• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
Release dates: Japan - US
Wii-December 2, 2006-November 19, 2006
Xbox 360 -December 10, 2005 - November 22, 2005
Game Cube -September 14, 2001 - November 18, 2001
Halo 3 - September 25, 2007 - September 27, 2007
Super Smash Bros. Melee - November 21, 2001 - December 3, 2001

Console sold: until December 30, 2007
Japan - US - Total
Wii - 4,662,743 - 8,483,433 - 19,452,680
Xbox 360 - 543,141 10,341,100 - 16,020,441
Gamecube - 4,024,279 - 12,738,489 - 21,512,389

Game sold: - Japan - US - Total
Halo 3 - 94,616 - 1,707,454 - 4,622,646
Melee - 1,375,165 - 4,050,000 - 6,505,165
Halo 2 - 53,899 - 5,873,810 - 8,452,022

I checked those from vgchartz.com so I don't know if we could trust those numbers. As for Brawl... I think it will be balanced just like Melee. Halo 2/3 didn't sell that well in Japan compared to other regions. Just like many has said, Halo 3 was hyped so it sold pretty fast at the beginning. Brawl may outsell it at the end, hopefully.
Wow. That just changed my mind. I now think that Brawl may be able to beat Halo 3 in sales.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
VGChartz is worthless. The only good source is the data from the companies themselves, and you can easily find the sources for it on Wikipedia.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
The Halo series is one of the most popular game series of all time. Super Smash Bros. isn't one of the most popular game series of all time. It's as simple as that.

Doesn't matter how much the people of these forums love Smash Bros., it doesn't change the fact that while most of the online community are pissing themselves over Brawl (I think by now, Brawl has become one of the most discussed unreleased games in internet history), the general non-gaming public hasn't heard of it.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
The Halo series is one of the most popular game series of all time. Super Smash Bros. isn't one of the most popular game series of all time. It's as simple as that.

Doesn't matter how much the people of these forums love Smash Bros., it doesn't change the fact that while most of the online community are pissing themselves over Brawl (I think by now, Brawl has become one of the most discussed unreleased games in internet history), the general non-gaming public hasn't heard of it.
Thank you. Nobody else seems to be able to understand this.

ff7freddy

Smash Cadet
I believe that Brawl will be pretty close to Halo 3's sales in the beginning, because it isn't just Smash fanboys that this game is targeting. Many many people(excluding the underground fans) are also anticipating this game.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Brawl may turn out like Snakes on a Plane - a legion of creative internet fans, only six of whom will actually pay for the finished product.

Seems unlikely, granted.

I heard somewhere that more Wiis had been sold than 360s. Most Wii owners will want Smash Bros, so I suppose that it's possible for Brawl to overtake Halo 3, but like various people were saying, it will take time.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Brawl may turn out like Snakes on a Plane - a legion of creative internet fans, only six of whom will actually pay for the finished product.

Seems unlikely, granted.

I heard somewhere that more Wiis had been sold than 360s. Most Wii owners will want Smash Bros, so I suppose that it's possible for Brawl to overtake Halo 3, but like various people were saying, it will take time.
Yes, more Wiis have been sold than 360s, but bear in mind that the actualy GAMES of the systems sell much better on the 360.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
No, there have been more Xbox 360s sold than Wiis. Check it up on Wikipedia and the sourced links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Sales
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#System_sales

That shouldn't be surprising information either. The 360 was out for a year before the Wii, and it sold fantastically well.

I think what everyone is getting confused with is monthly sales. Since the Wii debuted up until the month Halo 3 was launched, the Wii has consistently dominating Xbox 360 and PS3 sales. However, the month Halo 3 was launched marked the first time the Wii lost the lead. I don't know exactly what the monthly sales are like now, but the fact remains that overall the Xbox 360 has sold more units than the Wii.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Well, Brawl is supposed to be Nintendo's trump card to regain the overall lead. Just like Halo 3, Brawl is doing a lot of advertising and building a lot of hype (come on, no other game has a daily update for the tidbits of the game) and is supposedly going to be huge once it's release.

In the states, Halo 3 outsells Brawl, but worldwide, Brawl might have a slight edge.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I don't understand why everyone thinks brawl is nintendo's big trump card.

The wii has yet to appeal to people as a gaming system in the same way the 360 has. It's shown a massive trend towards childish games and mini-games.

The idea that "Most" wii owners want smash: brawl is just as ignorant as saying that all 360 owners love Halo. Most wii owners in the demographic of 12-early 20s likely want smash brothers is a different statement entirely. Don't forget that the wii was not marketed to that age demographic, nor the gaming crowd, but as an "everyone" system. Grandma doesn't wanna wavedash.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
i think smash will win worldly because halo isnt nearly as big over in japan

i think brawl will outsell halo in america alone too, just because with the combination of the wii's hype and smash's, everyone will want it

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
i think smash will win worldly because halo isnt nearly as big over in japan
Halo 3 has sold over 8 million copies worldwide since it launched 3 months ago. Halo 3 outsold all but 5 of the top-selling video games of the past 7 years in 3 months.

The only thing that outsold Halo 3 so far are 3 Grand Theft Auto games, 2 Gran Turismo games, all of which had their sales as a result of being on the shelves for years, and Halo 3 has nearly outsold them 3 months

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
VGChartz is worthless. The only good source is the data from the companies themselves, and you can easily find the sources for it on Wikipedia.
You question VGchartz because you don't understand. Read their methodology page and everything will be clear.

The site owner doesn't just pull numbers out of his ***, he has real sources and his numbers are generally within 10% of the NPD group, which is the most trusted source in the industry.

The data from the companies themselves will almost always be skewed one way or another. What about those people who bought another 360 after the first one red-ringed?

To the person who said the XB360 sold more than the Wii, this is true for America, but not the world. The Wii surpassed the 360 worldwide in late August/Early September. So if you can please do your best to stymie ignorance on the internet, that would be great.

You can't find any of their sources on Wikipedia. Good try though ;-)

It seems that if popular opinion doesn't match your own, you tend to reject it. Just because you think that Brawl will be the best game of all time does not mean it will outsell Halo 3, or vice-versa.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
You question VGchartz because you don't understand. Read their methodology page and everything will be clear.

The site owner doesn't just pull numbers out of his ***, he has real sources and his numbers are generally within 10% of the NPD group, which is the most trusted source in the industry.

The data from the companies themselves will almost always be skewed one way or another. What about those people who bought another 360 after the first one red-ringed?

To the person who said the XB360 sold more than the Wii, this is true for America, but not the world. The Wii surpassed the 360 worldwide in late August/Early September. So if you can please do your best to stymie ignorance on the internet, that would be great.

You can't find any of their sources on Wikipedia. Good try though ;-)

It seems that if popular opinion doesn't match your own, you tend to reject it. Just because you think that Brawl will be the best game of all time does not mean it will outsell Halo 3, or vice-versa.
Wow.....

First of all, vgcharrtz is not accurate. They have Halo 3 selling 4.6 million at the end of the year. Microsoft Confirmed over a month ago that Halo 3 had sold over 5 million, so that is off by a lot. It's at about 7 or 8 million. He's off by nearly 100%.

Secondly, wikipedia DOES give sources. Have you ever wondered what those little numbers are next to a bit of info? Those are a links that bring you to the source of that information, so you can check up on it yourself.

Also, you don't even know how 360's work with red wring of death issues. MS has a continuos cycle of the same 360's being recycled. You send in your 360 to MS, which is covered by warranty by default for three years. When you send it in, you recieve a different 360 that has been competely fixed. Then another person sends theirs in, and gets yours after it is fixed. No one goes out and buys a new 360.

Please don't try to correct people and seem all-knowing when you are in fact, very wrong.

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
Wow.....

First of all, vgcharrtz is not accurate. They have Halo 3 selling 4.6 million at the end of the year. Microsoft Confirmed over a month ago that Halo 3 had sold over 5 million, so that is off by a lot. It's at about 7 or 8 million. He's off by nearly 100%.

Secondly, wikipedia DOES give sources. Have you ever wondered what those little numbers are next to a bit of info? Those are a links that bring you to the source of that information, so you can check up on it yourself.

Please don't try to correct people and seem all-knowing when you are in fact, very wrong.
Dude, you have no idea. Sold = shipped to retailers according to Microsoft

Sold = sold to consumers according to VGchartz. It is very possible and in fact more than likely that they have 400,000 unsold copies sitting on shelves. You just don't know how it works.

I forgive you.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Dude, you have no idea. Sold = shipped to retailers according to Microsoft

Sold = sold to consumers according to VGchartz. It is very possible and in fact more than likely that they have 400,000 unsold copies sitting on shelves. You just don't know how it works.

I forgive you.
You're only making yourself look like an ***. You act as if everyone here who is not a complete Nintendo fanboy is screwing up the facts and there is no need to talk down on anyone because they don't agree with your narrow-minded views.

There is a difference between units sold and units shipped. They report on units sold. You're just saying that MS is lying because they have a game that's sold more in 3 weeks than any non-bundled Wii game in over a year. "Oh noes, MS sold a game, so I'll say that they lye, because nothing can outsell a Wii game."

I've proved you wrong on all of your points, all of which you acted as if you were sure on and correcting people, when you were in fact wrong.

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
You're only making yourself look like an ***. You act as if everyone here who is not a complete Nintendo fanboy is screwing up the facts and there is no need to talk down on anyone because they don't agree with your narrow-minded views.

There is a difference between units sold and units shipped. They report on units sold. You're just saying that MS is lying because they have a game that's sold more in 3 weeks than any non-bundled Wii game in over a year. "Oh noes, MS sold a game, so I'll say that they lye, because nothing can outsell a Wii game."

I've proved you wrong on all of your points, all of which you acted as if you were sure on and correcting people, when you were in fact wrong.
What exactly did you prove again?

I didn't say anybody is "screwing up the facts" I simply tried to correct some apparently common misconceptions.

About Halo: I love Halo! I want it to do well, but my loyalty lies with the facts. If it sold 20 million units on launch day I'd be the first to congratulate it, and admit it was the fastest selling game of all time, but once again I guess my downfall is my commitment to the facts.

Microsoft themselves acknowledges that Sold = shipped to retailers, Sony is the same way.

There is no fanboyism here, although admittedly this is a site about Brawl, and is the reason why I'm here in the first place.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
mmmm well im not much informed in numbers , but we all know that halo was backed up ny MS with a very good marketing campaign...and halo´s fame as a "popular" game was top notch.

I dont think Brawl will outsell Halo... but heck.... the game will sell a lot...and when i mean a lot... is to be by far the best seller of thw wii console.... and will sell much... MUCH more than melee....

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Wow.....

Also, you don't even know how 360's work with red wring of death issues. MS has a continuos cycle of the same 360's being recycled. You send in your 360 to MS, which is covered by warranty by default for three years. When you send it in, you recieve a different 360 that has been competely fixed. Then another person sends theirs in, and gets yours after it is fixed. No one goes out and buys a new 360.

Microsoft confirmed that they shipped over 5 million to retailers, not sold to consumers. VGchartz gathers information from retailers that sell to consumers. That number will always be lower than what the publisher reports.

So I'm sorry sir, YOU are wrong.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
What exactly did you prove again?

I proved you wrong on what you said about Wikipedia, vgchartz being accuracte, and how how refurbished 360's work.

I didn't say anybody is "screwing up the facts" I simply tried to correct some apparently common misconceptions.

About Halo: I love Halo! I want it to do well, but my loyalty lies with the facts. If it sold 20 million units on launch day I'd be the first to congratulate it, and admit it was the fastest selling game of all time, but once again I guess my downfall is my commitment to the facts.

Microsoft themselves acknowledges that Sold = shipped to retailers, Sony is the same way.

So every gaming company except Nintendo lies about their numbers except Nintendo, right? Where is your proof of this?

There is no fanboyism here, although admittedly this is a site about Brawl, and is the reason why I'm here in the first place.

"Everyone lies except honest Nintendo" seems like a bit of fanboyism to me.

Responses in red.

DuoKaizane

Smash Cadet
Perhaps Brawl will outsell Halo over many months, but due to the lack of Wii's around, I highly doubt it will outsell Halo on opening day.

-DuoKaizane

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Perhaps Brawl will outsell Halo over many months, but due to the lack of Wii's around, I highly doubt it will outsell Halo on opening day.

-DuoKaizane
Umm there are more Wii's sold worldwide then there are Xbox360. The demand for Wii's is also epicly higher then for Xboxs.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Microsoft confirmed that they shipped over 5 million to retailers, not sold to consumers. VGchartz gathers information from retailers that sell to consumers. That number will always be lower than what the publisher reports.

So I'm sorry sir, YOU are wrong.
Jeff Bell's quote form December 10th.

"The reaction has been very positive. In fact, we saw incredible sales of Xbox 360 for the week of November 18, including Black Friday of more than 310,000 Xbox 360 in the U.S. alone. This is really strong momentum for us given that we're already in our third year on the market. We've also seen a strong response to both Halo 3 sales with more than 5 million, and Mass Effect which has sold more than a million copies in less than three weeks."
Sales, not shipments.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
I work at Gamestop and there is surprisingly low hype for Brawl. I'm just as shocked as you are. Sure, there are display copies that get taken to the register to buy, but after learning that it isn't out, they refuse to reserve a copy. Where is the passion? Where is the anticipation?

I don't think the first week sales will be anywhere near Halo's, but after a while, they will probably grow closer and closer.

DuoKaizane

Smash Cadet
Umm there are more Wii's sold worldwide then there are Xbox360. The demand for Wii's is also epicly higher then for Xboxs.
Is that so?
Wow, I didn't know that!
I haven't been able to find a Wii for several months of searching.

I DO believe Wii's are in greater demand around the world, which is why I say that Brawl may outsell Halo on the first day.

-DuoKaizane

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Yea, but just because he claims it doesn't mean its true. For all we know he could just be saying it so as to boost the need for Xbox's even more. It can't be a coincidence that a bunch of informational sites say that one thing, but Jeff Bell says something completely different.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I work at Gamestop and there is surprisingly low hype for Brawl. I'm just as shocked as you are. Sure, there are display copies that get taken to the register to buy, but after learning that it isn't out, they refuse to reserve a copy. Where is the passion? Where is the anticipation?

I don't think the first week sales will be anywhere near Halo's, but after a while, they will probably grow closer and closer.
My gamestop said they have "well over 100 preorders" for Brawl, so I guess there's a bit more hype for it here. Then again, I live in Chicago where there's a hell of a lot more people in a given area.

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
Responses in red.
Here we go.

You didn't prove anything about Wikipedia. When I talked about red rings, I said some people bought completely new systems instead of going through the refurbished program, especially before it was implemented.

I never said MS and Sony "lie", I said they have a different definition, which in fact they do. They ACKNOWLEDGE this. SOLD = SHIPPED TO RETAILERS! Thanks.

Once again, I never said they lie. They have a PR department for a reason, all three companies, and their job is to spin things their way.

DuoKaizane

Smash Cadet

I personally never reserve games, because I don't see the point in wasting 5$ to "assure" myself the game. I'm just planning to camp out and grab it, because I'm fairly sure there will be enough copies.

-DuoKaizane

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486

At my gamestop they said they have around 100 reservations for Brawl, it just really depends where you are.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Here we go.

You didn't prove anything about Wikipedia. When I talked about red rings, I said some people bought completely new systems instead of going through the refurbished program, especially before it was implemented.

I never said MS and Sony "lie", I said they have a different definition, which in fact they do. They ACKNOWLEDGE this. SOLD = SHIPPED TO RETAILERS! Thanks.

Once again, I never said they lie. They have a PR department for a reason, all three companies, and their job is to spin things their way.

Please stop saying "Thanks", "I forgive you", "'nuff said" , ect when you are not proving anything.

Yes I did prove you wrong about WIkipedia. You said they don't have sources and I proved that they did. If someone corrects you on an incorrect statement you have given, thats' called proving them wrong.

Well why is it that Microsoft and Sony have this definition of sold=shipped but your beloved Ninterndo doesn't? Also, please provide some proof where MS says that they say "sold=shipped".

Nothing's perfect, but all three companies don't have the disctinct and specific job to completely lie about their figures and spin everything their way.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Please stop saying "Thanks", "I forgive you", "'nuff said" , ect when you are not proving anything.

Yes I did prove you wrong about WIkipedia. You said they don't have sources and I proved that they did. If someone corrects you on an incorrect statement you have given, thats' called proving them wrong.

Well why is it that Microsoft and Sony have this definition of sold=shipped but your beloved Ninterndo doesn't? Also, please provide some proof where MS says that they say "sold=shipped".

Nothing's perfect, but all three companies don't have the disctinct and specific job to completely lie about their figures and spin everything their way.
Okay, if wikipedia is accurate. They why does Wii's wikipedia entry claim to have outsold Xbox360's months ago?

cdude1034

Smash Cadet

Show me where Microsoft says sold = sold to consumers, please.

Wikipedia doesn't have VGchartz sources :-/ I still fail to see where you "proved me wrong"

Yes, companies DO have the job of POSITIVE PR SPIN. Every major company IN THE WORLD does.

Microsoft definition of sold = shipped forthcoming.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I personally never reserve games, because I don't see the point in wasting 5$ to "assure" myself the game. I'm just planning to camp out and grab it, because I'm fairly sure there will be enough copies.

-DuoKaizane
You don't waste $5 for the game. That 5 bucks goes towards your final price of the game.

Top Bottom