• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zoning and Comboing

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
So I've been playing a ton of Young Link lately, loving this guy. Such a refreshing change of pace from Marth. Anyway, Going from a character with no projectiles to a character with 3 is a little but intimidating simply because I don't really know how to zone properly with the projectiles. What I've basically been doing is using the different trajectories to try to make a wall, boomerang high or mid, bomb mid or low, and arrow mid or low. Is that what I want to be doing or does yl have better options.

Also, what am I looking for when I combo? Like...what are the best options for the different character weights to get those combos that lead them offstage. YL seems to be a pretty good edgeguarder so I'm just trying to get them offstage at this point instead of building up damage.

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
Well people play ylink quite differently. It depends on your play style really. You can use your boomerangs and your bombs how you want. I think its good advice to always have bombs in your hand though.

I personally don't use arrows very often but they do work if you can get them down. I play friendlies with a falco quite a bit and sometimes I just get too caught up in the battle and ditch my projectiles all together, and usually do fine(we often both kill each other at low %'s). As far as ledge guarding, ylink is quite good. A down smash near the edge at around 40% or higher will knock a falco in a difficult position to recover if you can edge guard well.

Good ways to land a down smash are two jabs to a dsmash, or a grab, throw down(if they are fast fallers) to a dsmash. I am a huge fan of nairs as well. If you can get a bomb off on them you can often get multiple nairs off by either tech chasing them on platforms or just with combos, bringing them to the edge, where you can ftilt them, fair them, nair them, dsmash them, anything to get them off.

Top Bottom