• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs Captain Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Yo. I really want to explore this match up a bit more. the guide doesnt really say too much. The worst thing about this fight to me, is the knee. it loves to steal the dj and destroys yoshi with its trajectory. So im gonna throw out some things and you guys should tell me whats best.

1)options to stop a cfalcon
a)Tilt wise- the dtilt is dangerous in this match unless you're shield pressuring or edge guarding. The utilt however has uses. do you guys know if it has enough priority to stop a knee/nair approach? I have seen it happen sometimes and sometimes not. The ftilt is amazing in this fight and i think it stops his aerials well when tilted up.
b) Aerial wise- The nair will either tie or stop everything he has besides the bair and uair(Cfalcs uair has crazy priority) but you have to come in from the top or bottom against CFs nair. against the knee tho you will most likely tie unless you catch him in the startup lag. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TIE WITH THE KNEE. if you can djcc his knee with a nair then good for you. Yoshis dair will get uaired thru and his bair will usually lose to any of cfs moves. BUT the bair is the best option to start a combo. the best time to do it is right after he aerials or misses a grab. so be wise with the bair. the uair will beat anything he got (cept a well timed stomp?) so if you can get under his air approach and uair you can begin a combo there. the fair is only semi useful in this match. cfs nair/knee will destroy it every time so be careful. you can tech chase and and punish his missed stomp with this if you time well. but mostly i would avoid approaching with it.
c)Eggs- on stage are not effective unless he's in a combo. CF is too fast and can avoid the eggs with relative ease. Offstage and ECE are not bad here if youre sure of youre own safety.
d)offstage- when falcon goes offstage he shouldnt get back. You can jump out and nair/fair/bair him if he doesnt expect it. or just play it safe and dsmash or dtilt on the edge.
e) Smash moves-when trying to place smashes against CF you have to be real careful. if you miss you will get grabbed and then kneed and youll die. If he is above you on a platform its USUALLY safe to usmash. it will either go thru or tie with his stomp. clashing with his stomp is fine here bcuz you can recover quickly and the platform protects you from above. The usmash can also be thrown into combos quite well agianst cf. Yoshis fsmash is a little harder to place. the best way to do this is to WD/dash(if you have time, bcuz of cfs speed its hard to do this) backwards and then immediately fsmash. the pullback will act as a spotdodge and you can catch him in his aerial lag. do this sparingly. if the cf catches on to this he'll dj and wait out the smash then drop a knee on your face. The dsmash is yoshi most effective and most dangerous smash to use. when CF gets hit by this and mid/high percentages he will go flying offstage in his death angle(towards lower corners) and you can follow up with an easy edge guard. the problem is that if you miss, you will pay for it with, you guessed it, a knee. so use this ONLY when you are sure of a hit. a neat trick i like to do is making my bair go thru cf so i land behind him and then dsmash. it will work most of the time with low risk of punishment. you can also dtilt here as well.
f) grabs-dont bother. Falcons rarely stay on the ground and trying to get him after an aerial 99% of the time you'll miss and and get...kneed. YOU CANNOT SHIELD GRAB FALCON EVER. unless the player sucks. so dont bother.
g)recovering against cf-getting back onstage will be rough. his knee loves to crack that super armor. if you can i would avoid recovering from below. the stomp wil get you. the safest way is from really high. when you can mix in the downb and airdodge more effectively. if youre on the edge avoid the jump recovery. stick with rolling on or hitting him with a b recovery. the ece can work here just be sure to time well.

Ok that bout sums it up for me. The things i REALLLLLLLY want to explore are the tilts vs. his aerials. if yoshi can break his aerial approach with his tilts consistently i feel like this match can be more easily won. So give me some feedback Yoshi playaz(especially on the tilts)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I kinda left the Peach thread alone because it looked like it was gonna die pretty soon, but...

...please try to make use of our stickied matchup hub. It has links for all topics on all matchups discussed so far. You have new information you want to share or update information you think is old? Post in the thread; the matchup threads here are designed to last--you cannot necro these because they're intended to live for as long as the game is played.

For future reference, for everyone who can see this, please use the old matchup threads for whatever you need and feel free to post in them to revive discussion! Thank you.

P.S. - The Captain Falcon matchup thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom