• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Stage Discussion

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
What stages do you guys like to face, especially against certain characters?

For one thing, I tend to like to bring opponents to PS2,
But I do like to bring Sword Characters to FD, so I can bounce them around a bit more with Din's, and use the air to my advantage.

Geth Drips

Smash Rookie
My favorite Zelda stages are PS2, Green Hill and Battlefield. When going against a Pit, I like to go Yoshis Story. I tend to do ok there against him, but I'm not really sure why. I really dont like going to FoD, especially against Link and Snake. Warioware is hit or miss, same with Yoshis Island.

Geth Drips

Smash Rookie
I often find myself allowing Link to camp under the bottom platforms and projectile spam me pretty badly on Battlefield now that you mention it.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I don't know; my group only picks stages when we're doing crew battles, so I rarely ever select a stage when I play.
I know that Final Destination and Smashville are good against the Space Animals; platforms interrupt combos and prevent chain U-throws.
Also, Din's fire is easier to place when you don't have to weave it between platforms.

I'm entering a tournament this weekend, and I imagine that I'll encounter a few unfamiliar matchups, so I'd be interested in learning which stages generally work best for Zelda.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Dreamland is her BEST stage. No question in my mind.
Why do you think this?
The high ceiling and Zelda's good recovery options allow her to survive here quite well.
She can use Din's to edge guard and rack up damage on the sides, and the kicks are still lethal off the sides.

Is that your reasoning?

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Why do you think this?
The high ceiling and Zelda's good recovery options allow her to survive here quite well.
She can use Din's to edge guard and rack up damage on the sides, and the kicks are still lethal off the sides.

Is that your reasoning?
Yep. You hit the nail right on the head!

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Personal fan of FD, because it's like a completely open sandbox for me to place my Din's Fires where I want. Have a knack for getting them where I want. PS2 though is definitely a good choice as well for the same reason, just minor platform interrupting. If I'm fighting a ranged opened though, I'll go a close proximity though like YS or WarioWare. I hate Green Hill Zone though, but that's more personal reasoning.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Bring Fox to small stages. Yoshis Story (the melee one) is an excellent one to bring. Fox will almost always charge in. Keep up Din's fire pressure, and as soon as he's hit (not hard, but just hard enough to stun him) up smash combo until he's thrown high enough in the air, and follow up with up-air. It's a quick 70%, and the fox will be caught off guard. I then follow up with more Din's. It turns into clockwork.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Despite the low ceilings, I really like Skyloft and PS1 as counter picks. There are a few places on Skyloft where you can actually hide max level Din's, and the platforms are a nice height for teledash chasing. You have plenty of room to catch your breath and wear out invincibility when stocks refresh. If you get used to playing here you also have the advantage over people who just don't like the stage haha.

I like the dynamics of PS1 and how the stage transformations affect Din placements. If you put Din's in a spot where a platform is about to rise then your Din's will rise with the new stage. If you pay attention to what the next stage will be you can have multiple Din traps moving at once! PS1 also gives you the opportunity to go full camp to reset the pace of the match. There are also a lot of fun places to put Din's since there are so many different platforms.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Despite the low ceilings, I really like Skyloft and PS1 as counter picks. There are a few places on Skyloft where you can actually hide max level Din's, and the platforms are a nice height for teledash chasing. You have plenty of room to catch your breath and wear out invincibility when stocks refresh. If you get used to playing here you also have the advantage over people who just don't like the stage haha.

I like the dynamics of PS1 and how the stage transformations affect Din placements. If you put Din's in a spot where a platform is about to rise then your Din's will rise with the new stage. If you pay attention to what the next stage will be you can have multiple Din traps moving at once! PS1 also gives you the opportunity to go full camp to reset the pace of the match. There are also a lot of fun places to put Din's since there are so many different platforms.
just be wary-- both stages are now banned in the East Coast in most places

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
both stages are now banned in the East Coast in most places
Seriously? Sheesh, what a snore fest. I guess the East can't handle slants. Well, I also like Fountain of Dreams and Skyworld. It's really easy to teleport under Skyworld consistently, which makes it awesome for teams. It's pretty easy to hide Din's in the clouds there too. There's lots of open room for chain grabs, and the right and left platforms are a good height for tech chase lightning heels. Also that ceiling.

