• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You're to-I mean Sonic Speed!

You're to-I mean Sonic Speed!

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
bluecrow submitted a new guide:

You're to-I mean Sonic Speed! (WIP) - move explanations, set ups and combos

Intro: Sonic simply put is a speedster. He can put quick pressure on an opponent and get out allowing for a very hit and run style of play. Additionally all that great speed and pressure makes him a natural at chasing techs, guarding edges and keeping opponents on the top half of the stage. So naturally learning not only his kill moves, but also the options to guard edges and pursue opponents when he puts himself in an advantageous spot can make you a much more effective sonic player.

Sections...
Read more about this guide...

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
bluecrow updated You're to-I mean Sonic Speed! with a new update entry:

Sonic Speed!

While many small edits were made over time, no large ones happened, but this is what changed over the course of these small edits
- General improvements to Grammar cause it was a disgusting problem and more then likely still is
- Last section actually exists
- Pics were added for better examples and clarification
- Advance combos were added
- Credits section was added
- Damage %s were added
- And a guide icon (cause I thinks its important)
Read the rest of this update entry...

theGIANT

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the guide! I found it incredibly useful! Just one question: I was playing Sonic earlier and he did an animation on the ground where he was in ball-form and spun around in a circle before getting up. I thought it was his getup attack but that has a different animation. Any ideas what this was? It's not a tilt, grab, smash, aerial or special as far as I can tell. I mostly want to know because it looked so cool, haha.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
@ theGIANT theGIANT

If i remember brawl correctly that was his down smash which was removed, it's still his get up attack after missing tech. But you said it isn't that, so I have no clue

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Are there any videos that show off how Sonic plays competitively? I don't mean a tournament match or anything like that, I mean a video tutorial on how to properly use Sonic, his kill moves, combos, etc. It's much easier for me to pick it up visually than read what to do.
Also, I have two controls schemes. One where c-stick is smash attacks and one where it's tilts. Which do you think is better suited for Sonic? I know using c-stick as a tilt helps his aerial movement, but it also makes it harder to run and up smash.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Are there any videos that show off how Sonic plays competitively? I don't mean a tournament match or anything like that, I mean a video tutorial on how to properly use Sonic, his kill moves, combos, etc. It's much easier for me to pick it up visually than read what to do.
Also, I have two controls schemes. One where c-stick is smash attacks and one where it's tilts. Which do you think is better suited for Sonic? I know using c-stick as a tilt helps his aerial movement, but it also makes it harder to run and up smash.
sorry, I don't have the proper equipment to make a video. I'll be looking into it more cause I wanted to add different videos to different sections, but Don't get your hopes up. as far as tilts go it's up to your preference, I do think if you can get used to smashes with out the c stick it will be most beneficial in my opinion. I never really used the c stick for aerials in the first place though, so I don't think I'm the best person to ask.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
bluecrow updated You're to-I mean Sonic Speed! with a new update entry:

This update was too slow

A bunch of improvements modeled after my better understanding of the character and patch changes. Some things changed:
  • General description of moves improved
  • Advance techs added
  • combos expanded and improve. combos changed due to most recent patch
  • damage %s update
  • more screen caps added to the moves section
  • added strings to the combo section
  • some more grammar fixes, Huzzah!
  • more credit given where it was due
Read the rest of this update entry...

1MeLODuDE

Smash Rookie
Ok I have a question for all the Sonic mains out there. My Sonic tech isn't the greatest, but it isn't bad. I can spin shot, perfect pivot, vertical spin dash jump, I can instant spin dash jump(or whatever it's called) and I don't struggle with many characters, but there is one in particular :/ Diddy Kong. I get in a battle with Diddy, and I either win 40% of the time, or not at all. How can I approach him, and my main issue is the banana. The peanuts I don't really have a problem with, but if I don't grab that banana I'm either getting grabbed or getting slipped up by it. Any advice guys(or girls) on how to maneuver with that? Thanks everybody

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Ok I have a question for all the Sonic mains out there. My Sonic tech isn't the greatest, but it isn't bad. I can spin shot, perfect pivot, vertical spin dash jump, I can instant spin dash jump(or whatever it's called) and I don't struggle with many characters, but there is one in particular :/ Diddy Kong. I get in a battle with Diddy, and I either win 40% of the time, or not at all. How can I approach him, and my main issue is the banana. The peanuts I don't really have a problem with, but if I don't grab that banana I'm either getting grabbed or getting slipped up by it. Any advice guys(or girls) on how to maneuver with that? Thanks everybody
I'm really bad at match ups (which is why I'm stalling on making the section don't like giving bad advice which I'm already afraid I'm doing), but if someone were to ask me how to deal/theory how to deal with diddy kong its more about not letting him have the banana. the best way to do this is in my opinion is to stay moving around him outside his range. it's a lot more difficult for a diddy player to go for a banana when a character like sonic needs to dash a short distance to meet him in air. In other words keep the pressure on him and don't let him set up. you give him a second to rest he is going to throw a banana and if he decides to throw a banana in a situation when you are ready for it, it's easy to punish him and get the banana.

I'm definitely not the best to ask. So, Feel free to ask others, find some sonic vs. diddy on youtube and good luck with your match up

1MeLODuDE

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much. I have been following smash boards for awhile and I literally just made an account for this match up. I struggle with it so hard and I go to tournaments and I admit post patch I haven't had to deal with as many Diddy Kongs, but they are starting to slowly surface again here, I'll keep in mind what you said, I do my best to hold on to the banana when it's optimal to pick up, but when I can't get a hold of it I struggle. I'll do my best to keep up the pressure and not give him that chance. Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Thank you so much. I have been following smash boards for awhile and I literally just made an account for this match up. I struggle with it so hard and I go to tournaments and I admit post patch I haven't had to deal with as many Diddy Kongs, but they are starting to slowly surface again here, I'll keep in mind what you said, I do my best to hold on to the banana when it's optimal to pick up, but when I can't get a hold of it I struggle. I'll do my best to keep up the pressure and not give him that chance. Thanks again! I really appreciate it.
no problem, I also found this set that I hope should help. keep in mind it is version 1.0.4

1MeLODuDE

Smash Rookie
Thanks again, I appreciate it, and I have seen that before but I'll give it another watch and try to decifer what 6Wx did, I'll keep in mind it was before the patch. But thanks so much you didn't have to go out of your way to do that I really appreciate it!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
no problem, I also found this set that I hope should help. keep in mind it is version 1.0.4
Thanks again, I appreciate it, and I have seen that before but I'll give it another watch and try to decifer what 6Wx did, I'll keep in mind it was before the patch. But thanks so much you didn't have to go out of your way to do that I really appreciate it!
I also have a set against Keitaro which I won.

Here's a set against Angel. I lost the set but I took a round. Still useful to note. Pre-patch as well, unfortunately.

:093:

Last edited:

1MeLODuDE

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much I really appreciate it!

Also, I'm subscribed to you on YouTube! Keep it up and thank you so much I really appreciate your help.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Thank you so much I really appreciate it!

Also, I'm subscribed to you on YouTube! Keep it up and thank you so much I really appreciate your help.
No problem.

I'm happy to hear it. Thanks for the support!

:093:

Top Bottom