• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Grab

YellowTorpedo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm still new to smash, and as such, I'm learning new tech every day. I recently learned about Jump-Cancelled Grabs, and how useful they can be. But I was wondering, does this technique apply to Yoshi, too? I feel like his running grab is pretty good. Is there any advantage to JCing it?

the man

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, JCing Yoshi's grabs isn't that useful in most cases of tech chasing, mainly due to JCing reducing the overall range Yoshi can cover with his dash grab.

It's too good, maybe using it in really specific situations but other than that I'm not sure about a use for it.

didds

Smash Lord
For the most part you'll want to stick to dash grabs and pivot grabs. If I remember right, pivot grab is identical to standing grab in almost everyway except that it has less end lag.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Because Yoshi's dash grab covers so much more range and isn't slower than his standing grab, jump canceling a grab is basically pointless on our favorite dino. You'll wanna dash grab and pivot grab. And did I mention pivot grab? You should pivot grab....

Pivot grab.

didds

Smash Lord
Yoshi arguably has the best pivot grab in the game. Low lag, good range, long lasting grab frames, the works.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
How do you pivot grab?
You can pivot grab by running, then turning around and pressing Z at the same time. You have to press Z and turnaround at most 3 frames later.

Pivot grab out of a dash is a bit harder. You can hit Z then turn around within 3 frames, or turn around then hit Z within 1 frame. In general it's better to try hitting Z first so there's no messing up.

didds

Smash Lord
I like to think of the timing as a jump cancel grab. Instead of the jump and then grab input though, replace with the grab and then turnaround input.

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
In general it's better to try hitting Z first so there's no messing up.
Oh, so that's what I've been doing wrong. No wonder pivot grabbing seemed so hard. Thanks for the tip!

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Yoshi arguably has the best pivot grab in the game. Low lag, good range, long lasting grab frames, the works.
lol, you guys doubted me back in the day when I said this. Are all of yall believers now?

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Standing grab: Awful.
Dash grab: Eh, too much ending lag.
Pivot grab: Godly.

But seriously, I highly recommend you NEVER use the normal grab, let alone a JC grab. Any situation where you could use it, the pivot grab outclasses it in every way possible.

The best use I found for the pivot grab is in a dash dance based neutral game. Wait for your opponent to extend too close, and you weave just outside of his range and pivot grab.

Top Bottom