. Be ready to go all out if you want an all-out tourney.

mana: would this tournament take place before or after Evo West and Evo Finals?

Oh, and please keep it in the OC unless all resources have been exhausted.

--GCII

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmm

I'll second what Neal said. Even in a hotels I've inquired about, they're worried about players going crazy and a power surge with all the TVs/consoles we've proposed (and this is on a smaller scale). It's the same thing I told a coworker that wants to run a tourney - you can't skimp on anything. Be ready to go all out if you want an all-out tourney.

mana: would this tournament take place before or after Evo West and Evo Finals?

Oh, and please keep it in the OC unless all resources have been exhausted.

--GCII
game, this tournament wont happen first of all if funds dont roll in. It all starts with money imo. If we can get enough money we will go look around to secure a venue thats for sure, with what we got we can say how does for example 3000 sound for this place. Etc. With the securing of the venue then a date can be posted. I dont know when but it will folllow after that its still all in the air for now until we actually start getting funds.

note on getting bs over: its not going to be as hard as last time , becuase he regreted informing us so late. Now im sure more will come.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Funding is a major issue yes and if people are willing to get the ball rolling on it we should have allocated enough funds for OC3 to happen.

HOWEVER, if in the event of funding OC3 you decide that you do not have enough funds and decide to call it off, will you redistribute back out the donations? Might seem a bit negative to think of this but I for one am not gonna fork out 100$ (which is what I'd be willing to donate) only to have it magically disappear without a tourney. Maybe keep track of the funds that people donate so if OC3 by chance doesn't happen you can redistribute back all the money (redistribution should only happen if the money donated was of a sizeable quantity, not like 10$).

Just sayin.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmm

Funding is a major issue yes and if people are willing to get the ball rolling on it we should have allocated enough funds for OC3 to happen.

HOWEVER, if in the event of funding OC3 you decide that you do not have enough funds and decide to call it off, will you redistribute back out the donations? Might seem a bit negative to think of this but I for one am not gonna fork out 100$ (which is what I'd be willing to donate) only to have it magically disappear without a tourney. Maybe keep track of the funds that people donate so if OC3 by chance doesn't happen you can redistribute back all the money (redistribution should only happen if the money donated was of a sizeable quantity, not like 10$).

Just sayin.
this wont occur mainly for 2 reasons. All money that goes to the oc3 will be kept separated and not use. Meaning lets say we cant have it happen anytime soon we can still hold onto it to use that money for sometime later for the oc3. 2- read the amount of japanese players who are willing to go if we help them out with their ticket not mentioning bombsoldier or disc which is ****ing expensive as it is. Money is a huge issue on this matter so funds should start rolling in.

araknophobik

Smash Master
make it toward the end of the year so it doesn't conflict with evo or FC
there's already a set time range for FC, which is mid july
hosting the tourny's months apart can insure that more ec/mw players come

And Zoap, i would say host a norcal tourny' but it seems the tournament directors out there go crazy and quit smash after hosting them (lol matt dezzy and dj karthic)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I've already spoken to Mike about this. The major reason we can't do this is because, from now on, UCSD is making us deposit whatever money the tri weekly raises into a school revenue, and from there, they will issue checks 5-10 days later to the winners of the tournament. They are doing this to ensure that I am not taking a cut out of the buy in because then I would be profiting, and the school will get into legal turmoil over that because I'd be profiting over "gambling" in their view. I am not allowed to take any extra cut other than the three winners. This is now completely out of my control. Once the school caught wind of it , I had a meeting with the Res Dean of Sixth college and we talked about this. Just FYI.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
?

make it toward the end of the year so it doesn't conflict with evo or FC
there's already a set time range for FC, which is mid july
hosting the tourny's months apart can insure that more ec/mw players come

And Zoap, i would say host a norcal tourny' but it seems the tournament directors out there go crazy and quit smash after hosting them (lol matt dezzy and dj karthic)
any later and brawl will be out. Fc happens all the time. Maybe for once fc shouldnt happen and let oc3 bring all the people here. Evo can help out by donations if anything that would be better than having an evo tourney that might not bring in a lot of people.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Well if it's toward the end of the year, it's likely Brawl will be out by then anyway.

I think OC2 was great and I'd love to see an OC3, and I'd like to help out with donations, but there's something I feel should be said. Now, don't get me wrong, it was really great having the Japanese over for OC2, but I don't want my donation to pay for their vacation, I want it to pay for the venue, food, or production costs. Frankly if we have to shell out that much money to get them over here, it's just not worth it IMO, and I think there are many who share my sentiment.

As for the Norcal thing, I think all Zoap is saying is that we may be able to provide a venue. If you like you could still be in charge of everything else. I'm certain that there are Norcal people that would be able to house and give rides to travelers. If it comes down to an OC3 in Norcal, versus no OC3 at all, and you would rather have no OC3, that's fine, it's your guys' series, I'd just like you to consider it.

araknophobik

Smash Master
I didn't even take brawl into consideration
sorry im not much of a video game fanatic, i haven't been following the release date. i just know brawl is coming out, and im not purchasing a wii until it comes out =/

manacloud1

Smash Champion
heh

Well if it's toward the end of the year, it's likely Brawl will be out by then anyway.

I think OC2 was great and I'd love to see an OC3, and I'd like to help out with donations, but there's something I feel should be said. Now, don't get me wrong, it was really great having the Japanese over for OC2, but I don't want my donation to pay for their vacation, I want it to pay for the venue, food, or production costs. Frankly if we have to shell out that much money to get them over here, it's just not worth it IMO, and I think there are many who share my sentiment.

As for the Norcal thing, I think all Zoap is saying is that we may be able to provide a venue. If you like you could still be in charge of everything else. I'm certain that there are Norcal people that would be able to house and give rides to travelers. If it comes down to an OC3 in Norcal, versus no OC3 at all, and you would rather have no OC3, that's fine, it's your guys' series, I'd just like you to consider it.
yeah i feel the same way u did at one point. But the truth of the fact is the money is going for them to come here its true. It sounds like its to pay for their vacation but they are dirt poor man. Im not lying ive been there. I have also met both bombsoldier and disc san and they are lovely, kind people. They understand how it is and they appreciate what we smashers are doing for them from the bottum of their hearts, which in turn will make them play better at oc3 if it happens.

As for oc3 being in north cali it sounds great and i appreciate all the input from north cal. Tg was held in north cal and it started it all. But to have it in north cal takes it away from being our tournament. In so cal we have more control and know where things are. In north cal we would have to ask a lot of north cal guys for directions, help etc and dont want to bother them for our tournament.

im hoping to hear from mlg to see what they think =). I wouldnt mind clap or jason going to this thing to chill with us. I strongly believe it would be a step to further mlg/ japanese players relationships if mlg might go broader like evo has. At oc3 if it happens, mlg can interview bombsoldier or disc or many other pros. This will make mlg quite popular now that this relationship exists. Just my 2 cents.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Hyuga has a point, but only to an extent. There are most likely a lot of people who would like their money to go towards one thing or another.

Would it not be a waste if we got enough money for transportation of the Japanese, but not enough for the tournament itself? As long as prorities are properly sorted (e.g., venue > promotion/players) this will all turn out for the best.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Why not make this right before evo west? That way people can fly out here for both evo and oc.

Arash

Smash Lord
i say we nail housing before anything, because housing issues for OC2 certainly wasn't fun, esp the weekend before

and please make sure the housing won't fall apart literally the weekend before:)

other than that, i'm sure the people running FC323454 won't be very happy about it, and people once again won't wanna travel to 2 international tournaments.... it'll be challenging to make an OC3 is all:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom