• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tingle for Brawl!

Hong

The Strongest
Tingle for Brawl!

Art by paralasarud

"Tingle-Tingle, Kooloo-Limpah!"

This thread is to discuss Tingle and why he should or should not be included in Brawl.
Please post a reason why he shouldn't be in besides "he's gay" or "he sucks". Before you shoot down the idea, please take the time to read my well balanced moveset.

Appearances
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (As Purlo, proven by statements from Eiji Aonuma)
Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (Star)
Tingle's Balloon Fight DS (Star)

He also appears twice in Melee, both in Termina Bay and as a Trophy.

Why should Tingle be in Brawl?
Tingle is popular. Well, in America he may not be the fan favourite, but in Japan? He's one of the most popular game characters, period! Americans tend to like generic stone n' grit characters with a "cool" appearance, a sword or having knowledge of some form of martial arts. Because of this, Americans tend to have a disliking for the goofy, unarmed, greedy, middle-aged man known as Tingle.

Tingle is unique. 35~ is a justified amount of characters for Brawl. We need them to be as different as possible. Tingle would definately be quite unique. We're talking on a scale beyond Wario, heck, beyond Mr. Game & Watch! Read the moveset for a better idea. Come on people. Yoshi, Kirby and Wario aren't enough to bright up the mood in Super Smash Brothers. We need more light-hearted characters.

He's important to the series. Only behind the Triforce three. He has appeared more than any non-enemy Zelda franchise character and has helped Link many times, for a cost of course!

Common Arguments
"He's gay."
Actually, Tingle is straight as proven by him dreaming about getting kissed by two women in Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Even if he was gay, why would it matter?

"He's stupid."
Actually, Tingle is quite brilliant in many ways. While he may seem like quite the fairy fanatic, he always remains productive and can find a source of income under any circumstance.

"He sucks."
Tingle is a vacuum? News to me.

"Skull Kid/Midna/Cel-Shaded Link deserves to be in more!"
Neither Skull Kid or Midna could give a moveset as unique or creative as Tingle, and neither them are anywhere near as popular. I like Skull Kid, but he hasn't done as much as Tingle nor could he be as flexible. Midna only appeared in one Zelda title and the whole overusage of hair-based attacks is not something I'd enjoy.

Cel-Shaded Link, however, is a viable contender. He's obviously more popular than Tingle, since it's Link in another form and he could very easily have a completely different moveset from his adult counterpart. Though the fact is it's still Link. New moves, new appearance, same guy. Give someone else in the Zelda series a chance for Brawl spotlight.

"He's useless and can't fight."
You've never seen his game. Besides, many of the fighters in Melee aren't exactly masters of combat, like Mr. Game & Watch, Peach or Ice Climbers.

"Zelda is over-repped."
Tell that to Mario or Pokémon. Melee had 4 Zelda reps (not counting Sheik), so it only makes sense that Brawl should have 4 or 5. Either Young Link is remade or Tingle replaces him.

"Tingle should be an AT."
Your mom should be an AT!
Okay, honestly. With the exception of hallmark characters that the world is based around like Mario, Kirby or Link that are the single staple of the series ever other character recommendation can be an Assist Trophy. Honestly. What if Ike just appeared out of Assist Trophies and Aether'd someone instead of being a playable character? Before Ike was announced, I'd be allowed to say "He should be an Assist Trophy!" and I'd hold no more water than the argument holds now.

Proposed Moveset
The ideal moveset for Tingle should be silly and hard to take seriously while being effective.

A: Butt Bump
Tingle turns to his side and bumps the enemy away.

F Tilt: Swat
Tingle leans forward, swings his right hand over his head and swats the enemy

U Tilt: Balloon Bounce
Tingle quickly inflates and deflates a balloon above his head. Has a large radius.

D Tilt: Bag Bash
Tingle swings a heavy backpack infront of him while crouching on the ground.

U Smash: Cheers
Tingle jumps up into the air and claps his hands together overhead. This also shoots fairy dust everywhere to cover up for him on the sides.

F Smash: Head First
Tingle pulls his head back and delivers a headbutt. It's very powerful, but Tingle has trouble keeping his balance and hops forward a few times.

D Smash: Spinner
Tingle plants himself on his head and spins himself around with his hands. This is also very powerful. He gets up rather quickly but he finds himself dazed for a few seconds.

Dash Attack: Belief
Tingle jumps forward flapping his arms and trying to fly! Though he fails and tumbles on the ground.

N-Air: Twirl
Tingle spins with his arm spread out. If he misses with his arms, fairy dust will cover his retreat.

F-Air: Paper Cut
Tingle pulls out a map and swings it vertically from over his head to below his feet in a spinning motion. This move is weird because it hits the opponent straight upwards and behind Tingle but has a lot of power and can vertical-kill floaties.

U-Air: Enjoyment
Pretty much like his U-Smash only in the air. Tingle claps his hands together above his head. It's faster but weaker.

D-Air: Diver
Tingle faces downwards in a diving position and spins around. This delivers multiple hits then one strong hit as Tingle spreads out his hands at the end, which acts as a meteor smash.

B-Air: Lazy Kick
Tingle places his hands behind his head in a relaxing manner while tilting forward and then kicks his legs out.

B: Rupee Blast
Tingle crosses his arms and clutches them inward. After he lets go, rupees and fairy dust flies everywhere a short distance before him. The longer Tingle holds it in, the more rupees that will fly out. It can be used as an edge guard.

B Forward: Paper Airplane
Tingle folds his map into a paper air plane rather quickly and throws it. It's a weak projectile that travels in a wave before hitting the ground and fading away.

B Down: Tingle Trick
Tingle steps back with one foot and holds one of his hands out for 2 seconds. If he is attacked physically in the first second, he will evade their attack and stuff them in a bag. Tingle can then attack them while they're in the bag much like how Yoshi can attack egged victims. Since this is risky, it last longer than Yoshi's egg.

B Up: Tingle Away
Basically, just him using his balloons as a recovery. There are too many ways to do this, so just use your imagination. :p

His grab would either just be with his hand or for comic relief, a hug. (Since he's overly friendly due to business reasons.)

Grab Attack: If hug, bear hug. If grab, back handed swat

F Throw: Heave!
Tingle lifts them over his head, leans back and then throws them forward.

D Throw: Cushion
Tingle throws them down and jumps on them in a cannoball position with his butt first.

U throw: Away!
A unique up throw. Tingle ties a balloon to them and swats them in the air. The balloon keeps carrying them upwards until they recover. The higher the percentage, the longer it takes. The floatier they are, the faster they float. It can be fatal to a very floaty character in the higher percentages.

B Throw: Trash Disposal
Tingle throws the foe behind him overhead as if they were nothing.

Final Smash: Tingle Strike
Tingle does his traditional dance, and with a "Tingle, Tingle, Kaloo Limpah!" he pulls out a Tingle Tuner and pushes a button. A bunch of balloons will float over the stage and drop bombs in the obnoxious shape of Tingle's head. They're very powerful and shoot fairy dust everywhere upon impact.

A few defining qualities
Tingle is a very cumbersome character and has a lot of ending lag on some of his attacks. However, his attacks come out pretty quickly and suprisingly pack a punch. Tingle is weight rank above Luigi despite his size because of his fat appearance and all of his rupees. Tingle has poor mobility, but if they have flown too far away he is capable of some basic combos. Whenever Tingle is struck hard enough, rupees fly all over the place and shatter! It's really a nice touch. The key to playing as Tingle is to avoid using those very laggy attacks to deal damage until the opponent is high enough of a percent. Tingle has a really hard time approaching projectile spam but he has paper air planes to help him out.

So, what do you think? I didn't make note of things like how much damage things do in an exact percentage, since we don't know how attacks will scale in Brawl.

Please, discuss! :D

IllidR

Smash Champion
I'm kind of on the fence about Tingle.. not sure if I want another Zelda rep, and not sure if i want him as that rep. But his moveset you gave him does make him seem pretty good.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Zelda series has better reps...

I really don't care either way actually...

I just don't see the appeal with him

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Lunadis your movesets are amazing. I don't know if Tingle would make it as a Zelda rep (I'm expecting Ganondorf to return obviously and WW Link as a replacement for the older younglink version). However the moveset you gave certainly makes him work.

Since Tingle is popular in Japan; I'd expect that give him a leg up on his inclusion in Brawl.

-Knight

Hong

The Strongest
I updated the first post. I still have a lot more to add.. If anyone has a better header picture, please post it.
not another tingle thread.
Not another unconstructive troll.

Hong

The Strongest
I meant a graphic banner. I'll design one myself probably.

Florida

イーグランツ
In your moveset, you forgot to mention a d-tilt.
Also, very nice job on the thread. Only one problem with your message that stood out to me,

You encourage not to repond to this thread with "He's gay" or "He's stupid", yet your responses to some of the "F.A.Q." were just the same. Or maybe it was just a light joke and I'm looking too far into it.

About Tingle, he'd definitely be a.... unique, character. He's not really a character that I'd mind being in Brawl, but there's a whole lot of other characters that I'll be supporting before him. :)

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I support Tingle...but I doubt he'd be in Brawl...and since Nintendo is aware of Tingles unpopularity in every other part of the world(most of it from the US)...I doubt they'd add him...nice moveset....

Hong

The Strongest
once agian i must imply that tingle simply just sucks. im leaving so long tingle.
Oh yeah, now that was an intelligent argument.
Way to go kiddo.
In your moveset, you forgot to mention a d-tilt.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll add one soon.
Also, very nice job on the thread. Only one problem with your message that stood out to me,

You encourage not to repond to this thread with "He's gay" or "He's stupid", yet your responses to some of the "F.A.Q." were just the same. Or maybe it was just a light joke and I'm looking too far into it.
Saying "He's stupid" without a real argument doesn't really deserve a real response. It's more or less light humour, but also there to stop people from shooting down the idea without reasoning. :p

Reyairia

Smash Champion
once agian i must imply that tingle simply just sucks. im leaving so long tingle.
Just to let you know, I've reported your posts.

I just don't see the appeal with him
I find him funny, a very unique and original character with a great potential moveset. Plus I can't wait to see the reactions and laugh when/if he is announced.

Lunadis your movesets are amazing. I don't know if Tingle would make it as a Zelda rep (I'm expecting Ganondorf to return obviously and WW Link as a replacement for the older younglink version). However the moveset you gave certainly makes him work.
Tingle could easily make it as a Zelda rep if a new slot opens. I'm aware that Ganondorf will return and so may WWLink be included in Brawl, but since there are so many new slots and LoZ is such a popular franchise, who says they can't both get in? Though, pesonally, I'd rather not have wwLink in simply because he'd be little more than a clone of older Link and while cell-shaded Link is important he's still... Link. I'd rather have a completely new character.

I support Tingle...but I doubt he'd be in Brawl...and since Nintendo is aware of Tingles unpopularity in every other part of the world(most of it from the US)...I doubt they'd add him...nice moveset....
They've added characters whose games have never seen the Americas, why not one that is disliked? I doubt they won't add tingle, since Nintendo loves him and he's getting his own games - not spinoffs, actual series games now. Besides, he may be disliked, but at the same time the reasons to are ridiculous.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Tingle scares me inside. He's extremely creepy.
Also, he's a supporting character, and relatively minor in the Zelda series, despite being reocurring. Being popular only in Japan hurts him more that you'd think. Sakurai wants the game to be well-received everywhere. How could he accomplish this by adding a character that half the people buying Brawl hate?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, he's a supporting character, and relatively minor in the Zelda series, despite being reocurring. Being popular only in Japan hurts him more that you'd think. Sakurai wants the game to be well-received everywhere. How could he accomplish this by adding a character that half the people buying Brawl hate?
So are you also against Takamuru and Sukapon...let alone Starfy?

(Well technically they are only popular in Japan because of Japanese only release though...)

Kirby knight

Smash Lord

Originally Posted by pineappleupsetshark

Well then I guess Sonic won't be in by that logic because Japan isn't that fond of him.

That's kinda of a dumb logic; I mean did you love every single character in melee? everyone has different tastes and each character appeals to those tastes.

-Knight

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
He'll be an Assist Trophy for sure, IMO. I think he falls under that quirky, assist-trophy character category better than anyone else.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
my friend lunidas...... tingle is cool.
i want him in.
a good "oh crap he actually made it, time for revenge for popping my balloons at termina bay!!!!!" would be nice.

but

he isnt as original as you think.
a greedy middle aged man == wario

but

your right about popularity, and Zelda should get 1 more representative, (if cs link replaces young link) so tingle has a good chance.

Tingle 4 brawl!!

ps, hes not stupid, but geno is. =]

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Relatively minor?

WTF.

Sorry, but... he's not. Especially not compared to any other potential LoZ character other than the triforce three. We can exclude Skull Kid, Vaati has only appeared in three games, and Midna only once. Tingle practically saved Link's butt in Windwaker even at a price, and has helped Link in many games. Unimportant is an understatement.

YES, I KNOW that Sakurai wants to appeal to everyone, but at the same time Nintendo is currently working very hard to improve Tingle's image. I can't think of anything better for that than including him in Brawl and giving him an awesome moveset.

he isnt as original as you think.
a greedy middle aged man == wario
I find Tingle more original than Wario. While both of them are greedy middle age men, Wario is more of the generic type and a direct anti-Mario. Tingle, on the other hand, has a kid's personality and thinks he is doing the right thing, and unlike Wario, Tingle wasn't created with Link in mind.

He'll be an Assist Trophy for sure, IMO. I think he falls under that quirky, assist-trophy character category better than anyone else.
I doubt it. Tingle is a reocurring, specific, and important character in the Legend of Zelda series. Heck, I don't even have to mention the Zelda series since he has his own franchise now, apparently, where he's the main character.

Mandalore

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why, but I just don't like Tingle. He would probably bring a very unique moveset, but he really annoys me in many ways: his appearance, personality and rupee-stealing. If he does make it, I probably would just not play as him.

Biosage X

Smash Apprentice
i personally do not want tingle as a playable character, however Lunadis, i approve of your thread. It is well thought out and shows actual common sense unlike alot of other Tingle threads, and some threads in general. I am not saying that you changed my mind, because i cannot see him as a fighter, but you truly did put a solid effort into this, and I respect that.

Tingle as an assist trophy though? I can see that.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
I'll officially state it now, and someone can quote me should I ever become pro, that if Tingle is confirmed and will be in Brawl, I personally will main him out the wazoo, even if he ends up becoming bottom tier.

I've always loved Tingle in the Zelda games, he's the awesome comic relief, and since he's already in Melee, it's only natural to upgrade him to playable character in Brawl!

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I don't know why, but I just don't like Tingle. He would probably bring a very unique moveset, but he really annoys me in many ways: his appearance, personality and rupee-stealing. If he does make it, I probably would just not play as him.
This isn't really a Tingle fan thread, and Tingle annoys a lot of people. I'm not here to discuss how awesome Tingle is because I'm not a fan of his either. The fact of the matter is that there is a high chance that he will become playable, and as long as you accept that I'm fine with it.

i personally do not want tingle as a playable character, however Lunadis, i approve of your thread. It is well thought out and shows actual common sense unlike alot of other Tingle threads, and some threads in general. I am not saying that you changed my mind, because i cannot see him as a fighter, but you truly did put a solid effort into this, and I respect that.
Tingle as an assist trophy though? I can see that.
Have you played Tingle's games? From what I hear he wields a sword in his newest game, which indicates to me that yes, he can fight. If not, I trust Sakurai can pull off a moveset like he did with Zelda and the rest.

Hey, Lunadis, can you copy&paste the common arguments and how I said they were just Points Refuted A Thousand Times (PRATTS)?

