• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Top 5 Tricks/Ways to Practice Alone

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
What's up people? I'm a player from the UK who has been around for a few years but after my first trip out of country at the beginning of the month it has given me that fire to get good at this game. The tournament in question was HF-Lan 6 (check it out on twitch.tv/lefrenchmelee). I wanna be at a good level by the time I get to come to Canada/US next summer.

With that said I have 2 questions for you:

1. What are your top 5 fox specific pieces of tech-skill you feel are most important for foxes to have the ability to do?

2. What are ways some of you train when you lack the ability to play opponents/competent opponents? - Both for tech-skill execution and general gameplay.

Also if you would like to give me a little bit of that critique of my fox play that would be appreciated further.
My last few tournament sets (which were recorded):

Videos 28 - 31 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUZy9GOwQE&list=PLJ1IqvvS3MZdKEvH0s_UtJGGAFZY0kbCu
From 55:54: http://www.twitch.tv/lefrenchmelee/b/487398835

fennel69

Smash Cadet
1. Wavedash/Usmash/waveshine OOS, perfect shield pressure
2. Waveshining OOS CPUs, moving around the stage, SHFFL shine turnaround challenges, ...

D

Deleted member

With that said I have 2 questions for you:

1. What are your top 5 fox specific pieces of tech-skill you feel are most important for foxes to have the ability to do?

2. What are ways some of you train when you lack the ability to play opponents/competent opponents? - Both for tech-skill execution and general gameplay.

1. never missing dash > upsmash, shine oos, never missing upthrow > upair, shinegrab, tight input timing for action > dash

- never play on autopilot, learn to force lucidity
- learn to wait before making an action
- practice action > action sequences against a metronome, do an action as fast as you can, and then have the metronome match the timing until you can't go any faster, then practicing doing it at that speed until you are consistent

http://www.webmetronome.com/

- don't practice against the computer, and don't practice more than 15 minutes at a time
- when you sit down to practice, know what you will practice before-hand, and don't deviate from practicing that one thing

g_f

Smash Cadet
when doing running upsmash, is there a substantial difference between canceling the dash into the upsmash via jump + usmash or by crouch + usmash? the latter feels definitely easier

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
when doing running upsmash, is there a substantial difference between canceling the dash into the upsmash via jump + usmash or by crouch + usmash? the latter feels definitely easier
you can't do crouch upsmash out of an initial dash

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes it's nice to just mute the game, put on some music, plug in another controller, and work on moving around the stages. Practice all of your ledge options, nail all of your platform dashes, tighten up your dash dance, etc.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
1. never missing dash > upsmash, shine oos, never missing upthrow > upair, shinegrab, tight input timing for action > dash

- never play on autopilot, learn to force lucidity
- learn to wait before making an action
- practice action > action sequences against a metronome, do an action as fast as you can, and then have the metronome match the timing until you can't go any faster, then practicing doing it at that speed until you are consistent

http://www.webmetronome.com/

- don't practice against the computer, and don't practice more than 15 minutes at a time
- when you sit down to practice, know what you will practice before-hand, and don't deviate from practicing that one thing
why only 15 minutes a time?
i usually practice for like 2 hours

Top Bottom