• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi on ice!!

LittleKey

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that after a short hop, Yoshi slides A LOT when he hits the ground. I was playing my friend (and I don't play Yoshi that much) but I started comboing him like crazy just by short hopping back and forth, mostly bairing and nairing. He slides so much that you can chain together short hopped bairs without losing any momentum between them. My question is, how useful is this extreme sliding? I know it's fun, and it's the reason I'm going to start playing Yoshi more. But is it actually useful? I was hurting my friend a lot just by short hopping back and forth without losing momentum, but I don't know how well it would work against really good players. Sorry, this is probably common knowledge, but I just wanted to bring some attention to this awesome trait of our favorite (and only) green non-extinct dinosaur.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
Well, sure. You saw the results yourself. It helps keep you close to your opponent after a Bair so that you can continue comboing. I haven't thought about this as directly, but I guess it's just something that I've subconsciously used.

Bwett

Smash Ace
There are alot of little things that a yoshi main just instinctively knows about him that you don't think about. It's similar to the small delay after the peak of your second jump where you stall at that height before falling that no other character has. But yeah, those abilities are partly the reason why yoshi is able to string things together so well with minimum effort.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
All right, here's my explanation:
Yoshi is one of the few characters (perhaps the only one) that has almost the same speed in the air as he does on the ground. Because of that, he tends to retain a constant momentum whenever he's moving in any particular direction. This means that he can chase opponents better because a hit in the air will put them in a position where he can hit them on the ground without resorting to things like dash attacks like most other characters.
Probably a little more in-depth than you wanted but hey, whatever.

EggZavier

Smash Rookie
All right, here's my explanation:
Yoshi is one of the few characters (perhaps the only one) that has almost the same speed in the air as he does on the ground. Because of that, he tends to retain a constant momentum whenever he's moving in any particular direction. This means that he can chase opponents better because a hit in the air will put them in a position where he can hit them on the ground without resorting to things like dash attacks like most other characters.
Probably a little more in-depth than you wanted but hey, whatever.
wow good explanation.

Top Bottom