CanadianIdiot

Smash Cadet
*sigh* I do not support Tingle. But I said this before: Put him in the Japaneese version and Balloon fighter in the american version. If you got a problem with that, you can just go to PlayAsia and buy the Tingle version.

OR...

You can have Balloon Fighter in it and have Tingle as some "hidden skin" for the character. All I am saying. Then, we'll all be happy.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
*sigh* I do not support Tingle. But I said this before: Put him in the Japaneese version and Balloon fighter in the american version. If you got a problem with that, you can just go to PlayAsia and buy the Tingle version.
Eh, I guess that could work, but for some reason I have trouble seeing that.

You can have Balloon Fighter in it and have Tingle as some "hidden skin" for the character. All I am saying. Then, we'll all be happy.
I doubt it, Tingle is not balloon fighter, and does not depend on his balloon like BF does.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Posting to subscribe.

So, where was I.

1. Tingle is ugly and unless Sakurai's team manages to do something about that, if he's in, I'll have to avoid seeing him for the sake of my innocent, fragile eyes.

2. If Tingle's in, he should have a moveset like Lunadis', because that would make him bearable and would at least stay true to his nature. However, he must not be high-tier, because nobody's favourite character deserves to be below the fighting prowess of Tingle.

3. Tingle does have a relatively good chance, but should still be in after the likes of Midna and Vaati, because, yes, he is nothing but a comic relief character with a dubious relevance to the plot in one game ( translating maps, something that could have been done by any other character, really... how much this actually makes him "important" in terms of plot is debatable... ). And his own series is only just spreading. Not to mention that Midna, WW Link, Tetra, and so on, all have a thousand times as much personality in my opinion.

4. I'll respect any Tingle fan who respects my opinion.
Unless Tingle gets in before WW Link.
Then I will make a dartboard with Tingle's face on it. :p

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Posting to subscribe.

So, where was I.

1. Tingle is ugly and unless Sakurai's team manages to do something about that, if he's in, I'll have to avoid seeing him for the sake of my innocent, fragile eyes.

Ok; however it can be argued that Wario is ugly as well. I assume what you said here is a joke.

2. If Tingle's in, he should have a moveset like Lunadis', because that would make him bearable and would at least stay true to his nature. However, he must not be high-tier, because nobody's favourite character deserves to be below the fighting prowess of Tingle.

Again ditto from a above. though it would be lol if Tingle was the best character in the game xD

3. Tingle does have a relatively good chance, but should still be in after the likes of Midna and Vaati, because, yes, he is nothing but a comic relief character with a dubious relevance to the plot in one game ( translating maps, something that could have been done by any other character, really... how much this actually makes him "important" in terms of plot is debatable... ). And his own series is only just spreading. Not to mention that Midna, WW Link, Tetra, and so on, all have a thousand times as much personality in my opinion.

Could you please inform me a bit more about Vaati; as in importance to the Zelda series. Isn't Vaati a villian? I don't think LoZ is going to get another villian unless there of equal importance with Ganondorf.

I haven't played TP yet so I cannot make a comment about Midna. She was in one game; Tingle has appeared in many more games than she has; as well as having his own game as well so that could very will put him above Midna.

He also has a considerable fanbase behind him that is pretty impressive.

I found Tingle's personality to be quite amusing to be honest; that doesn't really matter though.

I don't have a problem respecting anyone unless they say something so stupid they don't deserve it (King Dedede will be a Kirby clone -_-). I predict that WW Link will get into before Tingle; however you cannot count him out because he has something that put him over Vaati and Minda.

-Knight

CanadianIdiot

Smash Cadet
Assist Trophy's are mostly minor characters from games. (Hammer Bros., Knuckle Joe, etc.) I, personally, think Tingle would suit best as an Assist Trophy. Maybe he'll fly around, droping bombs on guys, and dropping Rupees, healing and characters who pick them up. Tingle was never the important character in the Zelda games. (Remember in Minish Cap how he wanted to be a fairy and would give you something when you fuse all the kingstones? Not really related to the story!) But, this is Brawl, and I quote from pretty P.O. Tingle fans, "anybody can apear".

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Posting to subscribe.

