• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshis approach

D

Deleted member

What are the best ways to approach with yoshi. I normally run a defensive yoshi, but id like to know more ways to approach the opponent. I know you can DJCC, and CC, or run blindly into the fray and get killed. Besides the first two,. what other good approaches does Yoshi have?

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
I believe it really depends on which character you're talking about. Characters who specialize in long range are best handled with a face-to-face approach. Get right up on them, shield when needed, then counter. Close range characters can be sniped from afar after blowing them away from you via dsmash, dtilt, or something else. Since Yoshi's more balanced (as in, lack of surprisingly broken areas) than most characters, knowing your opponents' strengths and weaknesses will reveal your strategies to you indirectly.

My example is my tactics vs a Fox. Though he's usually in my face drillshining or uthrow-uair (where the second hit can be avoided by DI'ing repeatedly left and right.....thanks Toasty! :D ), when you land a throw or a dtilt, you can take advantage of the stall time via combo or tech chasing. In other words, charge in knowing what may happen, then stay close while trying to set up for wreckage is my strategy vs a Fox. But, that's just the Foxes I've faced. It's best to find out for yourself, IMO.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Egg sniper pretty much said it all, it depends on character and opponent's playstyle.

The best thing to do at least to start with is to make any approaches unshieldgrabbable. That includes f-airing them and tapping neutral A/d-tilt/u-tilt/etc before their grab comes out, or b-airing and f-tilting just as you land. After you master this, you should be not shield grabbed about 80% of the time, and your opponent must use other defensive tactics (or offensive ones) to counter it.

Top Bottom