• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doom and KotC Present: Genesis 2010! October 2, 2010 - Maywood, NJ

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
NOTE: THIS IS COMPLETELY
and obviously
UNRELATED TO THE GRASSROOTS SMASH TOURNAMENT SERIES KNOWN AS GENESIS.
I did not choose the name.

King of the Couch is back with another event at Velocity 17!

Venue Information

Address:
87 Route 17 N
Maywood, NJ

Velocity 17 (V-17) is located conveniently on Route 17 North in Maywood. This is easily accessible from I-80, I-95, the Garden State Parkway, Route 4/208, and Route 3. It's no more than an hour away from most locations in Central Jersey and is extremely close to New York City.

This venue is AWESOME! Most of you guys have been here before for a tournament hosted by Alex Strife, J.G. Wentworth, or me, but if you haven't, you're in for a treat. The venue is an enormous indoor go-kart track with arcade games and huge open party rooms that the tournaments will be held in. This venue is easily national-sized, and thanks to King of the Couch, we're able to host tournaments here! This tournament will also feature Halo Reach, Madden, Call of Duty, and Super Street Fighter 4. If you're into the other games, feel free to enter them too!

To get here by bus from New York City, take the 163 or 175 buses from Port Authority to the Passaic Street/Rochelle Ave stop. This is roughly a 3 minute drive from the venue. Contact somebody who will be at the venue with a car and for the right price, they will pick you up! Drivers, post your numbers if you're looking for some quick cash!

For food, there is a Burger King very close to the venue (by car). If you're willing to drive a little further, you'll find a Sonic in Hasbrouck Heights, a Chinese restaurant, or (hype) the Garden State Plaza! Inside the mall, there is a LARGE selection of food ranging from Subway to sushi, so if you've got a car and some interest (and time so you won't be DQed), definitely check it out.

Schedule

11 AM - Signups start
12-12:30 PM - Brawl doubles start
3 PM - Brawl singles start
End of singles-venue closing time - Side events

Last time I TOed at V-17, I ran three events (doubles, singles, and Brawl-) extremely quickly. We all got to leave the venue and have an early dinner out at Red Robin. I'd like to see the same thing happen again. Check the poll in this thread and vote for your side event of choice!

In order to have these events run quickly, I'm going to need everybody to bring setups and be cooperative with reporting matches and not playing friendlies. I know I want some delicious freckled lemonade and infinite fries, don't you?

I'm not 100% sure, but I would guess that we have to be out of the venue around 8:00. Let's aim to get everything done by then so there are open TVs for friendlies too!

Pricing and payouts

Venue fee will be $10 total - $5 goes to V-17 and $5 goes to KotC.
Singles: $10
Doubles: $10 per player ($20 per team)

Payouts will be determined by the number of entrants. The more entrants, the more places I'll pay out to.

Singles

16 or less entrants:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

17-32 entrants:
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

33+ entrants:
1st: 48%
2nd: 24%
3rd: 12%
4th: 8%
5th: 4% each (two people tie for 5th place)

If more than 64 people enter (which would be fantastic), I'll devise a payout system to pay top 8, and CONSOLATION MATCHES WILL BE PLAYED.

Rules

I'm going to be running the standard Atlantic North ruleset here.

• 3 stocks
  • 8 minute timer
  • Items set to off and none

Starter Stages

• Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages

• Delfino Plaza
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Castle Siege
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Brinstar

• Controller ports are decided by rock-paper-scissors, Game and Watch Judgment, coin flip, or whatever else you want.
  • The first stage is decided by striking. One player or team strikes one stage, the other player or team strikes two stages, then the other player or team strikes one more stage to leave only one left to play on.
  • Each player or team may choose to ban one stage from play during the set.
  • Loser of the previous matches picks the next stage, winner picks their character, then the loser picks their character.
  • If you are not at your station within three minutes of having your match called, you forfeit the first game. After five minutes, you forfeit the set. Do not disappear without letting the hosts know and do not ignore us when your match is called. I will gladly DQ people to make the event run more smoothly.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor will be decided first by stocks, then by percent.
  • Excessive stalling is banned. This includes Meta Knight's infinite dimensional cape and all other glitches and using the Ice Climber's chaingrab or grab releases past 200% to eat up time. First offense gets a warning, second gets loss of stock, third gets loss of game.
  • A ledge grab limit of 40 will be in place to prevent abuse of the game's ledge mechanics. This only matters if the match goes to time.
  • Going under a stage multiple times before landing on the stage is banned. If you go under a stage, you must return to the main surface of the stage before going under the stage again. First offense gets a warning, second gets loss of stock, third gets loss of game.
  • King Dedede's standing and small-step chaingrabs are banned.
  • In the event of a suicide kill finish by Kirby or Dedede's swallowcides, Bowser's klaw, or Ganondorf's choke, the initiator of the move is declared the victor regardless of what the game says.
  • Wiimote and Classic Controller users must take out their batteries when not in a match. First offense gets a warning, second offense gets you DQed from whatever you're in.

Hope to see everybody here! Sorry for the short notice on the thread/date, I wanted to wait until after KTAR to post this so it wasn't overshadowed by another big tournament in the area. This will be a great tournament and Red Robin will be amazing as usual!

ALLISBRAWL PAGE: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=10717

PLEASE click the "I am attending this tournament" button to generate hype!

iRJi

Smash Champion
Ill come most likely. If you need help and I am there, I can assist also.

Max Ketchum

Lol guys, chill with the name stuff, I don't want anybody from NorCal Melee coming in and getting mad at me. :(

This tournament is going to be great. North Jersey better make a big showing here!

Zucco

Smash Master
If I come, can someone remind me that ive been practicing falco? I never even try to use Falco in tourney, and I need to start.

Max Ketchum

Zucco, I'm going to make sure every setup has a post-it on top that says "Zucco uses Falco".

Hippie, Red Robin is INCREDIBLE and totally makes coming out here worth it all on its own.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Zucco, I'm going to make sure every setup has a post-it on top that says "Zucco usees Falco".
This made me lol. I should put post-its on every TV to remind everyone that vVv Doom is mad free.

...and to turn pause off vs Cheese.

Hippie, Red Robin is INCREDIBLE and totally makes coming out here worth it all on its own.
agreed. I have a blast and I usually don't even eat anything lol.

edit: also me and Snakeee are taking doubles.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Zucco, I'm going to make sure every setup has a post-it on top that says "Zucco usees Falco".

yea word lol went there for the first time, in CT =D

definitely lived up to its **** hype

need a partner, 70 percent/80 percent sure I will go.
we needa play nuggah if im not lazy in goin

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Nah im just kidding. I am gonna come to this and going my normal characters. i cant go to red robins afterwards though.

david you have to go to this though.

Max Ketchum

Hype for New England! Let's get more NY, PA, and obviously NJ out here. ksizzle is actually going, I'd love to see all of SWR, ZB and Juice come.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Wow, PA/NY/NJ/NE??? Doom the man!!

If you get over 40 entrants with only a week's notice I'm gonna be so jelous!!

Top Bottom