So, where was I.

That... I can't deny, yet it is not a valid reason to exclude him. MM Tingle is pretty ugly, WW Tingle is tolerable and his Purlo form is okay. It depends what design Sakurai prefers, though personally I'd prefer his cell-shaded form.

Really, I don't exactly know what people mean by low-tiers and high-tiers and all that, but what it seems they mean is how some characters are more powerful than others, and that is something that I hope Sakurai avoids entirely.

Midna has appeared in only one game, in mostly her imp form, and seems that she has completely depended on Link, Vaati has been in three and is not recognizable as Tingle at all. I severely doubt Vaati or Midna have a higher chance than Tingle, and while I would rather play as Vaati or Midna myself, I don't see them being too important to the franchise, especially when Midna can be forgotten just like Navi was.
Tingle not being important? I still have to say no to that. Yes, it could have been done by any other character, but the fact is it wasn't, the fact is Tingle kept coming back, the fact is that you needed Tingle to complete the games, the fact is that Nintendo loves the guy. You may think that Midna, WW Link, Tetra have more personality than Tingle, but I'm sure Kensuke Tanabe completely disagrees with you:

Kensuke Tanabe: “A little while before we started this project, I was talking with my boss at that time, saying; ‘Nintendo will need to consider promoting new characters other than Mario and Link.’

“We were looking for a character that had a totally different flavour from Mario and Link and who would have a strong impact, and we came to the conclusion, ‘What about Tingle?’

“He is not a cool guy at all, and he is not a character whom everybody likes. However, at least I can say he is a person who cannot be ignored.
Tingle was not just a comedic relief character, Tingle was not just a minor character. Even if he is comedic relief, why should that affect his chances in brawl?

-shrug- Whatever, I loved WW and Minish Cap and so on (though MC was a bit too easy), but it's still Link, and I'd rather have a different character altogether.

Assist Trophy's are mostly minor characters from games. (Hammer Bros., Knuckle Joe, etc.) I, personally, think Tingle would suit best as an Assist Trophy.
Realistically, I think making Tingle an AT would be seriously undermining and underestimating him. ATs are characters like Shy guy or Toads, or nintendogs characters that appear often but are nonspecific or not a fighting character at all. Tingle with how he is a character that "cannot be ignored," can fight, is specific and now that he has his own franchise is much more than just a shy guy. Seriously, Nintendo could have chosen to give Zelda her own franchise like Peach instead of Tingle, but that didn't happen.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
No, Tingle shouldn't be in Brawl. Put more deserving Zelda characters in like Human-form Vaati; or hell, any character deserves a spot more than Tingle.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
No, Tingle shouldn't be in Brawl. Put more deserving Zelda characters in like Human-form Vaati; or hell, any character deserves a spot more than Tingle.
Just because you "personally" don't like the suggested character doesn't mean he doesn't have the merits to be in the game. Why don't you actually "read" this thread before spewing a bs remark like that. Vaati is nowhere near as important as Tingle.

Tell me what a character has to do to "deserve" a spot in Brawl.

-Knight

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Just because you "personally" don't like the suggested character doesn't mean he doesn't have the merits to be in the game.
Yes it does, only if I don't like the character.
Why don't you actually "read" this thread before spewing a bs remark like that.
I have, all I see is senseless bullsh-t supporting a sh-tty character like Tingle to be in the game when he's easily overshadowed by many other Zelda characters (even f-cking Zant, who's complete sh-t as a character).
Vaati is nowhere near as important as Tingle.
He's starred as the main atagonist in three games. Tingle is just a side character that fails at what he's supposed to be (which is comic relief) and stars in one, mediocre RPG game. So yes, Vaati is a lot more important than Tingle. And even if he wasn't, Vaati at least can fight while Tingle wouldn't. Vaati would be way more unique with his wind sorcery, as no one else in Brawl has the actually ability to control wind like he does. Tingle wouldn't bring anything new at all to the Brawl cast.
Tell me what a character has to do to "deserve" a spot in Brawl.
Be good and have potential, something Tingle has neither of.

