• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your thoughts on the Ike matchup.

Qualk

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
Greetings Mega Men!

Ike main here, I recently posted a detailed Ike matchup guide over on the Ike forums and I'd like your feedback on what I wrote about the Mega Man matchup:

Mega Man - 30/70 Mega Man’s favor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru2H50AC4mw
Mega Man is a huge pain for Ike, his Bair and leaf shield do some good work negating our Nair approaches, and we have to approach fast because if we don’t we’ll get pummeled by 500 energy shots. Small stages are your friend here, give him less horizontal space to work with and you’ll have a better time. Quick note: If he lands his sticky bomb you can actually use counter to negate the damage from it when it’s about to go off. You can also simply shield when it’s about to go off and if Mega Man is nearby he’ll take damage from it. Recovering against Mega Man is like navigating a brutal maze of death. He’s got sticky bombs, a projectile down-air that spikes, a ranged F-Smash, oh and if you recover high he’s got an up-air that sends a tornado up to get you (and if it doesn’t do damage it can actually change the trajectory of your quick draw and may cause you to completely miss the stage and die off the other side). Mix up your recovery methods so he doesn’t get comfortable, every time you get back to stage safely should be considered a major victory. Edge guarding him is almost as hard as recovering yourself is, short hop down airs at the ledge are probably your best bet here. Edge trapping is where you can try to do some damage, F-tilts, U-tilts, and Fairs will keep him on his toes as he tries to get up.

Do you agree or disagree with the ratio and what I said? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
I would say, realistically a 40/60 in Megaman's favor.
On stage Megaman can:
- Metal Blade for days, Metal Blade --> Grab if you are close enough
- Harass you with pellets
- Crash Bomber for setups
- Leaf Shield for crazy damage if you forget that you have a counter
- Up-air if you are above him

For kills On stage Megaman can do things like:
- F-air
- B-air
- And the lucky F-Smash
- And maybe Backthrow if you are on really high percents ( 140%+ )
Most of these options won't work against an Ike that has good spacing since Ike has a longer sword, so Megaman will try to get you off the stage usually with a Backthrow.

Off stage is totally different, if you are Ike then you are pretty much dead because:
- Well placed pellet can stop Ike's side-b
- F-Smash can do the same
- F-Smash can hit Ike's up-b if you don't ledge-snap instantly
- D-air can and will kill you if you try to use side-b to recover low
- D-air can also spike of Ike's up-b

Also Aether-cide might not work because of Rush, so keep that in mind.

If you want to beat Megaman as Ike, you have to always have him above you.
Since Megaman doesn't have a real option to get out of juggling besides Rush or the random D-air that connects.
Juggling is IMO Megaman's biggest problem against Ike.
Just land that N-air and don't let him on the ground and you will win.

Top Bottom