• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official item discussion

killbeast301

Smash Lord
This is the thread to discuss specifically item related things. Discuss your item ideas, and how you think the confirmed items will affect the game.

Official site items

Smash ball

Old Items

Beam Sword- Same as before, but this time it's blue and gets really long.

Fire Flower- Same as before, hold A to spew fire.

Freezie- Throw to freeze someone.

Home-Run Bat- F-smash to swing a home-run hit. each character has an individual stance.

Party Ball- Again, holds items. The picture on the Dojo shows it to hold a new item, a clock of some sort. What does this clock do?

Super Mushroom- Makes you big

Super Scope- The superscope is back, it still can rapid fire, and now you can move and jump while shooting. I've allways wanted to move while shooting the super scope

Barrel/Crate- When you break these open, items pop out. you can also throw these at people, and they break open. They will change appearance based upon which stage is being played. There are crates that can slide accross the floor now too. You can also stand on the crates it seems. The interaction with crates and barrels may be much more realistic this time, but who knows.

Bumper- The classic bumper is back. throw it on the ground to send your enemies up, or keep them off the stage. This time you can stick it in midair too, like we did with the flipper in melee. Yay Bumper!

Hammer- The same hammer from melee is back. It seems to work the same way. The head still falls off

New Items

Gooey bomb link- it's a bomb that you can stick to anything, including characters. I think it could work well and make for decent edge gaurd (maybe) and be a good combo starter.

Cracker Launcher- A large rocket launcher that shoots firecrackers as soon as you pick it up. You can walk and jump while carrying it, and aim up and down by tilting the controll stick up and down. Explosives are fun!

Banana Peel- You can pick it up and throw it. If a character steps on it, he/she slips and falls down. Classic:lick:

Pitfall- Throw the ball with the exclamation point at the ground and it dissapears. When someone steps on that area, He gets sucked under ground. If the character gets hit, he goes under too. If someone gets hit on a platform that can be passsed through, he appears on the underside. How long it lasts, I don't know.

Smoke Ball- Throw this to create a smokescreen and attack unseen. You can also pick it back up and have a smokescreen follow you around.

Franklin Badge- put it on you to reflect all projectiles. FFox isn't the only one with a reflector. It also has the word Mother on it; Mother/Earthbound series?

Suprespicy Curry- A food item. It's curry thats so hot you shoot flames from your mouth. Your character will be covered in fire, and when you attack, your enemie will take extra damage, or something. you can do more combos with this.

Golden Hammer- An item similar to the Hammer. It is more powerful than the hammer. It seems that it doesn't swing automatically, but when you press A. If you press A fast enough, you can float in midair. Though the head does not fall off, it can still malfunction as the squeaky hammer. What that eactly means is unknown.

Smash Ball link- This is a ball that looks like the smash icon, and when you grab it, you can perform a Final Smash. After grabing the icon, the character seems to be surrounded by a fiery glow, and while in this state, the character can perform the move, once and only once.
Character's Final Smashes
Mario- Mario finale: shoots a large fireball type thing.
Link- Triforce Slash: traps the opponent between 2 triforces and just slashes away, then finishes with some finishing blow (Scraaaaah!).
Pikachu- Volt Tackle: transforms into a ball of light and charges sround the stage tackling everyone.
Bowser- Giga Bowser: Self explanatory.
Samus- Zero laser: Samus shoots a giant laser type thing. Afterward the armor falls off and she becomes Zero Suit Samus.
Yoshi- Super Dragon: Yoshi grows wings and can fly. He also can breath fire, so watch out.
Diddy Kong- Rocketbarrel Barrage: Diddy flies around on his Rocket Pack shooting peanuts straight down. Lean left and right to move left and right. As you move, the peanuts are shot somewhat behind you
Pokemon Trainer- Triple Finish: If one of the pokemon gets the ball, then all come out and perform their most powerful attacks. Hydro pump, Solar beam, and Fire blast. It's super effective!
Fox- Landmaster: Fox calls in the landmaster! jump to make it hover, tilt down to make it roll, and press A to fire the cannon. It turns slow so it's hard to hit the guy behind you.
Kirby- Cook-Kirby: Kirby puts on a chef hat, takes out a pot, and somehow gathers everyone in the pot and cooks them untill they are fully cooked. Then some items pop out, and Kirby's enemies are sent flying.
Peach- Peach Blossom: Everyone falls asleep, and peaches appear. You can eat the peaches, and attack everyone who is asleep.

Poké-Ball- Poké-Balls appear on the stage. You can pick them up and throw them. Poké-mon pop out, and can attack the enemy. Pretty much the same as in Melee.
Confirmed Pokémon are
Groudon- He's big, and hot, don't get burned.
Chikorita- in the last game she attacked those right in front of her.
Goldeen- It would seem that this one does nothing, again.
Deoxys- Deoxys comes out of the poké-ball, floats around for a second, then shoots a hyper beam down on the feild.
Munchlax- Munchlax walks around and eats any items it can get
Piplup- Piplup, the water starter for Diamond and Pearl, is a pokéball pokémon. Piplup uses surf to move accross the stage, and any player that get caught in this surf will be washed away with it.
Meowth- Meowth uses payday and unleashes a slow barrage of coins

Assist Trophies- If you pick this up a nintendo character will come out and attack your enemies in battle for a bit. None of these characters are playable, though. It seems to be a little broken since most of these are invincible. I hope it doesn't act like a whole 'nother character.
Confirmed Assist Tropies
Samurai Goroh- He slices 'n dices your enemies with his sword. Sorry Goroh fans, he's not playable.
Hammer Bro.- The classic mario enemy comes out and throws hammers at your enemies. Don't get hit.
Nintendog- The Nintendog you saw in the trailer is an Assist Trophy. All it does is block everyone's view, including your own.
Dr. Wright- The mayor of SNES Sim City is an assist trophy. He summons a bunch of sky scrapers that send everyone flying
Knuckle Joe- The powerful fighter of the Kirby series is an Assist Trophy. When he comes out, he hits your enemies with a storm of volcan jabs, then finishes with either the Smash Punch, or the Rising Break.
Devil- the guy from the NES game Devil World is an assist trophy. He floats in the air and then points his fingers in a given direction, and the stage flies that way. You will most likely fall off, along with everyone else.
Andross- The Star Fox villan's polygonal form floats to the background, inhales, then spits out tiles. try not to get hit.
Lyn- Lyn will start by crouching and charging up her attack. Then she will charge at an opponent and hit him. Hold your opponent for an easier hit.
Resseti- All he does is lecture you, whether you've reseted or not. He seems to be mad about being an item.
Excitebike- A pixelated Assist Trophy, excite bikers ride by across the stage, hitting into everyone.
Lakitu- A pixelated Assist Trophy, Lakutu drops those red spiny shells/koopas, they walk around and can hurt you.
Little Mac- Little Mac runs around the stage punching people.

I found some information here. I don't want to call it official though.
Originally Posted by Destructiod
Items weren't on extreme heavy rotation, but I did catch a few new things:

The bumper is back and is more annoying than ever.
The energy sword is now blue instead of pink.
There's now a Spring Jump pad (like the Spring Jumps from the Mario series).
Screw Attack will stick to your chest so you can grab another item and still use the Screw Attack.
There's an item that looks like a poker chip with the letter B on it. It's a bomb and will easily inflict 70% damage onto you if you get hit with it.
There's an item that sticks to you and shoots out fireballs for about half a minute.
There's an item that looks like a cross between a Thwomp and a Spiker. You can pick it up and throw it at people.
That's some of the new items that haven't been shown at the DOJO yet. There's also a few other things like Bob-ombs, Fire Flower, Poison Flower and a few other things that were in the demo too that were from past Smashes.

Some new Assist Trophies were also revealed. First thing you should know though about the Trophies is that the second you grab them, they shatter automatically and your Assist character will come out. A lot of the Assist characters that were in this demo were revealed before too, but here are a few new ones:

Metroid. Yes, a f*cking Metroid! It will attack whoever is close, latch onto them and suck their energy out.
Little Mac. The classic Punch-Out fighter will run around the map boxing whoever he can.
Drill Dozer. From the highly underrated game comes Drill Dozer as she Drills people.
Sin and Punishment character. She shoots and slashes at whoever is closest to her.
A few new Pokemon were also shown off. Now I don't know what the hell their names are, so I'll try to describe them as best as I can.

A giant blue whale that can fly. It shoots out water.
Two metallic looking birds. One was blue, one was pinkish. They each come from either side of the screen and I guess use Tackle Attack on whoever gets caught in their attack. It's actually pretty strong and hard to get out of it.
A little chicken that's on fire: It uses Flame Thrower attack.
A penguin. It uses Ice ... Thrower attack.
I also spotted a few old ones like the green dinosaur with a leaf on it's head and Snorlax.

Finally, I'll talk about the Smash Ball, the item probably everybody is really curious about. I'm glad to say that the Smash Ball won't be anywhere near as cheap as I thought it would be. For starters, you have to "break" the Smash Ball open. Once the Smash Ball comes onto the stage, it will float around in the air and you have to smash it open. It will take several hits before it finally opens. Of course, there will usually be a lot of people trying to go for it, so if you do grab the Smash Ball, watch out! It can be knocked out of you and it's another free for all for the Smash Ball. For most of the Final Smash attacks, you're going to have to be near a character to use them. You have only one shot at it and if you miss, you lose your power up.

In order to activate your Final Smash attack, you just have to press the neutral Smash button (don't point the directional stick). Most of the Final Smashes have been revealed already so I'll just mention the ones that haven't yet. First, Peach's Final Smash causes the camera to just zoom in on her while a couple of graphics from the Peach DS game come on the screen. When the camera zooms out, your opponents have fallen to sleep and dozens of peaches have appeared for you to eat and regain health with. Ike's Final Smash is identical to Link's Final Smash. Ike will slash at you several times and then knock you into the sky or off of the stage with his sword. Meta Knight will grab his opponents and just do a slash at whoever gets trapped by him which usually results in an instant K.O. Pikachu transforms into a dark energy ball and can fly anywhere on the map. I was playing with Dyson most of the time and he had no idea he could fly with Pikachu's Final Smash. So he just stood there as Pikachu and I decided to walk right into him. I instantly got near 600% damage. It's very hard to control Pikachu when you're flying (it's also very similar to Sonic's Final Smash) but it will inflict a lot of damage. Finally, Zero Suit Samus's Final Smash is just getting her suit back and also radiating a lot of energy around her that will hurt you, but won't do significant damage.
Discuss.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Good thread. I wonder why the one concerning only the Gooey Bomb wasn't closed yet.. and how they managed to discuss it for 7 pages.

Vali

Smash Ace
Wario's fart is speculated as a B move isn't it? I believe the trailer just showed it off slightly "nuclear" for emphasis, since it was the first time it was shown. That isn't Samus' confirmed super smash either since there's no evidence to show that it is, but it could well be. Still you really shouldn't group them together with Mario, Link and Kirby's in the first place seeming that those are the only 3 confirmed.

Stryks

Smash Hero
The wario waft (the fart move) is not a super, its a normal B move If I recall warios profile correctly, and we still dont know if the super beam attack of samus's is indeed her super move... Still great thread!

Vali

Smash Ace
I don't believe any are "confirmed"
Trailer shows Mario grabbing the emblem and doing his super smash, followed by mock-ups of Link's and Kirby's (since they're probably not going to be cutscene-esque). It was said that Wario would build up the "Wario Waft" over a period time, meaning that it wouldn't be a super smash.