Fawriel

Smash Master
...Vaati not as important as Tingle? Without Vaati, Minish Cap wouldn't have a plot at all, while Tingle gave you some kinstone pieces and that's it.

In the end, we don't really know what gets a character into Brawl. A major factor that we know for sure would be that Sakurai has to like them, hence the retro characters. We don't know how important popularity is. Sure, he's not going to leave out the absolute huge fan-favourites like Diddy Kong and such, but I didn't see Tingle anywhere among the top 5 mentions in Sakurai's poll, like Ike and Diddy were.

We don't know how important significance is. We don't know how "important" Tingle is. He may have appeared in many games and spawned his own game, in my eyes, that only puts him a notch above Petey Piranha, whose function is basically equivalent to "Tingle, boss variant". He kept reappearing as a boss, which actually made him an integral part of the plots of some games, and he was playable in a thousand Mario sports games.

I'll stick to my idea that the soul and personality of a character are the most important, and Midna has easily some of the most personality in the whole Zelda series. Not to mention she was extremely important in Twilight Princess, which, if you look at it, is actually named after her. I'd put them about on the same level in terms of importance and possibly fan-support, but Midna, possibly combined with Wolf Link, just offers the most unique character, while Tingle, in my eyes, seems like a mixture between Luigi and Wario.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
...Vaati not as important as Tingle? Without Vaati, Minish Cap wouldn't have a plot at all, while Tingle gave you some kinstone pieces and that's it.

In the end, we don't really know what gets a character into Brawl. A major factor that we know for sure would be that Sakurai has to like them, hence the retro characters. We don't know how important popularity is. Sure, he's not going to leave out the absolute huge fan-favourites like Diddy Kong and such, but I didn't see Tingle anywhere among the top 5 mentions in Sakurai's poll, like Ike and Diddy were.

We don't know how important significance is. We don't know how "important" Tingle is. He may have appeared in many games and spawned his own game, in my eyes, that only puts him a notch above Petey Piranha, whose function is basically equivalent to "Tingle, boss variant". He kept reappearing as a boss, which actually made him an integral part of the plots of some games, and he was playable in a thousand Mario sports games.

I'll stick to my idea that the soul and personality of a character are the most important, and Midna has easily some of the most personality in the whole Zelda series. Not to mention she was extremely important in Twilight Princess, which, if you look at it, is actually named after her. I'd put them about on the same level in terms of importance and possibly fan-support, but Midna, possibly combined with Wolf Link, just offers the most unique character, while Tingle, in my eyes, seems like a mixture between Luigi and Wario.
Good post, but I honestly see Midna with Wolf Link as more AT material, imo, but that's another topic.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I suppose I don't really have anything against Tingle specifically, but the Zelda series has enough reps. The triforce-wielders are enough.

Kaento

Smash Apprentice
I dont mind tingle being playable in brawl. i just think that his new RPG should have been released in the US also. that way, more people would understand how tingle really is and not go "WTF!!?" when/if they see him in brawl.

anyway, i say Tingle for AT. just seems like a better idea IMO.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I have, all I see is senseless bullsh-t supporting a sh-tty character like Tingle to be in the game when he's easily overshadowed by many other Zelda characters (even f-cking Zant, who's complete sh-t as a character).
-sniffs-
Do you smell that? It's the bitter and annoying smell of DENIAL. If Tingle was such the "****ty" character that you think he is, Nintendo would not have brought him into the games over and over, they wouldn't have chosen him to promote more, they wouldn't have given him his own games. What you think of Tingle does not matter, it's what Nintendo thinks about him, and seeing how Kensuke Tanabe chose him of all the characters of all the nintendo franchises, they love the fairy-wannabe.

