• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide Young Link Bomb Guide + New Tech

Dr. Jay

Smash Rookie
Dr. Jay submitted a new resource:

Young Link Bomb Guide + New Tech - a guide to young links new bombs

How’s it going, I’m dr jay and This is an advanced tutorial on young links bombs. I’ll also be covering a unique tech in smash ultimate that works with several characters. If you don’t have much experience with smash or young link then some of this might be difficult to execute, but stick around because I’ll be talking about how to play against bombs as well.
Young link has an extremely fast and versatile kit, with quick aerials and great zoning. but his...
Read more about this resource...

NShade

Smash Rookie
Yeah i'm sorry bro, this was definitely possible in brawl. maybe even melee.

Dr. Jay

Smash Rookie
Sorry, diehard melee player so this is new tech to me. Made in response to some posts on reddit and the like about how to use young links bombs. You can juggle items like that in brawl? Definitely not melee, I’m a young link vet and the only way to reliably plant bombs was by going through a platform or soft throwing, and bombs hurt yourself even if they hit the opponent in melee so none of this was really possible. Very curious as to this brawl tech, was it in smash 4? Haven’t seen anyone use it

I think the explosion not hurting you on contact with the opponent was new to smash 4. I wasn't the most technical Brawl player, so the other stuff I'm not as sure about. In smash 4, the juggling was more of a Toon Link thing, while the soft-toss stuff was Link specific. Toon Link could z-drop bombs to stay on the platform if he did it a couple frames before landing, but that's all he could do that way. I am wondering if the new jump-squat would allow him to do it as he jumps as well. Having smash 4 Link's bombs and faster frame data definitely gives Young Link a versatility with bombs that no Link has quite had in the past. The only downside is that on-stage juggling can only be done for so long before blowing up in your face: an issue Toon Link doesn't have for the most part. Being able to use bombs more reliably for recovery is probably a decent trade-off, though.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I think the explosion not hurting you on contact with the opponent was new to smash 4. I wasn't the most technical Brawl player, so the other stuff I'm not as sure about. In smash 4, the juggling was more of a Toon Link thing, while the soft-toss stuff was Link specific. Toon Link could z-drop bombs to stay on the platform if he did it a couple frames before landing, but that's all he could do that way. I am wondering if the new jump-squat would allow him to do it as he jumps as well. Having smash 4 Link's bombs and faster frame data definitely gives Young Link a versatility with bombs that no Link has quite had in the past. The only downside is that on-stage juggling can only be done for so long before blowing up in your face: an issue Toon Link doesn't have for the most part. Being able to use bombs more reliably for recovery is probably a decent trade-off, though.
The explosion not hurting you is ONLY a Young Link thing. If it hits the opponent, you don't take damage. You'll still take damage if it explodes before you throw it at your opponent or something though.

Dr. Jay

Smash Rookie
Yeah I mean I’ve played a lot of brawl and a good amount of smash 4, just only melee in tournaments. I know there was glide tossing, and that toon link could do some similar stuff in 4, but having a kit that does all of this and can be used as like a kamikaze close range and out of shield like this is new for sure. One of the most versatile moves in the game imo. I learned this stuff by dropping bombs on platforms like melee yink and seeing if I could platform cancel nair or how fast I could nair out of it and I thought that the instant catch on the bomb was really cool and will probably be used in high level play

Same thing with young link and link in melee, z drop while jumping through a platform planted. You can’t z drop during jump squat, but after the 3 frames you can (maybe takes one or two frames after to actually let it fall but you let go instantly or after 1 frame have yet to confirm exactly). I def think having the bombs blow up can be bad but only fair since he can have two of them. Having them sit unexploded forever would be bad. Also, if it explodes in your hands while shielding it won’t hurt you and can be used like an OOS shine in melee

Thanks for this. Been playing TL since Brawl but was never this technical.
Thank you for the feedback man, if you have any interest in yoshi an in depth tutorial will be coming out tomorrow on him and I’ll be making more stuff on YL soon

The explosion not hurting you is ONLY a Young Link thing. If it hits the opponent, you don't take damage. You'll still take damage if it explodes before you throw it at your opponent or something though.
Is it? I know in smash 4 Toon Link and probably adult Link had that property (only when the bomb hits an opponent, though. If the bomb hits the floor they would get hurt). It seems weird that they would take that from Toon Link and keep it on Young Link without balancing out with damage or something.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Is it? I know in smash 4 Toon Link and probably adult Link had that property (only when the bomb hits an opponent, though. If the bomb hits the floor they would get hurt). It seems weird that they would take that from Toon Link and keep it on Young Link without balancing out with damage or something.
I'm not sure about Smash 4, but it's literally in one of the hints that shows up on loading screens in Ultimate.

Top Bottom