Just for the record

Wariohas a nuclear fart (just keep him from Hiroshima, they've had enough to deal with)
Not cool man. Definitely not cool.

crazyq42

Smash Rookie
ya i think the nintendogs is an item but i don't know if you just pick up a dog that's running around the stage or whatever you have to do to activate it

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Wario's fart is speculated as a B move isn't it? I believe the trailer just showed it off slightly "nuclear" for emphasis, since it was the first time it was shown. That isn't Samus' confirmed super smash either since there's no evidence to show that it is, but it could well be. Still you really shouldn't group them together with Mario, Link and Kirby's in the first place seeming that those are the only 3 confirmed.
True... But they are a key cornerstone of interest and sense we don't have any solid yay or nay confirmations on the matter educated speculation makes for a much better time waster then just siting around & taping our fingers...

What I'm somewhat worried about is the level at which items can be tuned off... Especially during online play...

The "brawl attacks" especially if they are indeed linked to that orb like Smash icon... That icon itself might appear after a character reaches a certain number of attacks or total accumulated damage...

If they chose to impalement it into the game that way it might be considered a character fetcher more then an item & possibly might not be able to be turned off... (Or any item for that matter in online play)

Which would mean pros would have to brake from combos so that the orbs they're generating can't be picked up by there opponents as a desperation counter...

Pure speculation with a side of BS I must admit but if that's not to far fetched from the truth I wonder as to what the community would think about Brawl... And how or if it would effect it's popularity online... ?

killbeast301

Smash Lord
How the Brawl items work exactly, nobody knows (except Sakurai). I sure hope they don't spawn for the losing character. If they can make it spawn for a particular character, then they should be able to, and should make into effect, that all items spawn away from characters. That should take out the "randomness" and make it less likely that a bob-omb or exploding capsule spawn right in front of you as you attack. Kaboom! self destruct. Really annoying.

Vali

Smash Ace
What I'm somewhat worried about is the level at which items can be tuned off... Especially during online play...
Brings up an interesting discussion, actually, since the wave of new items no doubt will cause a rift down the Smash Bros. community I'm sure. The new items with their ingenuity such as the Gooey Bomb are already getting people excited about the item prospects (and Brawl in general) and I think by the time Brawl launches we're going to see a lot more people pro-items than we are at the moment where the general consensus is "No items, thanks.".

Now assumedly Smash Bros. will be like most online games where we'll have a "host" who decides all of the settings for a match, but how will items be handled? It's already been said there'll be no communication without friend codes since Nintendo wants to keep the online family environment free of trash-talking and so when playing randomly online what happens when you have 3 people that wants to play with items on and a grumpy host who wants items off, or a 50/50 split down the middle? It'd suck having to search for ages looking for a decent game because so many games have items turned on if you want them off and vice versa.

Doesn't even have to be online, what about your friends? :urg:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
that is a good point Vali

i think that during online play the host will choose the settings although that could get a lot of people angry. maybe there will be 2 modes of online play, items, and no items. if items is chosen the host chooses how many.

@killbeast301 i thought the smash move item was confirmed, but correct me if i am wrong (with proof)

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Brings up an interesting discussion, actually, since the wave of new items no doubt will cause a rift down the Smash Bros. community I'm sure. The new items with their ingenuity such as the Gooey Bomb are already getting people excited about the item prospects (and Brawl in general) and I think by the time Brawl launches we're going to see a lot more people pro-items than we are at the moment where the general consensus is "No items, thanks.".
Well my biggest concern is if we could turn off items... At what price?... If it turns out that "Brawl attacks" are done through items I do believe it would cause most to want to leave them on outside competitive play just to spice things up...

But what about in competitive play?... Again while this is only speculation but what if it indeed turns out character transformations like Zsamus depend on them?...

It wouldn't be far to those who use Zsamus as part of there game to have to find another play style to main or to ditch there character altogether as it might turn out for all we know Pit could have a devastating advantage over Samus in her suite and the only real counterbalance for it is Zsamus...

But even beyond pepole just having likes & dislikes about items it might not be possible to take some of them away without severely effecting game play... And leaving them in could be just as bad... Just like having exploding capsules in Meele that drop on a pro player who's been training for months & ends up loosing the game on that final stock because the capsule gave his opponent just the edge he/she needed...