He's starred as the main atagonist in three games. Tingle is just a side character that fails at what he's supposed to be (which is comic relief) and stars in one, mediocre RPG game. So yes, Vaati is a lot more important than Tingle. And even if he wasn't, Vaati at least can fight while Tingle wouldn't. Vaati would be way more unique with his wind sorcery, as no one else in Brawl has the actually ability to control wind like he does. Tingle wouldn't bring anything new at all to the Brawl cast.
Tingle is a side character that appears much more than Vaati. Sure, Vaati is more important than Tingle in his three games, but overall to the franchise Vaati is just another villain put into the game so that Ganondorf doesn't become cheap. The only reason why you don't think Tingle is funny is because Tingle is more adjusted to the Japanese sense of humor, and maybe that's why Japan loves him, while the States Tingle seems to represent all the stereotypes of Nintendo's games and that's why he's considered an "embarrassment." If you guys want manly badass characters, go get a fecking Xbox because I don't get how nobody hates Link when his official cosplayer is a girl.
No one else in Brawl has the ability to control wind? Huh, that's odd, because I recall a Legend of Zelda game that was mostly based on Link doing that.
Nothing to Brawl? How about comedy? After all, looking at the few clips I'm afraid Brawl may be too dark. Heck, I found Twilight Princess to be too dark for my tastes at times. I missed Tingle when I never thought I would.
You say Tingle's game was a ****ty RPG, have you actually played it?

Be good and have potential, something Tingle has neither of.
Right. Do I have to link to Kensuke Tanabe's interview again? Because you're not obviously getting it.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
-sniffs-
Do you smell that? It's the bitter and annoying smell of DENIAL.
No, I don't think so. Nice try, but that was a sh-tty joke and wouldn't even be funny even if I was some random guy who found everything to be funny.
If Tingle was such the "****ty" character that you think he is, Nintendo would not have brought him into the games over and over, they wouldn't have chosen him to promote more, they wouldn't have given him his own games.
Since when does him appearing in many games make him not sh-tty? That's like saying Naruto is good just because it's popular when it blatantly isn't.
What you think of Tingle does not matter, it's what Nintendo thinks about him, and seeing how Kensuke Tanabe chose him of all the characters of all the nintendo franchises, they love the fairy-wannabe.
Too bad, it isn't what Kensuke Tanabe wants, it's what Sakurai wants. Sakurai isn't going to put a dull and substance-less character in like Tingle when there's so many other potential spots for actually good characters.
Tingle is a side character that appears much more than Vaati. Sure, Vaati is more important than Tingle in his three games, but overall to the franchise Vaati is just another villain put into the game so that Ganondorf doesn't become cheap.
Yeah, and Tingle is just another side-character that Nintendo likes to exploit to please fans even though he was a completely sh-t character in the first place.
The only reason why you don't think Tingle is funny is because Tingle is more adjusted to the Japanese sense of humor, and maybe that's why Japan loves him, while the States Tingle seems to represent all the stereotypes of Nintendo's games and that's why he's considered an "embarrassment."
No, I'm quite adjusted to the Japanese sense of humor, have been for years. Tingle, however, just isn't funny overall. And since when did he represent all the stereotypes of Nintendo games? He morely represents some old man full of words and actions with sexual innuendo. Common stereotype in Japan, and it isn't funny after seeing it hundreds of times.
If you guys want manly badass characters, go get a fecking Xbox because I don't get how nobody hates Link when his official cosplayer is a girl.
I don't care if the character is manly or badass, just as long as he has potential and is a good character. Tingle has no potential and is a completely idiotic and sh-tty character, of course I'm going to detest him in Brawl.
No one else in Brawl has the ability to control wind? Huh, that's odd, because I recall a Legend of Zelda game that was mostly based on Link doing that.
Yeah, obviously Link is able to magically control wind via experience in sorcery and be able to have cool wind abilities. YOU GOT ME THERE!!!
Nothing to Brawl? How about comedy? After all, looking at the few clips I'm afraid Brawl may be too dark. Heck, I found Twilight Princess to be too dark for my tastes at times. I missed Tingle when I never thought I would.
Too bad.
You say Tingle's game was a ****ty RPG, have you actually played it?
Yes.
Right. Do I have to link to Kensuke Tanabe's interview again? Because you're not obviously getting it.
Kensuke Tanabe doesn't decide who's in Brawl, ever. Deal with it.

Top Bottom