• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Guide: Lightning looks good on you

Zelda Guide: Lightning looks good on you

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
D3RK submitted a new guide:

Zelda Guide: Lightning looks good on you - In depth guide for Smash 4 Zelda

General Overview:
The princess of Hyrule returns in Smash 4! Zelda is a very unique character based around magical attacks and sweet spot moves. She has a wide variety of defensive options in her arsenal such as a reflector (Nayru's Love), two projectiles (Din's Fire and Phantom Slash) and easily one of the best escape/recovery moves in the game (Farore's...
Read more about this guide...

Update:
If you enjoy this guide please show your support by entering it in the guide contest!
It is against the contest rules to enter my own guide so please help me out! All you have to do is link this guide in the comment section before December 15th.:)

Last edited:

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
This guide is great! Nice breakdown of combos and all her moves. The formatting is excellent too btw.

"Grab > Down Throw > Dair > Nayru's Love > Farore's Wind"

dying to try this one combo out when i get home later, probably looks so fresh!! :awesome:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Excellent guide. Glad to see Zelda getting a little love.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Nice job! I really liked the look and layout ^ ^ Although, you may want to include that FW does have a frame or two where she can be hit at the end of FW.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
D3RK updated Zelda Guide: Lightning looks good on you with a new update entry:

Update 1.2

- A lot of info has been expanded.
- Visuals were added to the "Move Overview and Damage %" and "Advanced technique" sections. There were also a few visuals added throughout the guide because I like to make things pretty!
- Added a match up area under the "Playing Zelda" section.
- Added additional combos to the "Combo String" section and also split combos based on guaranteed/not guaranteed strings.
- Changes from past games was added under the introduction.
-Titles of sections are now colored...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965

Update 1.3

-Updated pictures from 3ds version to Wii U version for the moves section.
-Added/Updated various info in the moves section.
-Replaced the images in the advanced techniques section with videos.
:GCB::GCU: Farore's Squall:

A non-damaging version of the default that pushes/pulls opponents with a wind box and throws them into the air on the second hit. During the teleport Zelda becomes a golden ball of light cloaked in wind that pulls anything she passes through with her. This may seem like a useless custom compared to the default but it can have some interesting results when used in teams. Farore's Squall can be used right behind your partner while they are charging an attack to push them towards the opponents team. Farore's Squall can also be used to aid your partner's recovery offstage. For example: Little Mac is very gimpable offstage but Zelda can easily carry him back on stage with Farore's Squall.

Squall Boosting: Farore's Squall can be an extremely effective custom in teams by using the push effect to extend your partners range and catch opponents by surprise. You can freely use it on your partner since this is a non damaging attack. You can basically mimic DACUS for every single one of your partner's moves. Look at that distance!

Squall Shifting: Farore's Squall can be used to save your partner launched offstage using the pull effect. This can be extremely handy when you are paired with a character that has a poor recovery. You can also carry or reflect item based projectiles with Farore's Squall.

Squall Walling: Farore's Squall can block attacks while pushing the opponent away. For example, Sheik's Bouncing Fish was completely negated and she was pushed away in the images above. You can also gimp opponents offstage by using the push effect to blow them away from the stage.

Last edited:

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
Hey @ 「 Derk 」 「 Derk 」 I'd love to hear your analysis on Din's Blaze vs Din's Flare custom moves in the future.
No rush though, I understand all of us are quite busy.

Your comprehensive analysis on Farore's Squall has certainly given us all a completely different perspective on the move that most were saying was totally useless!

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Din's Blaze:
Din's Blaze is the hardest version of Din's Fire to use but it is also the most fun out of the 3 in my opinion. The delayed explosion means it is even harder to sweet spot than the default and requires a lot of predicting/reads to use properly. However, the delay and increased control of Din's Blaze is what makes it a great move. The tradeoff for this move is it's the slowest version of Din's Fire and the hardest version to use effectively, but it has devastating power and total control of the movement.

If you have ever played Robin then this probably looks familiar to you. Many Robin players will create frame traps by using Arc Fire and grabbing afterwords if you make the mistake of shielding it. This is a similar idea that uses the sour spot on Din's Blaze to follow up into a grab. Din's Blaze lacks the multi-hit effect of Arc Fire that traps players in shield so this only works if the sour spot actually hits the opponent.

You can use Din's Blaze to cover your landings on stage. If Sheik were to approach Zelda in any way here they would risk taking a sweet spotted Din's Blaze as punishment.

Reverse Blaze Landing. Notice how Din's Blaze remains behind Zelda. This protects your back while setting up an attack at the same time. Reversing Din's Blaze has an interesting effect on the move itself also! A regular Din's Blaze will launch opponents away from Zelda while a reversed Din's Blaze will launch opponents towards her. This can lead into some interesting combos.

Din's Flare excels at edge guarding! You can set a trap anywhere offstage to catch players trying to get back to the ledge. The lingering effect on this move allows it to supply constant pressure while you get into position to punish an air dodge with a Dair spike if needed. Din's Flare basically allows you to control the opponents recovery.

Din's Flare:
Din's Flare is the fastest and easiest version of Din's Fire to use. It has the longest reach and the explosion happens instantly. It can reach all the way across FD/Omega stages in 2 seconds. Unlike the default, Din's Flare does consistent damage no matter how far it travels. The trade off for this move is it's a lot faster and has an extended distance, but it loses the ability to travel vertical. This makes Din's Flare a very simple, but effective attack to use. One thing you will notice immediately when using Din's Flare is that it's very hard to punish players offstage with it.

Din's Flare is a great attack at any range since it is quick and has consistent damage. This custom is your main answer to Zelda's issue with fast characters since you can wall them out with a faster and more threatening projectile. They also have a harder time punishing you for using it!
Sorry there is not more info on Din's Flare. There is not really much you can say about it lol. Go fast, Hit fast!

Edit: Updated all custom moves in the guide with a tradeoff section.

Last edited:

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
Thanks D3rk! I'm really liking the uses you listed for Din's Blaze, it seems like a move full of potential and utility despite being slower/harder to use.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965

Update 2.0

Massive update.
-Created a website to host the guide. This allowed me to give the entire guide a huge makeover and add things I couldn't do otherwise!
-Updated a lot of info and expanded on a lot of different things. Custom moveset section for example now includes things such as tradeoffs, info on the custom moves used in the set, and choices of different customs in the same set. Other sections have received new stuff also.
-Guide now has navigation to make it easier to jump to sections.
-added...

Updated guide can be found here. Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think of all the new improvements! All future changes will only happen on the new guide but I will continue adding update notes here.

Last edited:

chadmoney

Smash Rookie
Hey D3RK,
I have posted a thread thanks to the advice I got on the boards, I was able to make one for zelda mains. Its called "Zelda's advanced fightning tips." I have updated it, so feel free to take a look at it and see the new tips I added to the thread.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Update 2.1

Added a new video that covers a lot of info on Zelda.
Includes:
- Options to stop approaches and potential set ups for each option
- Advanced techniques (Love Jump, Love Boost, Teleport Cancel, Din Cancel)
- Strings and combos
- Landing traps

Last edited:

Luun

Smash Rookie
I've been a longtime Zelda main, but I'm still fairly mediocre with her so this is a big help! Thank you so much!

Top Bottom