• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You and Your Waddle, a Guide to the Dee (Side B Guide)

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
A lot of people have been asking me how to implement side b into their gamplay, so I figured I'd make a quick guide. I apologize for any formatting errors, low quality of gifs, and redundancy in advance, as I have not done anything like this before. Hope it helps!

INTRODUCTION

Dedede's side b, also known as the waddle dee toss, allows dedede to throw a waddle dee, waddle doo, or Gordo. There is a 71.4% chance of throwing a waddle dee, a 20.4% chance of throwing a waddle doo, and an 8.2% chance of throwing a Gordo. In my own testing, I found that waddles will last on the screen for about 12-13 seconds, before disappearing. Gordo's will disappear after they hit the ground twice. Waddles and Gordos will also disappear of they fall or are hit to a blast zone. You can only have 2 waddles/Gordos on the screen at a time, and throwing another will make the one that has been out the longest disappear. If both your waddles are in hitstun, you cannot throw another.

WADDLE DEES

Dedede's waddles are what you want to focus on when using side b, as both waddle dees and waddle doos have similar aspects and the highest chance of being thrown. A thrown Waddle dee will deal 5% damage, and a low amount of knockback. Waddle dees and Waddle doos will only deal damage when they are thrown or attacking, and will damage each other. After being thrown out, Waddle dees will wander around and sometimes jump until they despawn. When a Waddle dee jumps, he acts as a projectile of sorts, dealing 8% damage. Waddle dees will jump at random while on the ground. Both waddle dees and waddle doos can be rethrown by pressing a while near them, pressing z while near them in the air, or air dodging into them.

Waddle Dee
WADDLE DOOS

Waddle doos are very similar to waddle dees, besides a few important differences:
  • A thrown waddle doo does about 7% damage
  • Instead of jumping, a waddle doo will use a beam attack. If this attack fully connects, It will do about 15-20% damage.
  • After 3 beam attacks, they will usually disappear
A Waddle doo's beam attack allows for very easy follow ups and can damage people while they are in a grab.

Waddle Doo

GORDOS

Gordo's will not be seen too often, but are very different than waddles. They act as a projectile the whole time they are out, will not disappear over time, have great kill potential, they cannot be rethrown, and disappear upon hit. When they hit the ground or a wall, they will bounce, and when hitting another surface after bouncing, they will disappear. They also have a very different arc then waddles and will be thrown further distances. They are also seem very floaty when thrown. Upon contact, they will deal about 22% damage. If a gordo hits a waddle, the gordo will disappear, and in most cases, that waddle will fly to the blast zone and disappear.

Gordo

THROWS

There are two different ways to throw waddles/gordos out of side b and 3 different angles for each. Tilt throws, done by inputting the side b as a tilt, and normal throws, done by inputting side b as a smash. You can then angle these throws by tilting the stick up or down during the side b, allowing you to throw straight, upward, or downward. These options remain in the air. The throw is also faster in the air than on the ground.

TILT THROWS

Tilt throws are the shortest throws Dedede can do. I find them to be good for stage control and projectile shields against certain characters, and in the air, they set up for waddle dashes very well. An upward tilt throw on the ground can act as a sort of anti-air that remains close to you, a downward throw is good if you want to have a waddle close to you for protection and waddle dashing, but straight throws are usually better to input as a normal throw instead of a tilt. In the air, the straight and downward throws work very well for spacing and stopping an opponents approach. Any rethrow Dedede does will be a tilt throw.

straight tilt throw

upward tilt throw

downward tilt throw

aerial straight tilt throw

aerial upward tilt throw

aerial downward tilt throw
SMASH THROWS (NORMAL THROW)

This is the throw I generally use the most in neutral game and combos. It's length allows for excellent spacing and lets you set up waddles further down the stage for even more stage control. Upward throws serve a similar purpose to it's tilt throw version, just for a further distance and can even be used to stop air camping opponents. Straight throw is your best grounded option for a projectile and spacing, and downward serves a similar purpose to it's tilt variant. In the air, I find that retreating downward is excellent for stopping approach and escaping, and upward and stright throws serve the same purpose in the air that they do on the ground.

straight smash throw

upward smash throw

downward smash throw

aerial straight smash throw

aerial upward smash throw

aerial downward smash throw

RE-THROWS

If a waddle is on the ground or in the air, you can throw it again without taking another out. There are 3 types of rethrows: An "A" toss, a "Z" toss, and most importantly, a waddle dash. An "A" toss is performed by simply pressing A (or whatever button you have mapped to attack) close to a grounded waddle. A "Z" toss is performed by pressing Z near a waddle in the air. A waddle dash is performed by air dodging into a waddle. All rethrows throw the waddle again as a tilt throw, and they are thrown much faster than a normal side b.

