• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi CC Strategy (theory sort of)

D

Deleted member

Ello. I'm new to smash boards. Yoshi is my main. I'm not sure how this works against people (i have only done it on comps, cuz my friends werent around) and i want to think of ur opinions. This is not my main startegy (far from), but it is an idea that might work. Its probably used by some people (unless it doesn't work of course) but here is a simple yet possibly effective CC strat:

Alright, this is on final destination, cuz i was testing it there. You start off defensive, throwing some egss. ECE works too. When your opponent comes (assuming he isnt projectile spamming, in which case u can ECE until he gets fed up with u and comes after u) CC his attack then dtilt him. Quickly move foward a bit, but make sure when he gets up, he wont hit u. Do it again. You should be gaining ground, and he wont be able to do anythuing about it. if he tries to jump over u, u can utilt or uair and juggle him. If he tries to grab u, wavedash back a bit then continue. Once u get to high enough damage that u get hit too far back to CC, do what ud normally doa gainst ur opponents character. Hopefully this wont happen, because if this is pulled off, u should eventually knock ur opponent off the edge and u can use dtilt, dair, fair, or whatever edgeguarding tricks u need to finish off ur opponent. The point of this strat is to utilize Yoshi's great dtilt, CC game, and edgeguarding abilities. Remember, i havent tried this on friends yet, and it is SKETCHY! It is not a complete startegy. It works on all lvl 9 comps (not that that means much :lick:) but i think it should work on people too (with major changes) Comments would be appreciated, but please, only constructive feedback please. No "U Suck!" comments. Thanks.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Welcome to the Yoshi boards!

I remember the good old days when I started using Yoshi. This sort of technique was my bread and butter. It worked until they knew what I was doing, and then they just grabbed me. Yeah...grabbing kind of ruins this. Or if they run up and shield. And utilt and uair can't be relied on all the time if they jump over you, especially if they have good priority. Also, Ganon will break a lot of CCs easy with a dair, and then proceed to combo you. This game is way too complex for an invincible strategy to be created. Nice try though, CC definitely has a prominent place in Yoshi's game. I can see CC-->edgeguard working 2 or 3 times in a match. It's not totally worthless.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This actually works on Falco, whether anybody is willing to believe it or not.

My first KO on a Falco at Pound 2 was Final D, ten seconds in. Down tilt. CC. Down tilt.

I stopped playing after that. I didn't wanna get run out of there. >_>

D

Deleted member

Ya it probably wouldn't work after the first life, cuz they could easily coutner it. Is ganons dair better than Yoshi's? Well thanks for replying

D

Deleted member

This isn't supposed to be an invincible strategy btw. Probably doing something else in the first few lives, then suddenly switching to this strategy would catch your opponent off guard. Unpredictibilaty probably would help this strat out?

Winnar

Smash Lord
It's not a bad trick, used sparingly, but my experience has shown me it's more useful to CC into a d- or f- smash. The reason for this is that the d-tilt comes out pretty slow. The d-tilt has its uses, and this strategy works when used sparingly, but it's more of a mindgame thing than a useful technique.

Also, ECE's will get you killed if they're projectile spamming with you on the ledge; that is, unless you have ultra-god-mode ECE skills. >.>;;

Er, you shouldn't listen to me probably :( I'm a nublet, myself. D:

D

Deleted member

lol winnar ur right, many projectiles, when spammed, will kill u when ur ECEing. DOnt know wut i was thinkin there. ECE is for when they r on their way to attack. It works on soem projectiles i guess (missiles). Anyways, i think dtilt comes out fast, if u CC something u can take advantage of their lag (smashes have more lag, but dtilt is fast enough to take advantage of shorter lag too). Dtilt also has pretty good priority. And ur right, it shouldnt be a full strategy. Maybe just something to start out with, or to be a little less predictable.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Shiri hit it right on the space animal's butt. Fox moreso than Falco, since his recovery can only barely make it back to the stage when hit FROM ON THE STAGE. After he's off, another Dtilt seals the deal.
Bloshi hit another good point. CC doesn't work all the time. Fatter, harder hitters will cause you to reconsider FAST.

Other characters, however, like Jigglypuff, Peach and other floaties will NOT be so easily defeated. Also, this seems to assume that they do not tech this attack. They could very easily techroll towards you, causing this seemingly awesome chain of events to break unexpectedly.

Dtilts, however, are not terrible. Oh heavens, they are far from it! Mix up your game with them. They do decent damage, launch a pretty set distance no matter what %. Both of which gives your Yoshi a little breather or prevent the opponent from doing his/her chain. (Chaingrab? Not if you see it coming first :) )

Oh....ECE.....I don't recommend it. It's gotten me into more trouble than it's worth.

D

Deleted member

Ya the more i think about it, the more i think about how this CC strat is bettr used not alone, but mixed in with everything else. As for ECE, it used to mess me up, but at the right time, it can rack up 20+ damage fast. Not bad for edgeguarding, if u know what to do (learnt it from watching fumi vids)

D

Deleted member

Lol i tried this on my friend... I died. He pretty much avoided every attack after the first few and killed me. There goes my theory :p :urg:

Winnar

Smash Lord
LOL I tried out your strategy and the opposite happened. I almost always was able to either use this to start a combo or get them all the way off the edge (not the greatest edgeguard in most situations).

Maybe I'm overstating its usefulness, but since you suggested this strategy (and I noted that the u-tilt is worth trying every once in a while) I have magically become a better Yoshi player. >_> Whereas before I always lost (Every time. Usually 2 or 3 stocked even.) I now 2 stock my bro most of the time. XD

Maybe it's just been a lucky two days, but I hope it's not D: I'll tell you tomorrow after I play other people :O

D

Deleted member

:laugh: Thats interesting. I guess ur bro didnt realize after the 100th time that u r doing the same thing over and over. It works sometimes, if u can get the first few off, and ur opponent doesn't tech roll, u can easily edgeguard them into oblivion. But it didnt work for me against my friends roy.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Well I didn't exactly use it a hundred times, I used it once or twice, then went into edgeguarding/combo mode. It was more of a new tactic I used to interrupt his combos and start my own.

I think he techrolled once or twice, but nothing a DJC or RDJC'd n-air can't handle. In fact if he techrolls away then it's an even better setup for the next d-tilt, assuming you're not already in the air.

D: I dunno, I'm just a nublet.

D

Deleted member

Well if it works, go ahead and use it:) Just out of curiosity, what character did ur bother/friend use against ur yoshi? PErhaps it just doesnt work on my friends roy?

D

Deleted member

For the record, i did this on him today and i owned him up :p. But last time, he would counter with his own dtilt, and he would roll and grab me. But as of today, this strat is pretty cool :p

Winnar

Smash Lord
My bro plays mostly as the Doc, and occasionally Sheik/Fox.

I dunno, it works and it doesn't. Just depends on how well/lucky I play that day.

...At least for me, that is.

Top Bottom