That's... Just wrong... But that might vary well be what the games about to become...

Mind you it might not... But we have to see... Until then it's a concern of mine...

Now assumedly Smash Bros. will be like most online games where we'll have a "host" who decides all of the settings for a match, but how will items be handled? It's already been said there'll be no communication without friend codes since Nintendo wants to keep the online family environment free of trash-talking and so when playing randomly online what happens when you have 3 people that wants to play with items on and a grumpy host who wants items off, or a 50/50 split down the middle? It'd suck having to search for ages looking for a decent game because so many games have items turned on if you want them off and vice versa.
That... Would be a good enough system to satisfy most... But it could just as likely been that the game might place player 1 as the course/item god of the moment...

OR... The player with the most longed in time or KO's... As such some random n00b could sit around for hours killing level 1 Kirbys left & right until he/she is assured complete control over whoever he/she plays... To that ends a pro gamer might loose some in game status because some prick decided to give him/her a level 1 handicap with exploiting items turned on high...

Doesn't even have to be online, what about your friends? :urg:
Huh?... :confused:

You mean those things that come to the door wean your order pizza?

killbeast301

Smash Lord
@killbeast301 i thought the smash move item was confirmed, but correct me if i am wrong (with proof)
I'm not sure, but until I hear from a mod, or a boards member I completely trust, it will stay under semi'.

You guys raise good points.
It wouldn't be far to those who use Zsamus as part of there game to have to find another play style to main or to ditch there character altogether as it might turn out for all we know Pit could have a devastating advantage over Samus in her suite and the only real counterbalance for it is Zsamus...
I don't think the Zamus switch would be an item, but it might be, and that would be a problem.

maybe there will be 2 modes of online play, items, and no items. if items is chosen the host chooses how many.
I think Sakurai realizes how important that individual item could be, and would at least leave us that one separate. Then again I could be wrong.

OR... The player with the most longed in time or KO's... As such some random n00b could sit around for hours killing level 1 Kirbys left & right until he/she is assured complete control over whoever he/she plays... To that ends a pro gamer might loose some in game status because some prick decided to give him/her a level 1 handicap with exploiting items turned on high...
a noob couldn't vers a lv. 1 cpu and get his influence up, because it would most likely be the number of wins/KOs online and there wouldn't be any cpu's online probably

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
a noob couldn't vers a lv. 1 cpu and get his influence up, because it would most likely be the number of wins/KOs online and there wouldn't be any cpu's online probably
Good point actually... It would be insanely unbalanced otherwise... But the same sorta thing could happen if the n00b in question won allot of online matches by unfairly setting the odds in his/her favor for ever unsuspecting victim who excepts to play him/her...

People like that could ruin online play in that circumstance for newbies who are just getting into the game...

Friend codes would make it a bit better as everyone would eventually know to ignore that person but to the exact same ends pepole could also start to avoid good players because some ******* n00b go's around spreading rumors on the net that they cheat... :urg:

My biggest fear is that in order to simplify things Nintendo will leave the control over these things in the hand of the players themselves...

Sadly I must say the best plain in order of fairness would be to limit all players to just a select few ways of playing the game online...

Though I hope not too few... It would SUCK if the only online match we could have is an all item 3 min fight on the Battlefield stage...:dizzy:

This is one of those things where there's no pleasing everyone... Rather they make it bleak & fare or expansive but unbalanced...

Personally if I had to chose one I'm hopping for Expansive...

Scar

#HarveyDent
How's about after the host chooses the match, the guest sees what kind of match he's getting into and decides for himself whether to play or not?

Bad / unfair host = no guests.

:)

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
What items do u guys think metal gear might bring? i havent really played those games and as well as Kid icurus becuz i have yet 2 play that either.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
What items do u guys think metal gear might bring? i havent really played those games and as well as Kid icurus becuz i have yet 2 play that either.
List of Kid icarus Items that I know (cus I played and beat it):

2 crystals that swirls around u when u get it, it damages the enemy when it hits them.

