• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo's opinion on Bowser

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
ZeRo in his most recent video claimed that Bowser should be at the top of high tier, and eventually be top tier. What are your thoughts on the matter? Personally I think people are overhyping the character and aren't playing anti-grab/lame enough against him.

Video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eEj5vIvOOg

Last edited:

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
He's Zero. He was just talking about how lucario was top tier. He's said that roy was top tier and that he predicted that Shulk was going to become top tier. Zero is will put any hot character of the month in top tier.

I mean just logically where would Zero place Bowser on the tier list? Skipping top tier who's left? Mega Man? A character that almost won evo? Villager? Another character that almost won evo? Ryu? Really Bowser better than ryu? Toon Link? Marth? I mean he's not wrong that Bowser is good, but this game just has a lot of really really good characters so placing him in the top half I think is fair. Placing him in top 10% i think is suspect, even 25% is suspect considering the characters around that tier level.

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
He's Zero. He was just talking about how lucario was top tier. He's said that roy was top tier and that he predicted that Shulk was going to become top tier. Zero is will put any hot character of the month in top tier.

I mean just logically where would Zero place Bowser on the tier list? Skipping top tier who's left? Mega Man? A character that almost won evo? Villager? Another character that almost won evo? Ryu? Really Bowser better than ryu? Toon Link? Marth? I mean he's not wrong that Bowser is good, but this game just has a lot of really really good characters so placing him in the top half I think is fair. Placing him in top 10% i think is suspect, even 25% is suspect considering the characters around that tier level.
I never said I agree with ZeRo and I agree with your sentiment, he is a lot like M2K in that respect. I just wanted to see what other players had to say about his opinion

Last edited:

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Bowser's on a hype train right now. I really don't think Bowser has any business at "top of high tier." When Zero in a newer video said that he thought Shulk was also in high tier I kind of gave up of Zero opinions lol.

Ryng_tolu

Smash Rookie
In my opinion Bowser is super underrated. While i don't think he is the top tier, he surely doesn't deserve that 32° place.

1) I know this should not even be mentioned, but well, the grap and everything happen after that, before kill percent he make SO MUCH damage, in kill percent, well, up earial and here we go.

2) His Smashs attacks are really good. Expecially the up Smash, this is many times strong, fast, and safe to use.

3) I think most people underestimate the down B shield break, of course if you wanna do this kind of things you can't just spam down B like there is no tomorrow, you'll just keep in the mind of your opponent "oh, a down B, ok let's roll and punish him". You have to keep in the mind of your opponent the idea of use the shield, using more times the up B on the ground is a perfect way to do it, he has to shield for some seconds for not being hit by that, and then here you go, many times he realize that Bowser is using the down B instead the up B when is already too late. there are others options too, like using many times the down aerial/spike and then change it to a down B. Considering Bowser can kill you even with only 10-15% (maybe 20% if you use a heavy charter), a shield break during a battle with Bowser is almost a guaranteed stock.

4) I don't see how some people believe Bowser recovery is bad. I think is pretty good to do what it should do.

In general, Bowser is a hard charter to predict, he has of course some weakness but i still think it's a very great charter.

Last edited:

Broham

Smash Rookie
Bowser has very safe kill confirms but I feel like he will be in the top tier area NOT because of his general matchups but because of how he can play around the top tiers in a way that allows him to succeed against them. Some of the top tiers I am mentioning include: Shiek, Fox, Peach, Diddy, Mewtwo Zero Suit, Toon Link, Pikachu, Villager, Luigi, Peach, R.O.B, and Lucas.

At absolute BEST bowser has to make FOUR moves hit, with no rage,in order to kill most of those characters: D-tilt, U-Throw, F-air, B-air, F-smash
So between Bowser's ability to safely rack up damage either through N-Special, Tomahawk Side-B, or grab combos AND Bowsers ability to Safely poke shields with D-Tilt and Jab allow a quite fearsome match to be played in addition to one of the best out of shield options of any character...
we have a very likely contender for a top tier character.

"Bowser has bad recovery"
--So does Rosa-Luma, Diddy, and Marth/Lucina

"Bowser has bad landing options"
--So does Shiek, Mewtwo, (Debatably MetaKnight), Marth/Lucina, and Peach with the only exception being that Peach has a way to subvert her landing option weakness via smart Turnip plays

"Bowser is combo food"
--So is Fox, Cloud, and Ryu

"Bowser has all of those weaknesses combined though"
-- But his heavyweight status makes his combo food weakness a secret strength in the form of rage.

Bowser is indeed a very strong character whom has giant weakneses that stop him from being top 10.

I personally say he's number 13 out of 56 on my tier list.

Top Bottom