• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda vs Snake (matchup strategies)

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
I used to main Snake, so I don't know about sure stratagies but I know what was really annoying. A good Snake controls a fight by setting up crap everywhere then just letting people run into it. These are just some general things that take the power away from Snake:

-A good Snake will use quite a few grenades to keep you on your toes. Look at it this way, what he's really doing is giving you ammo to throw at him. Practice catching items and returning fire at the very least to keep him on his toes about it. If you do it enough, he might just stop using them altogether, which is great because it take stress off you and is a vital part of a Snake game.

-In the instance that Snake uses a nikita, those suckers can't be destroyed of course, but attacks deflect them right? A quick Din's can knock it out of the way, and if you begin to close the space right after that then they will be forced to abandon hope of hitting you with it. Useful for getting back onstage.

-Abuse your Din's and Dsmash/Nayru's. Snake's projectiles are, for the most part, slow. Scary, but slow. He'll have to use grenades for along distance fight, and if you stop those and press in on him with Dins then you can force him in close, where you can abuse your quicker attacks like the down smash and Nayru's love... let alone dash attacks and and your other smahes to mix it up every now and then.

So, that's my two cents. I don't know how much of it will actually work, but I know I like fighting Snake up close and I know that, as Snake, I don't like having my weapons used against me.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Snake is a very tall person, so I would suggest incorporating a u-air fastfall down onto him.
It will KO around 110 if he's standing on the ground

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
See this vid for everything not to do when fighting Snake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyiqZURE0g0

This Zelda allowed Snake's weaponry to get to him - he was manipulated, and even ran into the mines and 'nades without cause.

Aside from the technical noobery of dodging for transportation and not using any tilts, this Zelda essentially had the wrong idea about his advantages. Zelda is better close to Snake than far. Din's can be dodged, and generally countered with overwhelming ordnance. Yet, Snake is limited to Jab and tilts up close. Due to Zelda's slight hitbox disjunction, sometimes you can avoid grenade defense (what're they calling it?).
I think all you have to watch out for is mortar slide. Keep a cool head - don't Nayru's, Dsmash, and dodge just because he's there. Walk sometimes (unlike this guy).

If you can put Snake in the air, I believe he becomes your plaything until he can touch ground again.

Remember Nair in a scuffle. The times to use d-tilt should scream at you from this vid.

Particular notes: Use A to deflect Nikita. And I don't see a use for f-tilt at all - there's just the risk he'll tilt you first, or crouch; crouch kick can trip. Only thing is the reward of sending Snake up... but I'd play it safe, personally. Throw in A, if I see an opportunity.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i somewhat disagree i feel that fighting snake up close is not a great idea zelda is light and his tilts are stong. I am not saying to never go up close but a good mixture of long distance and close range is the way to go. Naryu's reflects his grenades as well as his missile so if you stay back and make this snake you are fighting know that he needs to get close to you you can expect him to try to get close with most likley a mortor slide knowing this you can prepare and punish with f-smash, tilts and a good roll can be helpful. The real place were zelda shines against snake is when you get him off the stage every knows i hope that if you grab snake out of his up B and then let him fall off the stage without throwing him he can't up B again. If you are lucky you will get to do this once in your match but if you can't thats ok since then the snake has to go above you torecover were then you just up air him or he will be to the side of you were you can try to bair or fair or just get close to him and up smash. Also dont forget to din's fire him when he is off the stage to build damage

This is how i fight the snakes i go up against and i have not lost once.

Also i co-main zelda i am not just some random diddy main saying things he does not know about. this is my thoughts on how to fight snake but i am sure the other ways written on this thread work as well for i feel zelda has the advantage against snake and she might be one of snakes hardest fights.

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
hahaha wow PK-ow!...that was pretty harsh...hahaha

admittedly i did let myself get manipulated a lot in that match...but i feel overall it was a pretty even match.

but regardless...i'd agree with NAGACE and say that fighting snake up close is not always a good idea...his jab and his tilts are fast and strong and send Zelda flying...i have a friend who likes to roll behind you a lot and use his jab...and i was able to succesfully counter this with Nayru's...so in that case I'd say it was pretty reliable...

I definitely have to use my tilts against him more...and in general...but i guess i just let myself get manipulated a lot...and didn't have much opportunity to do much else other than harass with Dyn's...

So yea...gotta work on fighting Snake...

shal

Smash Apprentice
omg yeah quit life, nah dont worrie i found killing snake very easy but you need to do alot.

stay far away and camp cause snake's love to camp but they throw grenades and after that they go for there dash, to stop that just use ur up a and it could cancel it and repeat it once again, but most of the time dont get close, you could also switch to sheik in tough situation's. I normally use sheik when im one stock ahead so i can do lots to snake untill he kill's or even not. then go for the kick but yeah you would have to spam your dense fire. When hes off the stage doing his up b use dense fire and try to make him hit the stage, performing a spike.

yonyue

Smash Rookie
"technical noobery" is a bit harsh.

this Zelda wasn't THAT bad against snake, all things considering. Certainly not strategized specifically against Snake, but not bad in terms of overall Zelda comfortability and feel.

xNinjaOfChaosx

Smash Rookie
My friend uses Snake a lot, and I find the best strategy is to dodge and retaliate. I generally see Snake's doing their dash attack frequently (although that could be because my friend loves using Snakedashing), and it's a rather easy to dodge attack, and Zelda can punish Snake rather easily after she dodges (of course you should judge distance for which attack to use).

Try to make use of Din's Fire to explode Snake's DSmash, stop his control of his SideB, and to stop/explode his grenades. It also works as a mindgame as the Snake player will try to dodge the Din's Fire itself, but you can use it to explode the mine or grenade and the Snake ends up getting hit by that instead.

Iris

Smash Ace
I agree with using Din's to get rid of grenades and mines. Also, don't be afraid to dair through his cypher. It's fairly easy to land and near impossible to recover from for Snake.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Your main focus is to attack directly & dodge Snake's projectiles/prevent him from using them.

Do NOT spam Din's when both opponents are grounded, this leaves Snake open to throw any bombs/projectiles to throw you off. Take note, spamming Din's ALSO lets Snake to counter with grenades.

You mainly want to Air Dodge right AT snake, land behind him & strike with Nayru's.
While he's still recovering from the KB of Nayrus, that's your chance to strike with a Smash or sweet spot with F/B air. However, you want to use this technique surprisingly, so don't spam this either. Use this when you're 100% sure that Nayru's WILL hit. If Snake uses shield, or doges, you're WIDE open to be OHKOed.

If Nayru's hit's him off stage, you can go ahead & try to spike him with D-air, but it's risky.

The only time you should spam Din's is when Snake is vulnerably high up in the air, usually close to the KO edge.(off screen).

Don't always go close though, you can attack with Din's range, but use it wisely... Like I said, Snake can throw projectiles.

If Snake uses one of his mines, destroy them ASAP with Din's.
If there's too many planted, you're screwed.

Longstoryshort; Dodge. Play mindgames. Stop projectiles. Juggle with Din's only if Snake's in the air.

xNinjaOfChaosx

Smash Rookie
I'd have to disagree with you on his projectiles. His SideB goes in a steep upwards angle if you hit him with Din's Fire while he's controlling it, so unless you were in the air, his nikita missile won't ever hit you.

For his grenades, there is quite a bit of time before the grenades explode. These are the situations I've experienced:
1) He has his grenade out prior to Din's Fire. He throws it as you use the move. With proper timing you can hit the grenade before it explode in your face, and Snake is not likely to approach while you're exploding the Din's relatively close to you.
2) He pulls out a grenade after you Din's. You can pull off the Din's before he can throw it, so he must resort to either shielding (and might have to continue shielding to protect himself from his own grenade), which leaves him vulnerable to a timely shield grab. If he does have time to throw it, you should have plenty of time to shield against the grenade.
3) The grenade is thrown right as you start Din's Fire. Depending on spacing, it's possible to hit both him and the grenade with Din's. However, with bad spacing, you could end up being hit by the grenade explosion due to lag and he has time to shield your Din's.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'd have to disagree with you on his projectiles. His SideB goes in a steep upwards angle if you hit him with Din's Fire while he's controlling it, so unless you were in the air, his nikita missile won't ever hit you.

For his grenades, there is quite a bit of time before the grenades explode. These are the situations I've experienced:
1) He has his grenade out prior to Din's Fire. He throws it as you use the move. With proper timing you can hit the grenade before it explode in your face, and Snake is not likely to approach while you're exploding the Din's relatively close to you.
2) He pulls out a grenade after you Din's. You can pull off the Din's before he can throw it, so he must resort to either shielding (and might have to continue shielding to protect himself from his own grenade), which leaves him vulnerable to a timely shield grab. If he does have time to throw it, you should have plenty of time to shield against the grenade.
3) The grenade is thrown right as you start Din's Fire. Depending on spacing, it's possible to hit both him and the grenade with Din's. However, with bad spacing, you could end up being hit by the grenade explosion due to lag and he has time to shield your Din's.
I'll have to agree on your 3 points. Well thought out.

I personally feel using Din's close range against Snake isn't that useful at all.

In my experience, using Din's at it's max range is worthy when Snake is in the air.

Top Bottom