• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5/26/2007 - GIGABITS - Do we really need a reason to smash?

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
GIGABITS LAN Center will be holding it's 16th Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament Saturday May 26th 2007

Format: Doubles, Singles

Time:

Doubles Starts: 11:30am

Singles Starts after Doubles but not earlier then 2pm

-Note For those that haven't been to a Gigabits Tournament before these are an all day affair if participating in Doubles and Singles you will probably be here from around 11am to around 9pm (depending on how many people show).

Gamer Fees:

Doubles: $10 admission per player ($20 per team)
Singles: $15 admission per player

Rules= Stock
Stock = 4
Handicap = Off
Damage Ratio = 1.0
Friendly Fire = On
Self-destruct = -1
Items = Off

All four tournaments are Double Elimination as well as best two out of three with the semifinals and finals best 3 out of 5.

Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi’s Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach’s Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.

Prizes:

Doubles:

First Place team will receive 50% of doubles admission
Second Place team will receive 15% of doubles admission
Third Place team will receive 5% of doubles admission

Singles:

First Place will receive 50% of singles admission
Second Place will receive 15% of singles admission
Third Place will receive 5% of singles admission

Snacks and Food Available for Purchase at Gigabits (stock permitting)

- Pepsi Products (Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Lipton Teas, Tropicana producets, and more)
- Bawls
- Monster
- Redbull
- Dominos Personal Pan Pizzas (Gigabits sells 1 topping Dominos personal pan pizzas for 5 dollars including a can of soda).
- Chips (Pringles, Sunchips, Lays Producets)
- Candy (Lots of different Candy Bars, Airheads, etc etc)
- Doughnuts, Honeybuns, Etc.

Also located just in our Plaza is:

Dominos Pizza
Silver Mine Subs
Anmol Indian Cuisine
Miss Saigon Vietnamese
Lazy Moon Pizza (30 inch pizzas, huge slices run like 3-4 dollars which is awesome)
Jeremiahs Italian Ice
Millie's Jamican Cafe
Great China Chinesse
Fusian Sushi and Japenesse
Broadway Pizza
McDonalds
Bangkok Square Thai and Sushi
El Cerro Mexican

all that just in our plaza and more in the area. Yes, you are allowed to bring outside food and drink into the store.

12243 University Blvd.
Orlando, FL, 32817

Across The Street from UCF in the plaza with McDonalds and the El Cerro Mexican Restaurant. The plaza is called University Shoppes.

Gigabits is in the middle of the plaza next to Miss Saigon Vietnamese and Anmol Indian Cuisine.

Directions:

Coming off 417 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida, University Blvd.

Go straight down university heading for UCF. Gigabits is in the plaza on the left side of the street at the intersection of University Blvd and Alafaya Trail. (Across the Street from UCF).

Coming off 408 (toll road)

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida - You stay on 408 till it literally turns into Challenger Parkway. Stay on Challenger Parkway until you reach the intersection of Challenger and Alafaya Tr.

Hang a right on Alafaya Tr.

Contiune on Alafaya Tr. until you reach the intersection of University and Alafaya. Turn left here and take the next right then again the next immediate right and you will be in Gigabits' Plaza.

See GIGABITS website at www.gigabitslan.com

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
i'm gonna try desperately hard to be at this one. it'll be a 4 hour drive for me if i do come. so i'm gonna need housing for sure. OTRU... is that ok w/ u?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
So with it only being singles and doubles, I assume there will be pools again...which is completely AWESOME!

Couple suggestions on the first page so maybe somebody will see them:

first of all, it should eliminate down to a 32 man bracket...we had enough time, I believe. with it coming down to 32 man...we would have 2 sets of matches on each of the 8 tvs this time, and then an extra lower bracket set, and that would have been the only difference. It probably would have made maybe a 30 minute difference. This is not a huge deal, just my opinion.

Secondly, use the points/percentages from pools to seed the brackets instead of just elimination...this is a big one. Use the 2 match format again, but take the number of wins to seed the tourney. the best possible score last time would have been 12 wins, so anybody with 12 wins should get the high seed. For any ties in the scoring, use the respective scores of the other top player(s) who advance from the pool to make the decision.
For example:

player A gets 12 wins with player B in the same pool getting 10
player C in another pool also gets 12 wins with player D in that pool getting 9
PLayer A should get the 1 seed, with C getting the 2 seed...
this is kind of a crude way of doing things, but it's fairly simple to do.

Another way to do this is record the seed in each pool based on wins in that pool. in case of a tie, then do a single playoff match tiebreaker type. Then, rate each of the pools as far as "hardness" of the pool, either asking people, or using your seedings, then the #1 in the hardest pool fights the #2/4 (depending on how many people advance) in the weakest pool, and etc.

I must say that the seeding for the pools this last tourney was very good...it all seemed really even. No pool was really stacked. I was really impressed.

Anyways, I am in no way calling down Gigabits or the previous tourney. Gigs and the last tourney are/were both completely amazing, and I will come to every tourney you guys hold that I possibly can. I love that place, and it's kinda the staple of cfl smash now.

I'm just listing suggestions that I feel would make the tourney that much more amazing.

thanks guys, for holding these.

<3 gigs

EDIT!!

btw, Mwarhead, it's really good to see you posting, man...even better to see you at the tourney yesterday. Hope you're doing really well...take care of yourself, man.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Pools were awesome for the last one. Fenrir makes some good points on how things should be modified. It would indeed be more enjoyable running things that way without taking up much more time. I will be playing the game like crazy between now and then and will probably be going to the iNet tourney a week before this one. CmRoddy, be certain to come. We need some more matches. There is no way that two is enough. :)

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
^^ Yea man. I deff want to get more matches in with you. I just love your Mewtwo so much. It's just too awesome. Very Fun matches.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hey, I might be able to make it back for this one! >.<

I should be at school, so i'll be in the area.

I just need to find a way to orlando that doesnt involve me getting ***** by tolls on the way there. (YOU ****ERS NEED TO PAY YOUR TAXES >.< )

and some return directions. That'll help too. lol

Col Bol

Smash Champion
Yeah families can be pretty gay sometimes. It's why I can't go to iGT1... But it happens. Hope some sort of miracle happens so you guys can go :)

Linguini

Smash Master
**** how come I can't go to like anything in May?!!?

The only weekend in May I think I can go to anything is like the 12th...though nothing is going on then!!!

****!!!

Have fun at this dudes!!!

:colorful:

meh, **** happens in life besides smash and no one else cares on what date your next "video game tournament " is on, especially my parents lol, I get pwnt alot as you can tell, but im chill. lol

TheLaw

Smash Apprentice
**** how come I can't go to like anything in May?!!?

The only weekend in May I think I can go to anything is like the 12th...though nothing is going on then!!!

****!!!

Have fun at this dudes!!!

:colorful:
Don't let your mother hear you say this.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
yeah boi, WATO will be making their appearance as usual. also, everybody make an effort to go to iGt1!
on a side note, we had plenty of time at the end of the tourney to have made it a top 32 bracket. luckily i got out of brackets either way. but it was too close for comfort. top 32 would make me really comfortable about doing pools. also, i wouldnt mind being a pool leader again...peace

-hiroshi

Pritch

Smash Lord
Hey north florida. Guess what? When this rolls around, I'll be in panama city again. And I'm currently planning on going to this, assuming I don't get some kind of killer music gig that would prevent me from making the trip. Which means, get this, someone from the panhandle is already planning on driving to this. So if you guys get to PC and give me gas monies, I get you to gigs and you can actually go to a florida tournament for the first time in omgforever. Sound interesting?

Also, we gotta get up and smash. Lots. It's been about a year since I've had competitive opponents anywhere near where I lived, and my first tournament opponent is always my own rustiness. I wanna be on point when this rolls around.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
yes please top 32. top 16 is cool for the leet but us second players need to progress also. t hanks.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
yeah top 32 would def be better, we finished really early last time with top 16, maybe if we put top 32 it would only take an extra hour. top 2 seemed really harsh=too much pressure to win every match, top 4 will be way better since lost matches will not b as bad

RAM

Smash Lord
Sounds good Pritch, I'm always up for smash so whenever you feel like it just give me a call. only thing that would prevent us from coming to this is if the next round for the Southern Circuit's date is too close to this date. other then that I'm sure we would want to make it to this, especially since we missed the previous gigs.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well I'll definetly be going to this one. Hopefully I can make it out of pools this time. I was so close last time, but I was one win behind Dop and he ended up being the second guy. A 32 player bracket would be great because even If you fight some semi pro players in your pool you can still make it to the bracket, like me and Mr. Andreson would've. I'm willing to be the leader of my pool again if nessecary and I'll have a format planned in case no one else can do it. Hopfully The Law and I could have a match where neither of us suicides twice.

BTW Fenrir can I fight you in a few frendlies 'cause I need some serious Fox practice. I'm also hoping to get some matches with Dop because it's not often I get to fight a really good Peach player.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
BTW Fenrir can I fight you in a few frendlies 'cause I need some serious Fox practice.
psshtt....no. I hate playing friendlies...and I hate playing fox...and I hate this game...and I hate coming to tourneys...and I hate...

haha sure man. sure. just catch me at the tourney...I never seem to be able to play people I say I will. : /

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
I know that this was suppose to happen last gigs... but i don't think that ROFL vs LOL should happen till vZakat comes back from NC for the new school year... reason being is that he has arguably the best Roy in FL, second to Exarch's. So if you guys what ROFL to have any chance of winning, it should probably wait. That way all you guys get more training and the anticipation would make it all that much sweeter.

but then again... what do i know?

Dop

Smash Journeyman
let the record state i ended up being the first guy after ****** law. god what a nub *** falco...that owned me minutes later in tourney. and...yeah...i had 1 loss total.

also let the record state that i probably wont be here cause ill be down south =/

vZakat

Half Genie
I think you're underestimating our competition. If you played all the links and judged our skill to theirs, you'll come to the conclusion that we can't win without me. You can try if you want but, I think all our stocks will have been depleted with them having two links left.

vericz

Smash Champion
I think you're underestimating our competition. If you played all the links and judged our skill to theirs, you'll come to the conclusion that we can't win without me. You can try if you want but, I think all our stocks will have been depleted with them having to links left.
RoFL:laugh: (notice I didn't use LOL)
True, the links are a tough fight, I had the chance to get some matches with BO! and I play Zoro since he lives close, and they got me a few games. Guess we will have to wait. . .we need the whole group :lick:

Top Bottom