• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Combo + Kill Set Up

Zolda

Smash Cadet
NNID
carcanet
(Sorry, I don't have a capture card.)

I have tried this on Sheik and Wario with no rage. I do not know if it works against real players as I've only tried it against training bots set to stop and attack. I also do not know how DI might factor into this (it may make the kill set up harder/not kill). I do believe that this will work on much more than these two characters, so further experimentation is needed.

A. Sheik: she's lighter and will die faster.
1. Combo
  • If we sweetspot a grounded dair at a specific height, it will autocancel/cancel with little to no lag
  • The sweetspot can then be followed up by an up smash
  • This all takes place at 50% to 70%
2. Kill setup
    • This takes place at 80% to 100%
    • Perform the d air as instructed above
    • U smash will not work here!
    • Instead, jump and go for a u air (timing is a little difficult and may turn into an up smash)
    • This will kill (DI not factored in)
B. Wario: he's heavier and will take longer to kill.
  1. Combo
    • The steps for this are the same as sheik's
    • The percents are different. Wario is heavy, so the combo starts at approx. 70%.
    • If you do the combo once, then the kill setup will work. (about 90% to 100%%)
This seems to be situational, but every bit helps!

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Inspired by the fact you're trying new things with Zelda, nice!

For the combo, I feel like the opponent can jump or air dodge right after being sent into the air though, and you would not be able to follow up with an up smash. However, I think you can read an air dodge and maybe follow up with a forward air or back air depending on DI? Especially since there is a lack of landing lag.

As for the kill setup, that seems super useful. With Zelda's lack of everything kill setups and combos in general, when I play Zelda I am definitely going to do this. You may have to bait an air dodge in this scenario, and then go for an up air. I really like it!

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
(Sorry, I don't have a capture card.)

I have tried this on Sheik and Wario with no rage. I do not know if it works against real players as I've only tried it against training bots set to stop and attack. I also do not know how DI might factor into this (it may make the kill set up harder/not kill). I do believe that this will work on much more than these two characters, so further experimentation is needed.

A. Sheik: she's lighter and will die faster.
1. Combo
  • If we sweetspot a grounded dair at a specific height, it will autocancel/cancel with little to no lag
  • The sweetspot can then be followed up by an up smash
  • This all takes place at 50% to 70%
2. Kill setup
    • This takes place at 80% to 100%
    • Perform the d air as instructed above
    • U smash will not work here!
    • Instead, jump and go for a u air (timing is a little difficult and may turn into an up smash)
    • This will kill (DI not factored in)
B. Wario: he's heavier and will take longer to kill.
  1. Combo
    • The steps for this are the same as sheik's
    • The percents are different. Wario is heavy, so the combo starts at approx. 70%.
    • If you do the combo once, then the kill setup will work. (about 90% to 100%%)
This seems to be situational, but every bit helps!
Good stuff. Unfortunately, the dair can be teched but it's safe since dair AC's. Looks like the timing on the kill confirm is a bit strict according to training mode but this is good. The more kill setups we find, the better.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I've done this when I can, but it doesnt feel consistent against real opponents mainly because if your opponent is grounded in neutral they can easily shield the Dair. However in the handful of times I've pulled it off it does seem like a true combo/kill setup.

theburningstars

Smash Rookie
NNID
theburningstars
dair to up smash works properly on Link in mid-percentage iirc, Tink too.
Ganon is low to mid %s since he's so heavy.
If the opponent techs the dair, up smash can work properly against all opponents and low, mid, and high (killing!) %s I've faced except short characters like Kirby and Jiggs. Beware faster characters though, since some can grab out of it, sticking you in a bad spot.
If opponent doesn't tech at higher percentages, follow up with an up air or even an up B with a good read.

Really, dair sweetspot can follow through to a good amount of things with good reads.
Forgive me if I'm wrong on any of this, since I've only really tested on amiibo, my boyfriend, and training CPU. I also didn't keep track of exact percentages or setups, just rolled with the flow. If anybody would like to test more, I'd appreciate it!

