• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zss mu question

NotSym

Smash Rookie
Any advice on the squirtle mu I find him too small to hit with shffl nair and hes too slippery as well

Foo

Smash Lord
First things first, forget about blaster in this matchup, it will be completely useless. Secondly, nair is no longer an option in neutral. Back air is your new best friend.

What I like to do is stay very mobile dash dancing, and if he comes to approach, space a back-air if it's a ground approach or up-air/nair him our of the air. Just watch out for bubble, you'll want to bait this out if you notice he uses to to counter your approach interception. If you approach him, it'll be with either downsmash, rar bair, or jump behind him and bair. If he sheilds you can ftilt his shield occasionally for a frame trap (should lead into a tech chase if hit.)

Unfortunately, you kinda have to play a slow methodical game against squirtle that winds up with you either chipping him down, or getting a hard read with dsmash or grab into a combo. Down-tilt out of dash is also an option, but dsmash is generally better imo.

Ledgegaurding squirtle isn't bad for ZSS. If you read his movement in the air, you can land a down-b dive kick on him and that's a stock. Otherwise, if you space d-smash perfectly you can out range his up-b and that's a stock. However, if he chooses to go slightly above ledge, you'll get hit. If you see him doing this, you can wavedash back and fsmash.

However, I haven't played against good squirtles, so I may be underestimating squirtles options.

Last edited:

NotSym

Smash Rookie
First things first, forget about blaster in this matchup, it will be completely useless. Secondly, nair is no longer an option in neutral. Back air is your new best friend.

What I like to do is stay very mobile dash dancing, and if he comes to approach, space a back-air if it's a ground approach or up-air/nair him our of the air. Just watch out for bubble, you'll want to bait this out if you notice he uses to to counter your approach interception. If you approach him, it'll be with either downsmash, rar bair, or jump behind him and bair. If he sheilds you can ftilt his shield occasionally for a frame trap (should lead into a tech chase if hit.)

Unfortunately, you kinda have to play a slow methodical game against squirtle that winds up with you either chipping him down, or getting a hard read with dsmash or grab into a combo. Down-tilt out of dash is also an option, but dsmash is generally better imo.

Ledgegaurding squirtle isn't bad for ZSS. If you read his movement in the air, you can land a down-b dive kick on him and that's a stock. Otherwise, if you space d-smash perfectly you can out range his up-b and that's a stock. However, if he chooses to go slightly above ledge, you'll get hit. If you see him doing this, you can wavedash back and fsmash.

However, I haven't played against good squirtles, so I may be underestimating squirtles options.
I find it hard to stay in neutral against squirtle especially at low percents where they approach really fast with withdrawl into cc dtilt and zss has really cc'able moves at low percents

Foo

Smash Lord
I find it hard to stay in neutral against squirtle especially at low percents where they approach really fast with withdrawl into cc dtilt and zss has really cc'able moves at low percents
That's why you have to space them. If you space back-air and retreat or land a downsmash, crouch canceling won't help them. It's not easy, but hey, it's what you can do.

Top Bottom