• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yuji Naka's "Rodea: The Sky Soldier" - Spiritual Successor to NiGHTS, With a Dash of Sonic

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Story

"1,000 years ago, Emperor Geardo of the Naga Empire sent an army of machine soldiers to invade the sky kingdom of Garuda. Thanks to the efforts of Princess Cecilia and Rodea, a machine soldier who promised to protect Garuda, Emperor Geardo’s assault was thwarted.

In present day, a spirited inventor named Ion discovers an abandoned robot that has fallen into disrepair in the heart of a scorching desert. Upon completing her repairs, the robot stirs to life and reveals itself to be none other than Rodea. Stunned to find himself in the future, Rodea learns that the Naga Empire is no more and that Garuda has known peace for 1,000 years.

But this peace was not meant to last, for the forces of Naga have returned to wage war against Garuda. Remembering the promise he made 1,000 years ago, Rodea takes to the skies to defend Garuda from the Naga Empire once again."
So this is an interesting little game that just quietly released that I thought I'd share. First, let me explain the development history, as it's important.

Quite some time ago, Yuji Naka (one of the original creators of Sonic the Hedgehog and NiGHTS) left Sonic Team to start up his own indie studio, Prope. He mostly developed small WiiWare titles and the like, but the team at Prope eventually started developing Rodea, as a full-scale, retail Wii title. It was to be published by Kadokowa Games and localised by XSEED, and the game was ready to release by 2012. However, Kadokawa grew silent, and Prope was unsure of what was happening with the game, and 2012 ended without the game seeing a release.

In 2013 however, Kadokawa announced that they had been developing a 3DS version of the game to go along with the Wii game, and that the two would be released together...however, neither released, and eventually, they outright cancelled the Wii version, and announced that a Wii U version would be released instead.

However, the Wii U version is not actually the Wii version with updated graphics or anything - it's just the 3DS version that Kadokawa developed, ported to Wii U, with minimal alterations to the graphics.

At this point, it seemed all hope would be lost for the original game Yuji Naka and Prope had developed, but luckily, a compromise was made - all FIRST PRINT copies of the Wii U version, in all regions, contain a copy of the original Wii version developed by Yuji Naka, complete with a reversible cover for both versions and all, so you can even get an empty Wii box and stick the original cover on it, if you want to group the game with your Wii game collection.

The game released last year in Japan, and while it was supposed to come out in September in the West, it ended up releasing just recently in November, localised by NIS America.

The Wii U and 3DS versions do NOT do the original game Yuji Naka made justice and do not represent his ideas, as they make a lot of questionable design decisions that neuter the experience. However, the Wii version is the full experience as Yuji Naka envisioned it, and he's encouraged people to play the Wii version specifically on Twitter. Heck, when you open the box of a first print Wii U copy, the Wii version is front and center.

I guaranteed myself a first print copy by pre-ordering the Limited Edition (it comes with a soundtrack, artbook, and a necklace based on one of the game's story artifacts, all packed into a box with lovely artwork on it) of the Wii U version on the NIS America European Store months in advance, but standard Wii U copies in the first print run also include the Wii version.

----------------

So how does the game play? Well, all versions of the game carry the same core idea - Rodea is a robot that can fly by targeting wherever it is he wants to go to. Once an object or piece of landscape is targeted, Rodea will begin flying towards that area, beginning with an arc (to avoid getting stuck under ceilings and such), and will bounce off the object if it's not solid ground he can land on. His flight path can easily be changed mid-flight by just targeting elsewhere. Virtually everything in the game is target-able, so you will pretty much rarely walk, as flying is so much faster and more fun to do.

During flight, he can attack enemies with a Boost Attack. He can also use a machine gun on foot and while flying too.

That's pretty much where the gameplay similarities between the Wii and Wii U/3DS versions end though. Even what I have described above controls much differently between the two versions, and other mechanics, like health and power-ups, are handled completely differently between the two versions. Here's a short video that compares the two and highlights most of the main differences:

In short though, it is HIGHLY recommended that if you want to experience this game and it's story in the best possible way, you get the Wii U version as early as possible (or make sure it's a brand new, first print copy anyway), and play the Wii version that comes packaged COMPLETELY free (meaning the package doesn't cost extra despite you literally getting two retail discs). The Wii version is the one made by Yuji Naka, and it really shows - it's way more fast paced, the levels flow excellently for speed runs while also being big and open to encourage exploration, the controls are simple and intuitive with you effectively only having one action button, but power-ups enhance the experience and there is a lot of depth to the gameplay due to how momentum can effect Rodea (similar to a Sonic game in that regard), and it looks way nicer due to the original art direction of the game (the Wii U version looks really washed out and desaturated compared to the bright and colourful Wii version).

Also as far as the story and what not goes, it has a simple but effective charm to it and it is a nice balance between seriousness and lighthearted comedy.

So yeah, I really recommend this game, but only really the Wii version...but you have to buy the Wii U version to get that, as things stand right now. I do hope the Wii version gets a Virtual Console release on Wii U, though.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
What's this? A game by Yuji Naka?

A game by PROPE?

BEST BELIEVE IM IN THIS THREAD.

I havnt gotten the game, but I'm making it it a top priority within the next 2-3 weeks.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I have been following this game since it was announced for Japan. I saw that it's out on 3DS but I am planning on picking up the WiiU version. I just have SO MANY GAMES to play right now... but hopefully I'll get it with birthday money or for Christmas once I've wrapped up a few games.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What's this? A game by Yuji Naka?

A game by PROPE?

BEST BELIEVE IM IN THIS THREAD.

I havnt gotten the game, but I'm making it it a top priority within the next 2-3 weeks.
I have been following this game since it was announced for Japan. I saw that it's out on 3DS but I am planning on picking up the WiiU version. I just have SO MANY GAMES to play right now... but hopefully I'll get it with birthday money or for Christmas once I've wrapped up a few games.
If ye want the Wii version (the Yuji Naka/good version), then yeah, best make it a priority to get the Wii U version as early as possible. Unless they release the Wii version on the Virtual Console, the Wii version will easily be one of the rarest games, certainly one of the rarest on the Wii or any recent Nintendo platform.

Even if you don't intend to play it any time soon, just make sure you buy it (that was pretty much my plan since I ended up marathoning Kingdom Hearts games around September, but since it came out later than expected, I am playing it now whenever the TV is free), and make sure it's a new copy, as a lot of people apparently buy it and keep the Wii version, but trade in the Wii U version.

I think most places are sold out of the Wii U Limited Edition (which is a sure fire way to get it), but maybe you can find that somewhere.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Was the limited edition game something that you had to preorder?
It was exclusive to certain online stores, such as the NIS America store.

I know the American NIS store has some copies of the 3DS Limited Edition left but none for the Wii U.

That being said, if you just want the Wii game you can probably still find the first print copies somewhere in your neighbourhood since the game hasn't been out long and it released alongside Fallout 4.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, if SEGA isn't going to make NiGHTS 3 I'm glad Naka-san stepped up to the plate and did it for us.
Mind you, it isn't EXACTLY like NiGHTS. In fact, pretty much the only similarity it has is the basic idea of "your character can fly", and maybe some of the music. Otherwise, it controls completely differently, is a little more combat focused, etc. There are 2D bonus rooms in the Wii version though (that aren't present in the other versions), that harken back to NiGHTS a bit, though.

However, if Naka-san had been given the opportunity to make a fully 3D NiGHTS game, I can easily imagine it playing pretty similarly to Rodea.

In general, Naka-san has some noticeable design philosophies in all of his games including Sonic and NiGHTS, that carry over very well into Rodea, such as free-form level design that accommodates for both well flowing speedrunning and relaxed exploration, and a focus on having better abilities with power-ups that you don't lose until you take damage.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I honestly thought this game came out like two years ago. :/
It was supposed to come out like, 5 years ago. :V

The Japanese version actually did come out almost 2 years ago, I believe.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I really did enjoy both NiGHTS games. Maybe I will pick up this game eventually.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Got the game for Christmas. I never really followed the game during it's development, I just knew it was a thing. I really, really enjoy it! The controls took a little while to get used to, but after that, just moving around is a ton of fun. My only nitpick is that I wish the game had Nunchuck support for moving Rodea on the ground, but since you'll mostly be in the air, it's not that big of a deal. I like the characters, music, and visuals. Can't wait to play more of it.

I'm of course talking the Wii version, haven't had a chance to play the Wii U one, though I'm aware of it's infamy.

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
I bought the game at launch, kept the Wii game disc + original cover, reprint the Wii U cover on a blue Wii U case with the Wii U game and sold it to a game store. So all in all it was a great deal.

I did try the Wii U version of course but the gameplay was horrible and so were the visuals so I couldn't stomach to continue playing this horrible version.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Got the game for Christmas. I never really followed the game during it's development, I just knew it was a thing. I really, really enjoy it! The controls took a little while to get used to, but after that, just moving around is a ton of fun. My only nitpick is that I wish the game had Nunchuck support for moving Rodea on the ground, but since you'll mostly be in the air, it's not that big of a deal. I like the characters, music, and visuals. Can't wait to play more of it.

I'm of course talking the Wii version, haven't had a chance to play the Wii U one, though I'm aware of it's infamy.
I'm glad you managed to get the Wii version too, I was worried you might miss it due to it only being in first print runs.

Hope you keep enjoying it!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
While I haven't beaten the game yet (VERY close though), I can safely say Rodea the Sky Soldier is a great game. The controls work really well, being one of the best uses of the Wii remote I've ever seen (as shame the game came out this late, especially since it was complete since 2011 I believe). It's simple, yet fun. I do have complaints, the camera controls can be a little weird at times, I said in my last post I wished it had Nunchuck support for ground control, I now wish it used it for camera control, still, it's not that big of a deal. The story is good, but nothing to write home about, I did like the writing and characters however. The game actually had me laughing pretty hard at times, one of my favorite scenes being when Rodea snaps and yells at Ion's grandfather. The voice acting is...okay, some characters clearly sound better than others, but I wouldn't say anyone is bad.

As for why I haven't beaten it yet, the final boss. I do not like the final boss of this game, at all. The first three phases are pretty easy, the third may give you some trouble, but it's not bad. But the fourth and final phase is annoying, and if you mess it up, you have to start from the very beginning. It's a shame, because I did really enjoy the boss fights that came before. However, I'm not quitting, I will beat this boss.

The game is great, and if you can find the Wii U version that comes with the Wii version at a decent price, I highly recommend you jump on that immediately. The Wii version is Yuji Naka's original vision, and is the one that deserves to be played. I can only hope we can see the Wii version on the Virtual Console one day.

Top Bottom