Glad someone else noticed this too though! I also think there's a good Zelda tutorial on the boards that show a similar setup, if not the exact one. I don't have the link atm, but it's called "Lightning Looks Good On You" iirc.

landing the dair to upsmash on a real opponent is one of the most satisfying things about zelda tbh

Last edited:

Zolda

Smash Cadet
NNID
carcanet
dair to up smash works properly on Link in mid-percentage iirc, Tink too.
Ganon is low to mid %s since he's so heavy.
If the opponent techs the dair, up smash can work properly against all opponents and low, mid, and high (killing!) %s I've faced except short characters like Kirby and Jiggs. Beware faster characters though, since some can grab out of it, sticking you in a bad spot.
If opponent doesn't tech at higher percentages, follow up with an up air or even an up B with a good read.

Really, dair sweetspot can follow through to a good amount of things with good reads.
Forgive me if I'm wrong on any of this, since I've only really tested on amiibo, my boyfriend, and training CPU. I also didn't keep track of exact percentages or setups, just rolled with the flow. If anybody would like to test more, I'd appreciate it!

Glad someone else noticed this too though! I also think there's a good Zelda tutorial on the boards that show a similar setup, if not the exact one. I don't have the link atm, but it's called "Lightning Looks Good On You" iirc.

landing the dair to upsmash on a real opponent is one of the most satisfying things about zelda tbh
See, I thought that teching in place would allow u smash to land anyway. Good to see someone confirmed it.
Have you tried tech rolling? Also, really good to know about Kirby and Jiggs. I think I've seen that video you mentioned too.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
My personal favorite Dair followup is side-aerial, even if it usually only kills at the side of the stage it's flashy as hell.

Also remember that if the opponent gets too high percent for dair>uair, you can still hit them with second hit teleport till super high percents.

theburningstars

Smash Rookie
NNID
theburningstars
See, I thought that teching in place would allow u smash to land anyway. Good to see someone confirmed it.
Have you tried tech rolling? Also, really good to know about Kirby and Jiggs. I think I've seen that video you mentioned too.
I haven't tested it too thoroughly, unfortunately.
Slow rollers like Samus I've caught with an ftilt, but if I'm being honest that was completely unintentional lol. If my bf tech rolls the dair I'm usually like "I'M OUT" because I don't want to get punished.

Another thing of note is that I've had people grab or jab me out of the upsmash before it hits, so I don't think this is a true combo, just a useful setup for those unsuspecting.
I would also assume that another Zelda could Nayru out of it, but I'm not sure since I never fight Zelda dittos.

Last edited:

Zelfox

Smash Rookie
Dair is probably one of my favourite killsetups if the opponent doesn't tech.

dair > upair (kills around 80ish and above)
dair > upsmash (usually connects around lower percents like 40 or 50)
dair > bair (can kill around 60+ if at edge, fair is a bit too slow for this to combo, stops working at higher percents)
dair > elevator (works if u can read their DI)

I've tried those in training mode, and they all register as combos. I haven't tried most of them except dair > uair in a real match tho.

Last edited:

Jcsaenz1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4210-4404-7146
I've tried those in training mode, and they all register as combos. I haven't tried most of them except dair > uair in a real match tho.
Funny coincidence, because all I use with a dair setup is up air as a follow up. It works really well for me, especially on mid to heavyweights.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Although it's less safe, fast falling the Dair actually lets us combo from it much much easier since the landing lag is shorter than the AC window.

Also FF Dair>Elevator is a thing on Mario somewhere in the 40s (training mode) that kills on FD depending on stage position and DI. On a stage like T&C it could very well kill regardless of positioning or DI. It works because the Dair pops him up some, allowing him to fly high enough for the sweetspot of FW2 to connect when it normally wouldn't from a standard Elevator.

Last edited:

Jcsaenz1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4210-4404-7146
Down throw into farores wind done
Those are REALLY tough to pull off, at least for me.

Also, one other thing that I like to do is to do a Jab and follow it up with Farore's Wind at high percentages (85-110 weight dependent). What happens is that the enemy is still in hitstun of the jab, allowing for the 2nd hit of farore's to connect. Just jab them and immediately press up+b.

chris1855

Smash Cadet
NNID
mario1855
Those are REALLY tough to pull off, at least for me.

Also, one other thing that I like to do is to do a Jab and follow it up with Farore's Wind at high percentages (85-110 weight dependent). What happens is that the enemy is still in hitstun of the jab, allowing for the 2nd hit of farore's to connect. Just jab them and immediately press up+b.
Down throw into up air also works. Farores wind also works out of shield very well and from down tilt

Top Bottom