I like FoD for some of the same reasons I like PS1. Moving/disappearing platforms give more chain grab opportunities and mobile Din placements. I really like taking Falco's here since it screws up their lasers, disrupts their pillaring, and gives me chain grab openings. Also, up smash and up tilt below a platform that's descending are so safe.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Warioware is now one of my new favorites. Teledash heaven.
Personally, I hate PS2. The ceiling is too low, and I die easily.
Smashville is just a wonderful stage, so I always enjoy that one, especially against spacies.
I'm learning to enjoy Skyloft. You can play pretty campy, which is always a nice option if you can't figure out how to approach.
Battlefield has everything the perfect height for mine formations

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Warioware is now one of my new favorites. Teledash heaven.
Personally, I hate PS2. The ceiling is too low, and I die easily.

Not sure how you can like Warioware and hate PS2 for it's ceiling since WW's is even lower. Zelda dies much faster off the top (just watched Zhime's stream last night where Frozen's Mewtwo could up throw kill at 80% on the primary stage and 70-60% on the varying platforms) so you have to worry about characters who like koing upwards. Need to test Fox's up air and up smash. I do agree that the platforms on WW are awesome for teledashing, and the walls are so close for early kick kos. Zelda just becomes even more of a glass cannon.

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Not sure how you can like Warioware and hate PS2 for it's ceiling since WW's is even lower. Zelda dies much faster off the top (just watched Zhime's stream last night where Frozen's Mewtwo could up throw kill at 80% on the primary stage and 70-60% on the varying platforms) so you have to worry about characters who like koing upwards. Need to test Fox's up air and up smash. I do agree that the platforms on WW are awesome for teledashing, and the walls are so close for early kick kos. Zelda just becomes even more of a glass cannon.
I don't see your dislike for WW. It's a good stage, but Zelda is good on every stage MU dependent, so you must have a hard-hitter metagame.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Warioware does have a low ceiling, but it has other things that make it good (teledashing and small sides, like you said). PS2 doesn't really have anything else going for it. I think you're right when you say that Zelda is even more of a glass cannon on WW, but I think it works in her favor in most cases on WW.
EDIT: jtm says it really well in this post: http://smashboards.com/threads/stage-counterpick-chart.353842/#post-16681404

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
These are some ko percents for back air critical sweet spot vs _____ standing at the center of WW. These are all characters who want to ko Zelda upwards.
vs Fox: 75%-77%
vs Mewtwo: 72%-75%
vs Pit: 68%-70%
vs Snake: 76%
vs Lucas: 65%-68%

These are some ko percents for _____ against Zelda standing at the center of WW.
Fox Up-Smash: 65%-67%
Fox Up-Air: 67%-68% (that's falling up-air, not even factoring platforms or up throw up air)
Mewtwo Up-Throw: Technically 84%-86%, but if you factor in pummels, you can go as early as 75%-78%
Pit Up-Smash: 85%-88%
Pit Up-B: 80%-81% (tested from lowest platform for shortest height you'll get hit by it)
Snake Up-Throw Sticky: 58%-60%
Lucas Up-Throw: 84%-85% (same as Mewtwo)
Lucas Up-Smash: 68%-70%

Fox's Up-Air and Up-Smash are no joke. I understand that the grabs don't look that impressive but you remember that all they need to do is grab and pummel you anywhere on the stage while you need a critical sweet spot to do the same. I also don't like the height of the platforms for disrupting fast faller abuse. Against Fox's and fast fallers I ban it and I have to think twice with everyone else.

Last edited:

Geth Drips

Smash Rookie
Has anyone else had problems with teledashing on the new Norfair stage? Sometimes I can't teledash through the platforms, sometimes I can. I haven't tested it very extensively at all, but from what I've noticed so far, generally it seems you can't TD when the platforms are separated, but you can when they're together.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Has anyone else had problems with teledashing on the new Norfair stage? Sometimes I can't teledash through the platforms, sometimes I can. I haven't tested it very extensively at all, but from what I've noticed so far, generally it seems you can't TD when the platforms are separated, but you can when they're together.
You cannot teleport/teledash through a moving platform. You can sometimes teleport/teledash off the edge of it, but if it's moving...no bueno

Last edited:

Schwamus

Smash Cadet
I haven't tested the percents like @ WhiteCrow WhiteCrow but the reason I'll go to WW is if I am playing against a character I can get an easy back throw kill against. It seems to KO so early on that stage and the physical part of the stage is small enough where it is even a viable kill option at high percents when standing on the opposite ledge.

Top Bottom