• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's up smash in turbo mode

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
first look at the ending to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNcZhIrZ1Y
I thought it was going to be any attack can cancel into any other attack, but she is using up smash over and over again. Is there any way to change this (like in turbo mode, she can't use that attack over and over), or will she (or her upsmash) be banned in turbo tournaments? I know the priority is to balance out the normal project M matches, so changing her moveset to balance turbo mode isn't an option, but if there is anyway to tweak up turbo mode to prevent this, that would be great.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
AFAIK you can only cancel the same move into itself if it's on wifi. (Which can be done by turning the item on. :p ) Drsusredfish made a video showing multiple Lighning kicks hitting. It was LOL.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
But this battle was clearly not on wifi. I even tested it out myself. You can spam her up smash repeatedly. I was just wondering if PMBR might fix this.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
In brawl you could not do up or down smash if you were held up or down on the toggle stick and pressed the cstick in that direction. The way we fixed this ended up allowing up and down smash to be repeated in turbo

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
ok, thanks. I am guessing/hoping that zelda (her upsmash infinite) might be banned in turbo tournaments. It is not right for someone to win a tourney that way. That attack is one of the safest options I've seen. It is basically an "I win button". I know that ice climbers had this in Vbrawl and SSBM, but they had to be vulnerable to different attacks, and their attacks require some sort of technical skill. Zelda could just use neutral B and the attack leads directly to upsmash. Maybe I shouldn't look too far into this, because if this gets fixed and then other attacks like this are discovered, then the turbo mode will probably only get in the way of development. If I am playing with friends, I will make this a house rule because turbo mode is still fun otherwise.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Moot argument imo. I don't think banning infinites in a turbo tourney makes any sense. The very nature of being able to on-hit cancel anything means that you're probably going to get 0-deathed anyway in a tournament setting. See: UMvC3.

You really can't have a feature like Turbo Mode and then complain that it's faceroll easy. lol

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Moot argument imo. I don't think banning infinites in a turbo tourney makes any sense. The very nature of being able to on-hit cancel anything means that you're probably going to get 0-deathed anyway in a tournament setting. See: UMvC3.

You really can't have a feature like Turbo Mode and then complain that it's faceroll easy. lol
This. I don't even know who would use turbo mode for tournaments unless they want the matches to be instant lopsided.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
This. I don't even know who would use turbo mode for tournaments unless they want the matches to be instant lopsided.
I am fine with that, I am aware that the game can be easy to kill opponents. I am not expecting it to be competitive, but Zelda can just use b, whose weakness is the end lag, and it is unsafe to shield, so the opponent has to take it. From there, she can combo into upsmash, and then keep using it. I was just wondering if there was any way it could be changed. PMBR initially said that you could cancel any attack into any other attack, but usmash with zelda is infinite. I will just not use her then. It isn't a big deal, but just something that would be nice to let PMBR be aware of.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I am fine with that, I am aware that the game can be easy to kill opponents. I am not expecting it to be competitive, but Zelda can just use b, whose weakness is the end lag, and it is unsafe to shield, so the opponent has to take it. From there, she can combo into upsmash, and then keep using it. I was just wondering if there was any way it could be changed. PMBR initially said that you could cancel any attack into any other attack, but usmash with zelda is infinite. I will just not use her then. It isn't a big deal, but just something that would be nice to let PMBR be aware of.
Eh yeah. Given Zelda's. . . Unique. . . Properties. . . It'd be hard to change her around. Now that I think about it, the mode is pretty much there for Zelda. It's kind of like "Hey Zelda, we're sorry you were originally made to suck at being offensive and we're sorry for not making you as offensively-useful and fluid as Shiek because then what's the point. SO! Here is your very own mode that you can be offensive in and not suck or be helplessly murdered. :D"

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Eh yeah. Given Zelda's. . . Unique. . . Properties. . . It'd be hard to change her around. Now that I think about it, the mode is pretty much there for Zelda. It's kind of like "Hey Zelda, we're sorry you were originally made to suck at being offensive and we're sorry for not making you as offensively-useful and fluid as Shiek because then what's the point. SO! Here is your very own mode that you can be offensive in and not suck or be helplessly murdered. :D"
That's true. I just hope her infinite doesn't become a trend.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I would say if you're going to have a house rule or if you really want to have a turbo mode tournament, ban same-move infinites. I saw a Toon Link do a repeated UpB infinited. The commentator may have been saying it can be teched or DIed out of, I don't remember. But the point is, other characters may have similar, lame options.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I would say if you're going to have a house rule or if you really want to have a turbo mode tournament, ban same-move infinites. I saw a Toon Link do a repeated UpB infinited. The commentator may have been saying it can be teched or DIed out of, I don't remember. But the point is, other characters may have similar, lame options.
yeah, I kind of figured that. I think I was just dissapointed watching the match. It was so good up untill that moment. I just wished that they finished the fight without samus's up smash. If there is a way to get out of it, I am fine with that.

Top Bottom