• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's chainthrow

Dinolover

Smash Rookie
Have you ever tried to chaintrow with Yoshi?
It's quite possible at low %, you juste have to time it right!
I haven't got the time to try it on my friends but a level 9 Fox has to get around 40% before being able to DI away. As i said, you have to time it right or else it'll leave you open but still it seems to be a nice move to play a litle with your opponent.

Anyone noticed that before? Or even tried it in a game?

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Don't base combo validity on CPUs, they generally have either amazing DI or (in most cases) horrible DI. I'm guessing you are talking about down throw? You can DI at any %, the only way that this chain grab would work is if the other person did not DI completely left or right. Then again I may not have the reaction time to do it properly.

I think that it's more practical to just down throw uair juggle or something like that.

Dinolover

Smash Rookie
Yup, i'm talking about down throw and i think that even at low % it's possible to do it even if the opponent DI completly.

And I'm sure it's more practical to down throw juggle etc but it makes some variance and nothing stops you to juggle on the second grab!

First who tries it with friends wins...

.Marik

is a social misfit
I don't think it works effectively if the opponent DI's out of it...

You want to Chaingrab? Play Brawl.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Forward throw on floaties at low % works maybe once if they don't expect it.
I'd say chaining down throw is very impractical because there's so little room for user error with the weird spacing of the grab and the strict timing.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Mind Trick has the right of it.

Stick to forward throw on floaties like Peach and maybe light-midweights. Yoshi's throws do no damage, anyway, so you want to focus more on what you can chain out of a throw instead of trying to get another grab, which puts you at ridiculous risk when you miss.

Melee is very much a game about playing perfectly these days; I hope I'm not being a prude when I say that investing in such a high risk, low reward tactic is not a good idea, even if it does work.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too sure about this, but is it possible to djc nair -> grab or ftilt -> grab? Might have to throw in a WD to connect them.

It's somewhat difficult to land grabs with yoshi, but it would be worth it if you could set it up.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oh, you can most definitely dash grab after a DJC neutral air and it's a great addition to his low damage game.

At 0% on Fox/Falco, you can do forward air, land, DJC neutral air to dash grab. From there, the idea is to juggle with up airs if you can keep up with their DI. Later on down the line around 105% on these same characters, you can connect up tilts into standing and pivot grabs with relatively decent timing. The idea is to lead from that into immediate death by way of either down+B for Fox or neutral air for Falco. This is provided, of course, that you keep up with the DI out of the throws.

Don't get me wrong; leading into grabs and leading out of grabs is good with Yoshi. It's just that going from one grab into another is often futile and almost assuredly not worth the risk.

holywhack

Smash Apprentice
for floaties, such as peach- what should I do after a forward throw?
for fast fallers- what to do after up throw? ftilts and utilts?

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Generally against peach/jigs the safest thing would be to do a forward throw followed by an egg. If the egg connects you might be able to follow up with an aerial, or just throw more eggs.

Up throw isn't as effective as a down throw due to less hit stun. But if you find them above you, uptilts and djc uairs are pretty effective. If they DI away you can try ftilts to pop them back in the air to try and start some juggle combos.

Riddle

Smash Lord
@holywack
Against floaties you are going to want to get under them so dup-throw/down-throw to eggs/uair is generally good. Most characters have a blind spot under them so getting them above you and then juggling is almost always a good idea. If you f-throw just egg them since you will be hard pressed to find any other follow-up.

IF you manage to grab a fastfaller (shield grab f-smash or something) you can usually up-throw to up-smash/uair into more juggling with uair/uptilt. Once they are at high percentages from juggling attempt to get them off-stage (nair) and proceed to edgeguard.

Top Bottom