• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda: How can I improve my quasi-competitive game?

iDarkLink

Smash Rookie
NNID
iDarkLinkGraal
3DS FC
0173-1601-0584
I'm not here to study frame data for a living, nor do I have dreams of taking down Ally and the rest of the top players one day. I'm just a casual player who used to live that way, but I've moved on to find Smash Tour as a nice distraction from FG.

I just want to hear the community's opinion on my current Zelda playstyle and how I can possibly improve it so I can have my "quality" videos like this one.

Source:

Again, I'm not here to find out how I can win big money at my locals. Just wanting to know how I stack up to the community's standards.
Thanks!

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Heyo, you posted this a while ago but I figured you'd like some pointers. Your ability to link attacks with Zelda is pretty on point, and you have a good sense for some stylish combos to aim for (looking especially at that barely whiffed upsmash>up-b). Two areas I think you can focus on to get better are your movement and edgeguard options.

For movement, you were pretty skilled at following your opponent through the air, but your grounded movement wasn't fluid. Perfect pivots and ledge cancels, though flashy, have a very bad difficulty/reward ratio; learning to do certain movements like walk or foxtrot (where you flick the control stick forward and only get the start of the dash) into your jab and tilt attacks will immensely improve the space you cover and give you more approach options than dash attack, dash grab, and run up to shield. Speaking of shield, take some time to learn how to turn around and grab someone after your shield is hit - the timing is a little different, and could be difficult if you like grabbing with shield+a.

For edge options, you usually let your opponent come back to the ledge for free, but Zelda has many great options for stopping this. Attack them offstage with nair or neutral-B, and you can easily get back with your up-B and maybe a jump. If you like staying on stage, downtilt the ledge just as they grab it (it'll pop them up), or run back and use the Phantom to hit them when they come up from the ledge.

Top Bottom