• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical "Norfair" Discussion

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
As seen in the Nintendo Conference 2007 trailer, Charzard and Wario(shown below) are seen in a lava-looking stage, which to a lot of people believe it to be a Metroid stage.

It has been confirmed, thanks to IGN, playing the demo. Here's a link to the video:

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748545/vid_2159365.html

The level has five platforms, arranged in a "V" shape. In tradition, lava (not acid!) rises up to the surface, however, you can normally fall through, and it doesn't do much damage or knockback. Also, this "Norfair" is where Ridley has appeared in the past...

Discuss!

Kor

Smash Apprentice
It looks like the same stage you see Wario getting attacked by the Torchic.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
I'm not prepared to call it a metroid stage yet. Mostly due to the fact that I want a Metroid stage that doesn't have any lava/acid as a hazard. I hope it's for a SE level. But those bioforms in the background definately have a metroid look to them

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Indeed, we have no idea it'll be a new Metroid stage. For all we know, it could be the third part of Castle Siege.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
From the IGN video, it looks like that there are only a few platforms, lava, and the ending/intro music from Super Metroid.

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
i heard that the platforms rotate and change. And lava comes from all directions

megachao24

Smash Cadet
Bah, another Metroid stage with rising acid/lava, again. :smiliegor

It's nice they spiced it up a little, but I'm still ticked they're sticking with this crap for a thrid time.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess it wouldn't be smash without a lava Metroid stage. *sigh* Hopefully they'll draw something from the Prime series. Phendrana, Tallon IV, Impact Crater...I mean it can't be that hard.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
The seem to be ignoring Prime.

The only similarity that I see between Brawl and Prime is Samus' morph ball.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Since when did 'Metroid' become synonymous with 'rising lava'? :laugh:

My favorite thing about this stage is that it's -Norfair-. Y'know, where you often find Ridley in Metroid games... I think this may be a hint.

Arteen

Smash Lord
My favorite thing about this stage is that it's -Norfair-. Y'know, where you often find Ridley in Metroid games... I think this may be a hint.
At least it's not Brinstar for a fourth time, not that there's much of a difference. Also, I think you're right, not to mention that the stage is spacious and would fit Ridley well.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
The seem to be ignoring Prime.

The only similarity that I see between Brawl and Prime is Samus' morph ball.
So true. They actually referred to Super Metroid when they updated Samus for Brawl...and NOT Prime. Her bombs aren't balls of light like in Prime....Oh well~

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I like the overall "V" shape of the stage, It's original, and could be a good counter pick versus chain throwers and Falco (if). I'd kill for a stage like this for neutral pick, minus the lava flow.

Shuma

Smash Hero
And thank god they're ignoring Prime, super Metroid is ten times better(and i'm not saying the prime games are bad, i love them).

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
So true. They actually referred to Super Metroid when they updated Samus for Brawl...and NOT Prime. Her bombs aren't balls of light like in Prime....Oh well~
Is it any surprise? The Metroid Prime games sold like... two copies in Japan (obvious hyperbole, but the point is clear). Super Metroid is the only Metroid game that sold halfway decent there.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
This stage looks great... and now there are two platforms for each stage of the lava.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I love this stage. I'll have to post pictures soon. If anyone could provide these, please do.

On a side note, Samus's new missles are also based on SM.

Arteen

Smash Lord
And thank god they're ignoring Prime, super Metroid is ten times better(and i'm not saying the prime games are bad, i love them).
In my opinion Prime 1>Super>Zero Mission, Prime 2&3>Fusion>rest. At least Zamus shows that the development team realizes there are more Metroid games than just Super (although I don't really like Zamus in the first place). Super may often be regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, but Prime 1 was very well-received as well, so it shouldn't just be ignored.

I don't mind that Samus isn't wearing her Prime armor, since I think her current armor fits the Brawl aesthetic better. Still, I would like to see a Prime 1 stage in. And not Magmoor Caverns (not more magma, please!). Tallon Overworld or Phendrana Drifts would be beautiful.

FoxMaster77

Smash Apprentice

Norfair is a Metroid stage new to Brawl. Set in the fiery depths of Zebes, this level, like previous Metroid stages, features lava. However, in Norfair's case, not only can the lava come up from below, but also from both sides of the screen.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
And not Magmoor Caverns (not more magma, please!). Tallon Overworld or Phendrana Drifts would be beautiful.
QFT.

It's like they think 'Metroid stage??? Hey here's an idea..... LAVA' lol. Norfair does look nice though. The fact that lava can come in waves from all angles wil greatly influence gameplay.

Phendrana Drifts would be great but I think an Ice Stage would be better suited for the Ice Climbers. Tallon Overworld, Impact Crater something along those lines would be nice.

konoha107

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see a stage based on Sanctuary Fortress from Prime 2 (I know that won't happen in a million years, though).

Legolastom

Smash Hero

Norfair is a Metroid stage new to Brawl. Set in the fiery depths of Zebes, this level, like previous Metroid stages, features lava. However, in Norfair's case, not only can the lava come up from below, but also from both sides of the screen.
Where did you get that info from?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
From GameInformer:

Norfair is similar to Brinstar in Melee, with platforms poised above deadly lava. This time, giant streams of molten rock occasionally pour down the sides, making that area especially deadly. It drops from above, too, creating a situation where players have to balance their need to get cover versus their need to kick their foes off the stage. It pays to be aggressive, sometimes.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200710/N07.1011.1649.57274.htm?Page=2 for more about their hands on with the game.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx

Thank you for the picture!

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I aplogize - I have no computer, I have a Wii, so I have to type everything one letter at a time. I'll post it.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
i think another great idea for a metroid level would be one inspired by the prime series, with phazon everywhere. Players would all gradually take damage from the radiation, so it would be a level that kinda automatically implements a higher damage ratio. For? Against?

FoxMaster77

Smash Apprentice
I hope Ridley isnt part of this stage. I dont want him to be in the background like he was in SSB 64's Zebes stage. And the Ridley Music could be on this stage.. but this is Samus' stage. Ridley should have a stage of his own, so his music can play there.

Top Bottom