• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda vs Yoshi, Samus

brent2711

Smash Rookie
I'm a Zelda/Marth player who mains Zelda but I have a feel for Marth, so he's my backup character. I play with my friends a lot, and I'm able to win most of my time. Two of my friends then picked up Yoshi and Samus as their respective mains and started putting up a good fight with them. We played more and then they just started beating me outright. They've taken on the styles of good players (one of them watched a lot of Samus while I think the Yoshi just read the boards and watched aMSa play Melee). We money match Best of 5s a lot and when I lose a set, I throw some johns out and just switch to Marth and win.

This is no longer about money, but about pride. I've observed that when I get throws on them, it's the stock, but the damned characters are so hard to get on with Zelda. I can't just space with Din's because they can hit me with projectiles, so I setup a couple of Din's to cover and then I approach. When I teledash in, the moment of truth arrives and we see if I get the grab or not.

I need some help on what my gameplan should be against them, so any would be much appreciated.

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
From fighting both these characters...yoshi gets owned by a patient Zelda, everytime

Geth Drips

Smash Rookie
As far as Samus goes, I feel like she can out-camp Zelda, so I tend to rush down more than I normally would. Dont rely on Nayru to reflect projectiles, its too slow in most cases so practice powershielding! Other than that, make sure your spot-dodges are on point so you can punish her tether grab and of course learn to DI her throws. Watch out for ice attacks, imo theyre super good against Zelda and floaties in general. And dont be too predictable with your teledashes, Samus can punish them quite easily.
Disclaimer: Im not the most knowledgeable person who could answer this so keep doing your research :) but my brother plays a lot of Samus so I sorta have some experience in the MU, figured I'd share what I can. Hope it helps!

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
From fighting both these characters...yoshi gets owned by a patient Zelda, everytime
I'm a Yoshi main, and I get serious trouble with Zelda. SERIOUS TROUBLE. Perhaps Yoshi's worst MU IMO. Exactly what about Yoshi is throwing you off? I'd be more then glad to help. :)

brent2711

Smash Rookie
I've gotten a lot better at the matchup since then, but one of the things that still gets me now is that he sometimes manages to get me when I'm trying to tech or getup. I have no idea what Yoshi has to do that or how he does it, so some help would be really great. :)

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten a lot better at the matchup since then, but one of the things that still gets me now is that he sometimes manages to get me when I'm trying to tech or getup. I have no idea what Yoshi has to do that or how he does it, so some help would be really great. :)
More likely then not, he's reading your get up. Try to vary it up, be less predictable.

Top Bottom