• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Playstyle Question

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
So I understand that Yoshi is somewhat a jack of all trades, but master of none, and with such they are able to change up their play style in several ways. I've heard that there are 3 different ones, Aggressive, Technical, and Defensive. I feel that going over the general playstyles would also help new players grasp what how they'd like to play and give them a step in the right direction.

Could somebody help go over with me how to utilize these individual play styles?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Theres also a trade/reward, patient, zoning and some others.

I may go over the aggresive and trading playstyle but I can't for now. Interested on what people will post.

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
Hm, i never heard those playstyles. I just assumed they floated into the 3 i listed as basic ones people need to implement into their general style.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I would say there's 3 types: patient, hasty and campy.

Hasty is generally attacking a lot either getting trades,getting reads and applying pressure. I think I struggle in this playstyle a lot in general, so maybe someone else can chime in with more on how to play like that.

Patient is attacking less frequently, either zoning with movement and jumps, throwing out low committal attacks like Jab, Fair, Dtilt, etc. The goal is mainly to wait for your opportunity to capitalize on your opponent choosing something unsafe or finding a pattern.

Lastly there's campy, which is just what it sounds like. if you can outmaneuver your opponent well enough that they can't chase you, and then just lob eggs constantly (if they can't punish it). There are important things to know about camping: Projectiles are addons (at least in our case), you must be able to get away from being cornered. Camping does not involve only running away. If you see them go for some desperate laggy move you punish it (% is %), and that leads to the last point. Camping only works if you have the % or stock lead, and the bigger the lead the bigger the threat.

ofc I have the most to say about camping lmao

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Theres 3 basics but plenty of other styles. You cant forget the FG yoshi style too lmao.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Camping only works if you have the % or stock lead, and the bigger the lead the bigger the threat.
This isn't entirely true. You can camp for as long as you'd like, given you make the switch over when the time limit becomes a constraint on your actions. If you're behind (mainly in percent), camping still works so long as you're tacking on more damage than they are. It's a long grind to catch up, but it can work. This still works for a stock deficit, but can be less ideal if you're still making trades.

For an example, see Game 1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3Ed-XuiY0

The general idea of camping when you're behind is like "well, they have to kill me to win, so if I can close the gap through safe projectiles I can bring it back without losing stocks in the meantime."

Last edited:

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
Rolling and dash attack?
Rolling and Smash attack.

Mostly smash attack. They're hoping the lag will compensate for their terrible move choice and you won't be able to punish before they throw out the next smash attack/down-B.

I wouldn't really cover it though. How to beat it sure, but it's not something we want people to emulate.

Top Bottom