• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-cancel question

nesshero

Smash Cadet
I have found that it's significantly easier to Z-cancel down-A attacks when I use the "A" button instead of the "R" button for the air attack. Is this known to be true? Don't the 'pros' usually use the R button for air attacks?

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure if that's true
there's no reasoning behind why using R would allow z canceling to be easier
I use A for air attacks, by the way

BladeZero

Smash Cadet
I've never used R for aerial attacks. I don't think theres a difference, it's all pyschological.

Atrion

Smash Apprentice
I use A and Z, but some of my friends just use R when they know its going into a grab after the aerial anyways

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
for nair i always use R, but for everything else i use A. What i've found handy is zcanceling a FAIR with pika, and as ur z-spamming to cancel, the second you hit the ground you actually grab, so it looks totally seamless, it happened by accident a buncha times, but now i've just incorporated it into my game.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
You could just keep pressing R in the air and the same thing will happen. It works perfectly if your opponent doesn't DI.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
because u can use R to do aerial attack, then r to cancel, then r to grab if u want. This can be problem with link though if you arent use to it, b/c u will throw out ur grab if u press r again after u cancel

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
because u can use R to do aerial attack, then r to cancel, then r to grab if u want. This can be problem with link though if you arent use to it, b/c u will throw out ur grab if u press r again after u cancel
totally true...which is why im attempting (without much success so far) to play pikachu without the R button...yes no grabbing :dizzy:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't hear of many people using R for anything other than just grabbing.

jcarter

Smash Rookie
I use R with Ness all the time. Right thumb is for down C and the occasional d-smash, which right index finger is for grabbing and aerials.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
I use R for aerials and I R-cancel and I use R for grabbing. I find it the most natural thing in the world. :|

I use my thumb for jumping w/ c-buttons, so why you would want to then slide the thumb down to A is beyond me... your right index finger is already perfectly placed on the R button. This allows me to do stuff like hitting people with DK's uair right off the ground (which looks insanely cool) with the greatest of ease. >_<

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
For Drill moves like fox or kirby's dair, sometimes
i short hop and just keep tapping r and z, and i get an easy drill grab

_kSo_

Smash Master
drill grab with kirby is useless. why not just drill utilt? instant death

and with fox, don't spam z kuz it requires such precision to do his combos that if you like mess up and throw out your shield, your combo is finished. in fact its that way for any character. so R aerial and R canceling is basically the same effect as A aerials and Z canceling.

also drill dtilt with fox. if you hit the drill, why grab? just combo to death. thats why fox is retardedly amazing. if you want to grab a lot, dance dash grab. trust me, its a good idea :p

PrimaryFox

Smash Cadet
Okay, there's no doubt in my mind that certain moves cancel easier with A rather than R. I found this out the hard way because I use R for all my aerial attacks. There is a move with mario thats probably one of the more difficult ones to pull off that involves a shorthop dair and a uair. I could never get it when I used R. I can get it every time by finishing with A, I dont know why that is but it is definately easier. I use Shorthop + Down R then Up A + Z. I used to vow never to use A for any aerial attacks but i found that that is the only way to pull that one off so I use A for it, other than that I don't use A for any aerial attacks.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that for pikachu, if i hit z right after i do fair or dair, it cancels no problem. But for all other characters ie falcon, kirby, DK, fox, etc. I think you have to time the z-cancel so that you hit it right before they hit the ground. This has led to a really nasty habit of me just spamming the z button. Now it usually works for me, but i was wondering if anybody else noticed the timing differences between z-cancels?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
drill grab with kirby is useless. why not just drill utilt? instant death

and with fox, don't spam z kuz it requires such precision to do his combos that if you like mess up and throw out your shield, your combo is finished. in fact its that way for any character. so R aerial and R canceling is basically the same effect as A aerials and Z canceling.

also drill dtilt with fox. if you hit the drill, why grab? just combo to death. thats why fox is retardedly amazing. if you want to grab a lot, dance dash grab. trust me, its a good idea :p
I like to use kirby's throw because it is incredibly annoying to the other player :-P
i usually attempt to utilt after kirby's drill...i havent mastered Z-canceling though.

I spam dtilt with fox though...its hard to pass up a drill grab on the edge for an edge guard attempt though

Top Bottom