• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Ranking for Super Smash Bros. Main Themes + Opening*

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
With three titles and the upcoming fourth on the way, this thread is to share your thoughts on the main/opening themes of the series.

1. Super Smash Bros for WiiU/3DS

Although I'm not a fan of the holiday, hearing this track reminds me of something you'd hear during the 4th of July. Or even something from the Punch-Out!! series. I think the build up is great and how it mixes jazz and orchestra into a cohesive track. I personally like the "Live" version which may end up being the end credits. Hopefully, it has an original cinematic similar to Melee and Smash 64. Interesting to note: the recent Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 have a heavy use of Jazz. Guess it is Smash Bros' turn.

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee

I think of the all the Smash Bros games so far, Melee has the best opening, in my opinion. The music complements the FMV and the smooth transitions is spectacle. I remember first seeing this at Toys R Us back in 2001 two months before the release and how amazed I was. And even today, I can't get over how amazing the opening is. Marvelous. Nintendo did the right thing hiring an outside studio to work on this cinematic. As for the music- what else is there to say? It really captures the theme of Nintendo gives it hints of the respective franchises represented in the game.

3. Super Smash Bros 64

Where it all began. Like Melee after, the opening theme blends well with the quick cinematic and for the first time, you get to see your favorite mascots in the same game. My mind was blown seeing Kirby running alongside Pikachu. Throughout the track, you can really tie in what series is represented- from the moment Link is shown drinking Lon-Lon Milk to Donkey Kong's ferocity and Yoshi's happy-go-lucky motif. The main theme is still heard throughout the series even today.

4. Super Smash Bros Brawl

Composed by the famed Nobuo Uematsu, the theme was a huge departure from Melee and Smash 64. It is a wondrous soundtrack and what felt like signified the closing chapter for this series (hey, remember "Brawl to end 'em all"). Unfortunately, Brawl ranks low for having the most uninspired and slapdash opening cinematic. Everything looked shoehorned together and scenes, although amazing as they are, were ripped from the new Adventure Mode Subspace Emissary. But just because you're in 4th place, doesn't mean you're "bad". Great track. Disappointing opening. And it doesn't help when the main theme is rearranged 10 times in the game. However, my favorite probably has to be Target Test's rendition arranged by Yoko Shimomura and Brawl benefitted from a large cast of composers throughout the Japanese gaming industry.

Last edited:

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
SSB4 doesn't have an intro at the moment, so if I'd rank them all it'd probably be:
  1. Super Smash Bros Melee - My reason? Primarily nostalgia, and the fact that the intro is well done with mostly original animation, music is good too.
  2. Super Smash Bros Brawl - I like the song, the video was a mish-mash of several subspace emissary cutscenes but it still looks good, not SSBM quality though.
  3. Super Smash Bros 64 - I'd probably enjoy it more if I wasn't so spoiled with the new smash bros stuff, credit the video for having completely original video and showing you all the unlockables at the end of it, but I'm not a fan of the music.
  4. (Unranked) Super Smash Bros 4 - Waiting for an opening for this, the music is good though.

Top Bottom