• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo? Why The Love/Hate Reputation?

Sorual

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sorual
3DS FC
3823-8735-8509
hi! i am Sorual. i am anything but well known in the smash community. however, i am a very passionate smasher (if you will) and am trying to steadily advance my skills so that i can preform well in tournaments. but enough about me. i was just wondering why people love or hate zero. it seems that there are people who love him and people who hate them. please excuse my lack of intellect in this area however i would like to know what the reason is behind his love/hate reputation. i am aware that he is currently the best smash 4 player and that he has a "bounty" on his head. i follow this news. however, i would like to know what others think of him (as long as it is civil, and an explanation is given as to why they think that) i have seen him get arrogant sometimes and salty sometimes. i also recall him apologizing for those actions soon after they were made. (i might be wrong tho) overall, i'm asking you. why do people love zero? and why do others hate him? i hope that this thread sparks only civil conversation rather than trolling or flame wars. i am merely a person who wishes to be better educated in these players. i mean no spite to anyone or for this topic to cause any spite. if this topic spawns only hate and rage than i regret making it. i hope for only the best. thank you. :)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Topic of interest probably best fits the Smash 4 forums since that's basically the game that ZeRo's known for right now, but I'm fine with asking here or there. More people and different opinions on separate portions of SWF. For the love ZeRo portion, there's no denying it, he's an amazing Smash player. While I'm someone that doesn't invest a lot of time into Smash 4 but into other competitive fighters, I can still see numerous smart decisions and spacing when he plays. He thinks through a lot of situations considering how consistent he's been in every tourney.

The hate? I can see things that would tend to make people not like him. One might be a type of jealousy with his success. Another could be the way he dresses. Someone having a certain style tend to make people use it as a sort of target. Maybe people also took his bad trash talk the wrong way on how the US needs to level up in this game, the characters he uses to win? It could be a variety of things.

Sorual

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sorual
3DS FC
3823-8735-8509
Topic of interest probably best fits the Smash 4 forums since that's basically the game that ZeRo's known for right now, but I'm fine with asking here or there. More people and different opinions on separate portions of SWF. For the love ZeRo portion, there's no denying it, he's an amazing Smash player. While I'm someone that doesn't invest a lot of time into Smash 4 but into other competitive fighters, I can still see numerous smart decisions and spacing when he plays. He thinks through a lot of situations considering how consistent he's been in every tourney.

The hate? I can see things that would tend to make people not like him. One might be a type of jealousy with his success. Another could be the way he dresses. Someone having a certain style tend to make people use it as a sort of target. Maybe people also took his bad trash talk the wrong way on how the US needs to level up in this game, the characters he uses to win? It could be a variety of things.
Ok. Thx. :) also, I see your a mod. If possible, would it be ok if you were to move this topic the appropriate category? (You said smash 4?)

xCerealSoup

Smash Cadet
NNID
OcarinaHeart
Love bc of his skill, domination in the meta, etc

Hate bc he uses top tiers, stalled out in that E3 invitational, jealousy, etc

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People like him because he wins a lot, he is an active member of the community (not just in tournaments, but he has an active YouTube channel too), and doesn't convey the usual tryhard/stuck-up image the competitive community is usually known for (since he seems to just like Smash 4 as even a casual game, since he does more silly videos sometimes too).

People hate him because of the E3 stalling, for "only playing top tiers", for seemingly asking for other characters to be nerfed only as soon as Diddy is nerfed, for not explaining why or what should be nerfed about these characters (adding credence to the assertion that it may be a kneejerk reaction to his main being nerfed and not a well thought out request), for his dress sense and being overweight ("Scarflard" is a common insult I see people call him).

It's up to you want you do or don't agree with, I guess.

D

Deleted member 269706

A lot of people don't like him because he talks a lot of ****, yet only seems to use the best of the best characters. (Diddy pre-nerf, currently Shiek). I mean this guy has the potential to improve the meta for so many characters, but he sticks with a character with perfect frame data. On top of everything else, he has a hard time losing. ZeRo has called out the community (namely Captain Falcon players), but Americans in general as well. And people just don't like the fact that he always wins. Kind of nice to see some variation, you know?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A lot of people don't like him because he talks a lot of ****, yet only seems to use the best of the best characters. (Diddy pre-nerf, currently Shiek). I mean this guy has the potential to improve the meta for so many characters, but he sticks with a character with perfect frame data. On top of everything else, he has a hard time losing. ZeRo has called out the community (namely Captain Falcon players), but Americans in general as well. And people just don't like the fact that he always wins. Kind of nice to see some variation, you know?
That first match had to have burned, lol. Awesome Sonic combo by Whizzy though, Sonic is so fun in PM.

On topic though, at the end of the day, I feel people put competitive players on too high a pedestal a lot of the time. At the end of the day, they are human beings, and have flaws. ZeRo is flawed IMO, he says and does a lot of things he shouldn't, but he is also an active member of the community that has contributed some good things. I just think people need to lower their expectations regarding him, and shouldn't expect him to be so perfect.

Elfamis

Smash Rookie
NNID
elfamis
It's easy. People with reputation tend to be liked/hated. You do not need to do anything.

I personally do not care. He uses top tiers? Others too but do not win

Top Bottom