• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Young Link

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's that time again, ladies and gentlemen.

So, I had this huge (even for me) post here about Yoshi versus Young Link. It seems SmashBoards has finally taken out its frustration on me by not letting me post anything over three lines long. With that said, I'll try to cover what I had in my original post on the matchup. This is just for some fun discussion, as I doubt this matchup occurs very often.

Yoshi has:
-No spacing issues to deal with
-Raw strength; Yoshi is like Peach is this area of the matchup
-No real reliable edgeguards

Young Link has:
-No projectile setups into KO moves (due to double jump)
-Strong, spammable neutral air and tilts
-Lots of WD back to _____ setups

Let me hear what you guys think. Discuss! ^_^

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
this reminds me alot of when I would play my friend chip lol.What I will try to do now is when I DJC a fair or uair I would follow it up with an utilt,dsmash.This matchup can give me problems because of those projectiles if they hit right because it can stun me and he could follow up with a dair or some utilts at a low percent.I usually like to dair him when he's vulnerable for a kill.Egg spamming works from a distance whenever I face him.so yah this matchup can difficult because of those projectiles I have to deal with if his nair can break through my 2nd jump I can't air dodge it except if I just remain neutral in the air.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
All those y.link projectiles wreck your approach with Yoshi. I find using a mix of triangle jumps and DJCs to weave through the mess of stuff flung at you isn't bad, but you still really have to work to get in close. I really like dtilt to setup techchases, and you can cc nearly all his attacks at mid to low %. Stages with platforms help a lot. Not only does it get in the way of projectiles, it gives yoshi more movement options with wavelanding. BF and YS are ideal for this because it forces you into close quarters.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anti-projectile mindgames.

Most Y.Link players rely on the super angling of that boomerang. Jump towards him, then DJC and fall straight down. Then you can dash grab or wavedash into something, because the boomerang is going above you. Fun fun.

N-air spam is countered by properly spaced CCing. Or if you're awesome DJCing.

Watch for the projectile to up-air to KO move combos tho Shiri. They're nasty. A smart Y.Link will use up-air to cancel DJ and then n-air you off the stage. Or there's that bouncing d-air giving problems too.

Avoid close range boomerang hits and times when you have to approach recklessly.

That's my opinion on the matchup.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oh, I've never got up air'd to KO move before. Sounds nasty. o_o

Yeah, close range boomerangs are suck. So are his grabs and up tilt. Ugh.

Oh, I just remembered...if they do a downsmash and it misses, DO NOT try to run up to them while they're still completing the move, ROFL. The hitbox on that second swing is beastly, hahaha!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I try to stay as up close and grounded as possible here.

I find when I short hop or DJC anything, I get WD-back-to-boomerang'd or something equally dumb. When it comes down to it, Young Link is just too frail and Yoshi is just too strong. Young Link's back air can mess stuff up a lil, though (read: a lot).

-PM-

Smash Ace
well iv never really played a good young link (one decent one) and i messed him up really bad so i really wouldnt know what to do against him =/

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Ouch, ROFL.

So what do you guys think about the grab matchup here? I think Yoshi is easier to grab, but Young Link can't do too much out of them. He's also kinda difficult to get your hands (tongue?) on, but you're almost always guaranteed a strong move or at least a setup out of them.

-PM-

Smash Ace
:yoshi: Ouch, ROFL.

So what do you guys think about the grab matchup here? I think Yoshi is easier to grab, but Young Link can't do too much out of them. He's also kinda difficult to get your hands (tongue?) on, but you're almost always guaranteed a strong move or at least a setup out of them.
dthrow - fair - dtilt works pretty good against him IMO but young link is pretty hard to grab hes small quick and throws to much stuff at you (well it depends on the other persons playing style) but if he plays with out all the throwing stuff then he has pretty good grab game

technomancer

Smash Champion
YL should always be in the air here right? I'm not a big fan of grabs in this matchup, I'd just stick to wd downsmash at the same spacing.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
YL should always be in the air here right? I'm not a big fan of grabs in this matchup, I'd just stick to wd downsmash at the same spacing.
Nah not entirely, against yoshi you will find ylink to be more dependant on using projectiles to setup into air attacks. Anyway his projectiles aren't too hard to avoid..just jab his boomerang away..move away from bombs+arrows or just catch the bombs..whatever. Yoshi is one of the hardest to edgeguard in my opinion.

-PM-

Smash Ace
Nah not entirely, against yoshi you will find ylink to be more dependant on using projectiles to setup into air attacks. Anyway his projectiles aren't too hard to avoid..just jab his boomerang away..move away from bombs+arrows or just catch the bombs..whatever. Yoshi is one of the hardest to edgeguard in my opinion.
jab boomerang, catch bomb, and powershield arrows =D works perfectly for me everytime OH!! and yoshi can be extremely easy to edgeguard. lets say you up against falco SHL mess up you double jump - spike... this has happened to me alot of times. or gannons uair can sometimes stop yoshis 2nd jump which makes him a easy kill to some characters

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
wen u sed projectiles have no setups, theres:
bomb-drop to _air
sometimes the firebow can edgeguard if it hits, setting it so u can Downtilt (Meteor Smash)
right now im not sure about the Bommerang cuz i havent played smash in 2 days:(
but yea...there u go
dont take this the wrong way tho, i use Yoshi sometimes for fun. im pretty sure Yoshis downtilt is an alrite edgeguard tho

Top Bottom