A Longer and faster Bow extention for Pit

a fire extention for pit's bow.

Final level items: the 3 legendary armor and weapon, this really fast new bow that seems like a laser, a suit of armor and a giant shield that doesnt do anything.

another item is the hammer, (thor's hammer was it called? dont remember), u use it to either attack or shatter statue things (angels who were frozen by Medusa the evil boss), and when you're fighting the bosses the angels who you've rescued can be used to help you fight.

Another item( kind of) is the eggplant thing that the eggplant wizards throw onto u to turn pit into a eggplant, and when pit's an eggplant, he can't do anything other than running around, and u have to find a hospital in order to cure it.

that's all the items I can think of for Kid icarus.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
How's about after the host chooses the match, the guest sees what kind of match he's getting into and decides for himself whether to play or not?

Bad / unfair host = no guests.

:)
What?... NO!... That would make too much sense & be WAY to easy for the programmers to do!

Scar

#HarveyDent
Another item( kind of) is the eggplant thing that the eggplant wizards throw onto u to turn pit into a eggplant, and when pit's an eggplant, he can't do anything other than running around
Exactly the kind of fun that Brawl producers will be looking for, IMO.

What?... NO!... That would make too much sense & be WAY to easy for the programmers to do!
He's right! What was I thinking...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i think the only thing they can really do is let the host do it, or figure out some elaborate system of turns or voting.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
I think the host idea would work the best. But instead of actually hosting it, a player can set up the conditions on one of nintendo's servers or something. That way one player doesn't have lag advantage over the others.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
maybe you will be able to choose to join a group or create one, and if you create one, you set the settings, and if you join one, you can see the settings before you join

Vali

Smash Ace
Heh Level 9 what I meant was that when you're playing with friends like in your living room there's probably gonna be a lot of arguments over items. You can quit an online game quite easily but your friends, not so :chuckle:.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
I have that on the first post
in the red asterisks

I've seen an official stage discussion and an official character discussion, but no items, so here goes.

*Official site items*

This thread is for confirmed and semi-confirmed items, and how they may or may not affect the game. If you have an idea for a new item, post it here or make a new thread.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Heh Level 9 what I meant was that when you're playing with friends like in your living room there's probably gonna be a lot of arguments over items. You can quit an online game quite easily but your friends, not so :chuckle:.
Ah I see... Well I'm ok as far as that go's because my friend really isn't into smash all that much as his life is a bit hectic now being in college & all...

I just train based on videos I've watched over the net & basically pretend I'm fighting myself & try to counter the CCP's based on how I would attack an opponent in each situation...

A bit boring I must admit but it gets the job done good enough by the time I goto the next tournament...

But I could see that being a problem... :laugh:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
yes there should definetely be an official item thread. i would of made one myself if i got here earlier.

but i have a thought. in the gooey bomb section, it claims it is "like the motion sensor bomb." so does that mean the bomb might not be included, because the bomb was based on goldeneye in the u.s. and perfect dark in japan, which were made by rare and sold off after melee. i honestly think the motion sensor bomb will not come back and that is why we have the gooey bomb

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
Good job on makin an official item thread. I prob shudve done that in the 1st place, i made the gooey bomb thread btw... i think its closed now.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
Nope, I think that the motion sensor will stay. It brings a notion of stealth into play, whilst the gooey bomb is more like 'tag, your it'.

Good times with the motion sensor bomb, I just can't see it gone.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Nope, I think that the motion sensor will stay. It brings a notion of stealth into play, whilst the gooey bomb is more like 'tag, your it'.

Good times with the motion sensor bomb, I just can't see it gone.
More like tag your... dead

Anyways hopefully he will give us an item or two a week.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Actually isn't that more implying that this is gonna replace the motion sensor bomb?

Legolastom

Smash Hero
But this basically is the motion senser bomb so it would be a bit pointless in adding the old one as well.

Top Bottom