• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link training routine?

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
I've found old guides in young link training, but does anyone have any updated training they'd recommend?

Leank

Smash Rookie
Alright, so Young Link is pretty hard to train with and it took me a while to grind out the best training regiment. However, I'm pretty sure I've found the best training method for Young Link. Here is the comprehensive guide :)
Step One: So you're loaded up on the 20XX pack (This is a bit harder without it). Set CPU 2 to No Act
Step Two: Load up on Final Destination with the No Act AI.
Step Three: Time to learn this sick combo. Begin by tapping the start button in the center of your controller.
Step Four: Press L+R+A+Start again
Step Five: Okay so you should be on the roster screen again. Alright, get on smash boards and look up the Official Melee tier list. Ignore every character under the B category.
Step Six: Choose Fox and then search a training regiment for Fox
I know it's rough maining a low tier but this guide really helps! Good luck :)

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so Young Link is pretty hard to train with and it took me a while to grind out the best training regiment. However, I'm pretty sure I've found the best training method for Young Link. Here is the comprehensive guide :)
Step One: So you're loaded up on the 20XX pack (This is a bit harder without it). Set CPU 2 to No Act
Step Two: Load up on Final Destination with the No Act AI.
Step Three: Time to learn this sick combo. Begin by tapping the start button in the center of your controller.
Step Four: Press L+R+A+Start again
Step Five: Okay so you should be on the roster screen again. Alright, get on smash boards and look up the Official Melee tier list. Ignore every character under the B category.
Step Six: Choose Fox and then search a training regiment for Fox
I know it's rough maining a low tier but this guide really helps! Good luck :)
That method only works best when you're playing Captain Falcon

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
I've found old guides in young link training, but does anyone have any updated training they'd recommend?

Hey there. I can't reccomend a specific training regimen, because i'm bad and don't really have one. But i do get a sense you're fairly new at YL. First of all, get used to YL's general traits and get really good at moving around, and fast. Always try to mix up your movement. (this might not work if youre trying to "fight" AI's, and might be done better with only one character on the stage.)

Make sure you can L cancel all your aerials, ESPECIALLY DAIR. From there, make sure you know when it is safe to use a projectile, and get good at setting bombs on platforms, the ground, and catching them in the air. If you can farm bombs well, you can put a lot of lower level players in a panic because they dont know how to deal with being blown up every five seconds. Apart from looking cool, Up+B to ledge is also a really fast way to grab the ledge, so learn that too.

Bomb Tech: https://smashboards.com/threads/bombs-away-a-guide-on-young-links-bombs-by-njzfinest.79517/

Godlike Bible of Info from NeilHarbino: https://smashboards.com/threads/young-link-collection.443792/

For more info, resources and support, join the discord: https://smashboards.com/threads/young-link-discord.433844/

I'm not sure what other advice i can give other than making sure you can always do these sorts of things. From there, you can watch videos on YL, or even melee in general. Just being involved in the game a lot in some way is beneficial.

I hope this helps,

ianisthewalrus

Smash Rookie
if you are new to ylink start out just playing the cpu and the 1 player story mode. learn his movesset, and get an idea for the spacing and speed of his attacks. that is really the #1 thing. from there, get good with placing the boomerang exactly where you want it, same with arrows. of course, learn how to lcancel all your aerials, other than nair and bair, the lag on his aerials is atrocious, so it is a must. FF is also super useful if just playing quicker, but sometimes it pays to be a little floatier in your movements. dont forget about your hookshot recovery. get it so you can even use it on battlefield.

in terms of tech to grind, basic stuff like shffl, wdoos etc etc. but also as benny has mentioned, upb to ledge. it is your fastest way to grab ledge.

other than that, just play people. 90% of the character is going to be controlling space and adapting to your opponent, and you need an opponent to do that. netplay if ur friend.

JasonKaroshi

Smash Apprentice
Not really a routine, but some Young Link specific stuff you should practice:

- Your bomb setups (Bomb -> f-air, Bomb -> n-air, Bomb -> d-air)

- Your boomerang angles (boomerangles?)

- Getting used to Young Link's dash dance and wavedash distances so you can get a better idea of his spacing options

- Having multiple bombs at once (Z-drop them but not too high up, or they'll explode on you)

- Your edge-guarding. Against Fox and Falco's side-b, using your n-air's extended hitbox, b-air, or if you're feeling ballsy, d-air or u-air. Against their up-b, d-air can hit them out of it near the ending animation, and use projectiles to knock them out of up-b and hit them when they're vulnerable.

Edit: Also practice your recovery. Don't just stick to up-b, and don't pull the bomb off-stage. Odds are, it wont explode for you and help your recovery. Use air-dodge + z-air to latch onto walls, but be quick to press z right after the air-dodge. YL can grab ledges from behind while using up-b, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom