• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Links Short Hop

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to the whole competitive smash thing, so I was learning the advance techniques. I pretty much have the wavedash down now, but I'm having problems SHing with Young Link.

I've followed guides and practiced, but I can't seem to get it down consistantly (unless I'm using a slower character). The only times I do get it is when I "flick" the X button on the bottom, which just depresses it enough to trigger the short hop. However, it has been hard and inconsistant for me in matches.

So, I was wondering if you guys had any short hopping tips for Young Link. Also, how do you guys do the short hop? (what button do you press, and are there any little things you do (like the flick I described) that might help me out?)

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Ok, fair enough, but would anyone mind saying how they do it? (see first post for details) I'd like to try a bunch of different ways and buttons till I found something comfortable, and just wanted to know what you guys use for SHing.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
... I use Y to jump and short hop (i don't see why i should use another button to short hop anyway

and I short hop double laser (with fox) with the stick but that's just me

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Just practice (that's what I had to do) a bit, try applying it in matches, you'll get it in no time. You could try practicing SHing with Fox to make it easier for you with other characters.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Yeah, practice with ICs, Sheik, or Fox to get really fast at it.

I heard about someone taping tacks onto X so that every time he hit jump he'd stab himself, thus encouraging him to press it as quickly as possible. I doubt you're that hardcore, but there's an option open to you.

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
If you've found that it's easier for you to SH with another character, definitely get extremely proficient at SHing with THAT character first... It'll be much easier for you to then transfer that "skill" over to Y. Link. It may be uncomfortable and unnatural at first, but just go into practice and practice short-hopping by "flicking" the tip of the X/Y button. Repeat for an indefinite ammount of time. Eventually it will become second nature to press the jump button with that quick "flicking" motion, making SHing come very naturally.

Oh, and just something that I have personally noticed in my Y. Link usage... for some reason, I can SH more reliably with Y.Link if I quickly dash before trying to short-hop. Try it out, it might help. :)

I heard about someone taping tacks onto X so that every time he hit jump he'd stab himself, thus encouraging him to press it as quickly as possible. I doubt you're that hardcore, but there's an option open to you.
Masochism, FTW!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Oh, and just something that I have personally noticed in my Y. Link usage... for some reason, I can SH more reliably with Y.Link if I quickly dash before trying to short-hop. Try it out, it might help. :)
I've noticed the same thing. Dashing seems to make the SH easier. I don't know if it's actual game physics or just the mentality of smashing the control stick first causing your other hand to have a lighter touch. :p

PyroHero

Smash Cadet
I just run and tap the y button really quickly. SHing kinda comes naturally after a while don't worry you'll get it. Watch out though cause if you do it to much, you might forget how to do a normal jump XD. lol sometimes i do SH instead of normal jump when I need to use it. :(

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Getting your finger pricked by the tip of a tack is the least of your pains if you plan to go to a tournament without knowing how to short hop.
Masochism? You're not even pressing hard enough for it to pierce the skin on your thumb.

Thunderbolt

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, practice with ICs, Sheik, or Fox to get really fast at it.

Acually, thats not a bad idea.:psycho:

DrewbyDewby

Smash Apprentice
i personally am not good at this game, but the one thing i can do consistently is short hop,
i think this is because i started off this game learning to play with falcon, my goal was to get good at short hopping so i just used the knee (his fair) over and over (and over). I now find it really easy to short hop.

Also, i used Y to short hop

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Whoa, this topic is over a year old!

Young Link has an excellent short-hop. His fast-fall could use some work, but boot walls are where it's at. ^_^

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Getting your finger pricked by the tip of a tack is the least of your pains if you plan to go to a tournament without knowing how to short hop.
Masochism? You're not even pressing hard enough for it to pierce the skin on your thumb.
That is just unnecessary enough it might just work.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
am i the only one who uses X? lolz.

I do the flicking thing that you described.

to me its quicker then fully pressing a button with all of my finger. the faster i press X the faster i can C stick..or go to A. Hence the flick!

Bane

Smash Journeyman
learning to shorthop is easy, just keep gauging force and timing until you've done it, even once... but perfecting and commanding it until it becomes autonomous (which is the only way you'll be able to integrate it) is a little trickier. First, like I said, figure out how to do it, keep tapping the button with more speed and less force until you've done it with Y. Link. Then practice until in training you can do it a few times in a row. So you understand the motion involved, but you may find that in comabt, you can't seem to slow your mind enough to use it, in which case:

Now, switch to a fast character (I used fox, but sheik or the pikas would probably work too) and then try it again. It's far more difficult. You have to press softer and faster now. Keep practicing until you get it most of the time. You might still miss a few, but don't worry. Now try shorthopping and then doing an ariel, harder still. Once you have that more or less down,, start running back and forth along FD in training, shorthopping and arieling your way along. When your more or less comfortable with that, go back to Y. Link, in comparison, short hopping is a breeze, try using it in some matches now her and there, and before you know it, you'll scarcely know how to play without it or how you ever were unable to do it...

Granted this question was asked long ago, and everyone must find your own path to the shuffling, but it requires fewer perforations of the flesh

Trig417

Smash Rookie
am i the only one who uses X? lolz.

I do the flicking thing that you described.

to me its quicker then fully pressing a button with all of my finger. the faster i press X the faster i can C stick..or go to A. Hence the flick!
I use x

shorthopping comes with time, it'll come to you eventually, i started smashing early january doing full hops all the time, and now sh at will and rarely ever (no ones perfect) miss, and even if you do accidently full hop when you mean to sh use it for mindgames

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
Seems the X button users are in the minority =P

...And Im in the minority ^^ (can't keep the same speed if I used the Y button)

Bane

Smash Journeyman
meh, I use X too, Y's so far out of the way as I see it... I've used the X for too long to change now...

Top Bottom