• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zenith 2014 SSB64 Ruleset Changes

Change Zenith Ruleset? (Please pick no more than 2 options)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I talked with Nintendude and the Zenith 2014 ruleset is still tentative, and is open to changes based on community feedback.

If you strongly prefer one option, vote for just that option.
If you strongly dislike one option, vote for the other 2 options.
Voting for all 3 is wasting your vote.

Don't vote if you are not registered. Once the poll is closed I'll determine the real totals by cross referencing with the actual registration list.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
voted for keeping it as is. definitely don't want to do 4 stocks, neutral on dreamland only - if it happens, it happens; i just don't want the players to not have the other two stage options if it's what they prefer.

we're probably going to see gentleman's every which way, though.

Annex

Smash Ace
I'm not even going to Zenith but these voting options are lol.
Shouldn't it just be
4 stocks
5 stocks
DL only
DL Congo Peach
DL Congo Peach Hyrule

Sedda

Smash Champion
^I'm gonna have to agree. All of the options you gave are options where you don't lose. If you get it down to 4 stocks with the Apex ruleset this time, the next poll is just going to be an option between that and DL only.

edit- Just read the part that says that you can pick two options, so yeah, you can't lose on this poll. The ruleset is just going to become more and more restrictive.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
cutting it to four won't stop his intense camping, nor even shorten it, really. i can picture six minute stocks because of heavy reluctance to lose any. approaching would be even less desirable then

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
if u play 4 $, u can't ***** about rules once tournament started

do what you can to win

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
cutting it to four won't stop his intense camping, nor even shorten it, really. i can picture six minute stocks because of heavy reluctance to lose any. approaching would be even less desirable then
The hypothesis that less stocks will make matches take longer because players will camp more has little to no evidence and logic at this point. It's just absurd. A 5 stock match will eventually be a 4 stock match so 4 stock matches are literally always going to be shorter.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i'd like to take a measurement and see if japanese matches are, on average, longer with their 4 stock format. wasn't sin/jousuke like 6min each? and ruoka/jousuke also that long?
of course, everything but gf would be measured in single games. might throw things off a bit.

in any case, do people honestly believe that 4 stocks is significantly better than 5? that it offers better tournament matches, more accurate representations of players' skills, or drastically cuts down on set times to avoid running late at venues? or that lowering the stock count will help cure the refusal-to-approach playstyle that has been developing recently?

Sedda

Smash Champion
I don't see how 4 stocks would prevent Wizzrobe from camping. Nothing is going to change, except everybody will have a little more room for error and adjustment with 5 stocks. imo it would make sets more enjoyable at least for me since I have a bunch to learn if i have more time to play within every game

btw if wizzrobe reads this, nothing against you dude. I'm not the one who minds other people camping

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
If
i
in any case, do people honestly believe that 4 stocks is significantly better than 5? that it offers better tournament matches, more accurate representations of players' skills, or drastically cuts down on set times to avoid running late at venues? or that lowering the stock count will help cure the refusal-to-approach playstyle that has been developing recently?
Lets just play with 7 stocks, hyrule, with items

but in all seriousness

> lowering the stock count will help cure the refusal-to-approach playstyle that has been developing recently?

ok so you recognize there is a refusal to approach

> drastically cuts down on set times to avoid running late at venues

there you go.

It's not eliminating 1 out of 5 stocks. It's eliminating 2 out of 10. and sometimes 3 out of 15.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Timer would do much more to cut time-consuming stalemates such as Firo vs Wizzrobe than 4 stocks would.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i do not believe the 5v4 stock difference is what makes events run late. that's silly.

it's all about the downtime in between matches and start time, and whether or not people are playing other events. can't really compare 3/15 stocks to someone having to play a whole other game in a bo3, or someone going to get dinner for a 45mins. just isn't right, imo.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
i'd like to take a measurement and see if japanese matches are, on average, longer with their 4 stock format. wasn't sin/jousuke like 6min each? and ruoka/jousuke also that long?
of course, everything but gf would be measured in single games. might throw things off a bit.
http://smashboards.com/threads/do-you-want-apex-to-be-5-or-4-stocks.340113/page-2#post-15804482

stop with the silly arguments, hyrule was banned because it was ****, and 4 stocks isn't gonna do anything, and no, sheer is wrong and japanese matches don't take 8 minutes

unless we see some data regarding what exactly takes time in a tournament, assuming it's the ingame time is dumb

someone should pull a frederick taylor and measure downtime, how fast the players walk to their set up, how long they take with chit-chat, how long they take to choose their character and press start on a stage

Last edited:

firo

Smash Ace
Can we institute a timer-by-request option where a player can request an 8-min timer if they have a gameshark? I don't see why this shouldn't be an option, now that we have the codes.

Shears

Smash Master
Can we institute a timer-by-request option where a player can request an 8-min timer if they have a gameshark? I don't see why this shouldn't be an option, now that we have the codes.
I've been an advocate of this for a while but people don't seem to like reasonable solutions to problems, see @ mixa mixa Sarah Jessica Parker quote.

The problem is no one understands what "timer-by-request" means. They just read the word timer and lose their minds because they're impulsive and irrational. Its the same reason why Kirby has votes in the least deserving character thread. They don't actually think things through.

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
They just read the word timer and lose their minds
lmao

for reference: banze does timer-by-request, except it's not a code, but instead another played plugged in who'll press start once the time is up

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
How about this:

5 stocks for every game not involving a Kirby
4 stocks for every game involving a Kirby

Kirby is the only campy character in the game tbh as well his stupid hitboxes prevent people from rushing.

(Honestly, not :troll: ing)

Last edited:
Top Bottom