• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your experience exposing a girlfriend to smash

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
Lucky for me, one of the first things we ever did together when we first started seeing each other was get smashed and play Smash (PM). She had been playing Melee and Brawl before (not competitively mind you,) and she saw my Wii and asked if I had Smash Bros and if we could play. I knew at that moment she was the one. \(T∇T)/

She mains Link, and does pretty well, despite no ATs whatsoever. I've been trying to get her to practice her L-Cancel and she seems to be doing okay.

When we play, I do go easy on her, but not too ez; she is getting better and she wants to improve. Also I think the spirit must be crushed once in a while to keep her motivated “ψ(`∇´)ψ. We play tournament rules mostly, and sometimes if we're drunk enough we play Random, FD, All Items on high for giggles.

If there's a tournament on, we spend the weekend watching the tourney. She cheers for M2K and I cheer for Armada. She was super choked when Mang0 beat M2K in Grand Finals at The Big House 4.

I think she realized what an obsessive hobby Smash is for me though, so I think she tries extra hard for me. (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
my friend who's a girl (Not technically what the OP meant, but still) really likes Smash. But...lets say, she is really low tier :p

We've played a lot of Smash together, and I must say she has potential.
And no, I don't sandbag, there's already a character in Smash for that. I just play like I would anyone else.

Just play normally, there's no way someone can learn when playing against someone who isn't at their fullest.

Narpas_sword

my friend who's a girl (Not technically what the OP meant, but still)
lol friend-zoned.

BL.

i agree though. when i learn a game, i like to be whomped the first times to know what potentially i have to beat.
Then i like the other person to continue to play well, but offer pointers after games.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Kind of a late post, but I really wish I could get my girlfriend to Smash, it's a long distance relationship. She's a great gamer though, mostly FPS

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
It was the funniest thing. She never played Smash in her life, so suffice to say, it was all very new to her and I had a riot.

She saw Mewtwo and cried, "EW! What's that ... ugly wrinkly old jogger lady?!" and she only picked him because she somewhat knew Pokemons. I tried to explain but she couldn't get over how gross he looked!

She found it so funny how Ness could battle with a backpack on. "I guess it's pretty functional if he can move like that with a backpack! And hes gotta keep all his stuff somewhere!" He ended up being her favorite.

"I like this monkey," and picked Diddy. I picked Kirby. I ended up taking his ability - and his hat, and she was so confused. How can he copy his style? She was like, "Whoa, okay! He can take my hat?! Well ... one of us is gonna need to change ... can't be seen in public wearing the same get-up!"

One thing she didn't get was Ice Climbers. "Why do they get 2 and everyone else has one person?" Then I explained there game from the NES and such. "Ohh, they must really work well together!" Then it stemmed into Ride or Die jokes and them being together from the womb.

It's a real eye-opener when the thing you know from hitboxes, movesets and character backgrounds is so new and a mystery to someone else. She's adorable.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Just pick a character you know nothing about and you'll be gucci.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon turned her on so much we had the sex while playing...

just kiiiiiiidding, hope it was true though..

Mechageo

Smash Ace
My wife was intimidated by Smash and never played it with us. I've gotten her a PowerA Mini Pro Elite Wireless Controller (It's a Pro Controller) and she's loving it.

It fits in her hands well and with the two player modes in the upcoming Smash she's finally ready to give it a try!
Wish me luck!

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
The amount of people that just let the girl hit them is sad. If I was going to teach my gf how to play, I will tell her the basics then fight for real and just have fun
Girl on girl in smash ...smash has been good to me

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
I lucked out so hard. It wasn't until after a year of dating I found out my girl and her sisters played melee for years lol.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
My girlfriend and I actually played melee all the time when we were kids (she'd spam YL sword plant, which I thought was OP until I learned to roll.) But then I got gud, and tried to get her into the competitive scene with me. She doesn't like practicing, and doesn't like to play games she can't already beat people at, so that didn't happen. So now we play every once in a while. I usually play random characters for fun, and it's fairly even, as she can read me really well (I also suck, so there's that.)

Top Bottom