A TOSS

an A toss is probably the least useful of all rethrows. The only application I have found for it is comboing larger and heavier characters like Bowser, Charizrd, and even Dedede himself. It can be used to stop approach when someone is close to you, but waddle dashing tends to be the best option there. This can be angled the same as a tilt.

straight "A" toss.

*Note: you can still angle this as you would a normal tilt throw, but i'm lazy and didn't record the rest

Z TOSS

This was recently brought to my attention by Metamato's thread about this found here. He summed this up quite well, and I myself haven't had much practice with this at all, so It's worth looking at what he found as it's definitely more information than I can give. Basically, it can be use as an "A" toss in the air, but also has other potential. If you jump with a waddle in front of you and press z as you rise off of the ground, you can maintain your vertical momentum and throw the waddle. This is VERY good for setting up waddle dashes and escaping some situations.

straight z toss

downward z toss

downward z toss

straight rising z toss

upward rising z toss

downward rising z toss

WADDLE DASHING

This is the big one, and really the main reason I made this guide. Waddle dashing is arguably Dedede's best tool, as it allows recovery, approach, and retreat, all well throwing a waddle for a projectile. Waddle dashing is performed by air dodging into a waddle, whether they are on the ground or in the air. When you do this, Dedede will rethrow the waddle while keeping all of his momentum from the air dodge. This is because to Dedede, waddles act similar to items, except they cannot be held, so are instantly thrown. In Project M, air dodging into an item allows you to grab it, so Dedede grabs the waddle as an item and throws it, but keeps his momentum. You'll get the most momentum if you do this in the air, as you will not hit the ground to stop. To compensate for this, the higher you air dodge into a waddle on the ground, the further you'll travel. Keep in mind that you can only carry over horizontal momentum, so air dodging into the waddle diagonally will give you less distance, and air dodging straight up or straight down will bring all your momentum to a halt. The best way to set up for these is to either use a waddle on the ground or jump and tilt throw a waddle upward, then jump again and air dodge into it. When waddle dashing, the Waddle will still be thrown as a tilt, and as always, can be angled. If you angle a waddle straight or up after an aerial waddle dash, you can jump to air dodge into it again. If you angle it downward, however, you can dash into it again without exhausting a jump. If you do this method, you will move diagonally downward, but if you use jumps, you will move generally straight. You can also set up waddle dashes extremely well with a rising z toss. Another option, mainly for mix ups, is to b-reverse a tilt throw and waddle dash into it (Thanks to OnFullTilt for b-reverse idea).

basic waddle dash

backwards waddle dash

basic aerial waddle dash from upward tilt throw

double waddle dash in same jump

double waddle dash in separate jumps

rising z toss waddle dash

rising z toss double waddle dash

b-reversed waddle dash

b-reversed waddle dash back

RECOVERY

Waddle dashing is Dedede's best recovery tool to cover horizontal distance. As stated previously, You can exhaust your jumps in order to gain more horizontal distance, or preserve them in going diagonal (twords the ledge in most cases). When using up b (Super Dedede Jump) out of a waddle dash, you will keep your momentum until Dedede commences the jump, so you don't always have to waddle dash twice in order to recover. This is known as the Super DUPER Dedede jump as coined by NTFSmasher. Keep this in mind, especially when recovering low, to avoid getting trapped under the stage. You can also waddle dash backwards after going forward for mix ups. I recommend doing the backwards dash if you are already over the stage, as you won't always be able to get back to the stage if you do this.

waddle dashing for recovery

waddle dash backward mix up

waddle dash into up b
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Will continue when I have examples of approach and retreat with waddle dashing and possibly more sections/edits based on suggestions

Last edited:

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
King Dedede's UpB is called the Super Dedede Jump.

I have previously coined and like to refer to the Waddle Dash into UpB as the "Super Duper Dedede Jump", which can be seen here as another example!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkdziZj0jNE&list=UUNiiuB8dsaFjfEBCeaw5zig

But anyways, this is a good writeup and I hadn't learned about throwing waddles using Z, so now I'm going to have to try that!

Last edited:

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
Last edited:

AlmightySo

Smash Apprentice
King Dedede's UpB is called the Super Dedede Jump.

I have previously coined and like to refer to the Waddle Dash into UpB as the "Super Duper Dedede Jump", which can be seen here as another example!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkdziZj0jNE&list=UUNiiuB8dsaFjfEBCeaw5zig

But anyways, this is a good writeup and I hadn't learned about throwing waddles using Z, so now I'm going to have to try that!
Not a DDD main but saw this thread. This is really cool tho.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Oh wow I was thinking of going pure Luigi but this thread alone makes me want to keep my Dedede secondary.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
I should have just kept my Smashboards name as NFT, but at the time I created the account, it felt too short for a sign-in name. But anyways, I've been going by NFT despite NFTsmasher being my smashboards name fyi.

Thanks for the credit! :)

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
So I could be wrong (I'm on mobile so I can't verify, sorry) but it seems that there is a technique you didn't mention. While in midair you can b reverse a waddle toss while throwing it upwards and then use it to waddle dash like normal. It seems like this may be useful for positioning, flipping yourself around, or dancing around an enemy (I use it to avoid re spawn invincibility sometimes).

You might also want to list staple moves to use with waddle dashes such as: waddle dash to UTIlt to platform poke, waddle dash to grab (useful if they shield), or waddle dash offstage into bair/fair to edgeguard.

Last edited:

Key Chain

Smash Cadet
While in midair you can b reverse a waddle toss while throwing it upwards and then use it to waddle dash like normal.
when I first read this I misunderstood it for recovering with a normal waddle dash going forward and then b-reversing a waddle toss in a way that lets you waddle dash again without using another jump. the b-reverse waddle toss would be similar to Ripple's famous b-reverse Swallow post waddle dash in case any of you guys had trouble understanding me or visualizing it.

oh and btw OnFullTilt, when I read your post correctly the second time I wasnt disappointed. that actually sounds cool and I cant wait to try it :)
EDIT: lol not that I was supposed to be disappointed. I kinda sounded like a skeptical father who was proven wrong. I didnt want it to come out that way. lol my bad

Last edited:

AlmightySo

Smash Apprentice
when I first read this I misunderstood it for recovering with a normal waddle dash going forward and then b-reversing a waddle toss in a way that lets you waddle dash again without using another jump. the b-reverse waddle toss would be similar to Ripple's famous b-reverse Swallow post waddle dash in case any of you guys had trouble understanding me or visualizing it.

oh and btw OnFullTilt, when I read your post correctly the second time I wasnt disappointed. that actually sounds cool and I cant wait to try it :)
EDIT: lol not that I was supposed to be disappointed. I kinda sounded like a skeptical father who was proven wrong. I didnt want it to come out that way. lol my bad
Is this keychain from nebulous?

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus

Haha, you don't need to worry, it is very difficult to offend me. If anyone can find a way to do what you thought Dedede would look insane in the air and it would be hilarious.

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
So I could be wrong (I'm on mobile so I can't verify, sorry) but it seems that there is a technique you didn't mention. While in midair you can b reverse a waddle toss while throwing it upwards and then use it to waddle dash like normal. It seems like this may be useful for positioning, flipping yourself around, or dancing around an enemy (I use it to avoid re spawn invincibility sometimes).

You might also want to list staple moves to use with waddle dashes such as: waddle dash to UTIlt to platform poke, waddle dash to grab (useful if they shield), or waddle dash offstage into bair/fair to edgeguard.

I plan on putting the follow ups into the guide into the guide when I have real gameplay footage of me doing that and not just training mode stuff. Also, credit given =P

Key Chain

Smash Cadet
After about a month of playing this game at tournaments with no console at home to practice and goof around, my brother finally let me borrow his Wii! :joyful:

problem here is that my TV still sucks and I dont have a good way of recording stuff so I'll post my new discovery here in written form and hopefully the OP can replicate it and record it himself! sorry ahead of time if its sloppy or hard to read and understand but here goes my silly little discovery which btw I dont know if it'll be useful or not but maybe it can be just for fun.

it involves doing an upward rising Z-toss on a grounded Waddle Dee/Doo then Waddle Dashing forward with a downward toss and then doing a second Waddle dash with a forward toss in the same jump as the first Waddle Dash and then immediately doing a rising Z-toss again after hitting the floor to allow yourself to repeat the process.

my hope is that if this particular technique isnt useful, some variation of it can be viable. I'll try doing it in tournament regardless though. let me know what you guys think. :)

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
After about a month of playing this game at tournaments with no console at home to practice and goof around, my brother finally let me borrow his Wii! :joyful:

problem here is that my TV still sucks and I dont have a good way of recording stuff so I'll post my new discovery here in written form and hopefully the OP can replicate it and record it himself! sorry ahead of time if its sloppy or hard to read and understand but here goes my silly little discovery which btw I dont know if it'll be useful or not but maybe it can be just for fun.

it involves doing an upward rising Z-toss on a grounded Waddle Dee/Doo then Waddle Dashing forward with a downward toss and then doing a second Waddle dash with a forward toss in the same jump as the first Waddle Dash and then immediately doing a rising Z-toss again after hitting the floor to allow yourself to repeat the process.

my hope is that if this particular technique isnt useful, some variation of it can be viable. I'll try doing it in tournament regardless though. let me know what you guys think. :)
I can't really find a way to make the second rep of this useful as it's slower than just using your jumps in the first z toss or just waddle dashing after, but I hadn't realized that you can actually waddle dash twice in the same jump with a z toss, so that's definitely going in, thanks!

Top Bottom