• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yo-Yo Tricks

red13god

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, wondering how you guys like to utilize ness's yo-yo. I usually use dsmash usually to punish rolls and try to charge/hang it off the ledge when they're recovering. Would Usmash be a better option for edge guarding? what do you guys like to do with it?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I haven't figured out its full merits with edgeguarding, but sometimes i'll downthrow spacies into a usmash yoyo instead of doing the usual uthrow djc followups. its a great way to punish a missed tech to pop someone up for ness's great vertical combo game.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I don't think the second hit of dsmash is that rewarding. The first hit totally is though. It comes out pretty fast with amazing range and it sends them in front of you with KO potential.

I still haven't found a place for usmash. I guess it's just a good OOS option? It's great for when it isn't 1v1 because you can sometimes sneak your way underneath two characters and usmash and get a double kill. Charging it can even be interesting in itself because it can stop a lot of ground based approaches and i think it combos into itself in that situation.

Bryonato

Green Hat
USmash has a really great range and is good at covering an opponent's aerial approach. Not sure how well it combos into/out of things but i am enjoying it

MaxThunder

PM Support
Doesn't really combo but gets them into the air... And stops approaches...

dashing towards opponent and rat wavedashing to down-smash for the first hit is awesome=)...

Bryonato

Green Hat
All good. If I was more well-versed with tech skills and whatnot I probably would've been able to assume what you meant.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I've tried the rar wavedash downsmash but that option hasn't worked out to me that well, and it seems worse than safer options like a plain dash attack., running usmash, or even wdash bat.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Is good as techchase sometimes... I also use it as a approaching mixup... Hitting people with the charge is alsso fun=)...

GMaster171

Smash Ace
I don't really use them often, unless I'm playing against a character who can't get around it easily (Jiggs)

Other good situations for d-smash are at the edge. If it hits them at its length (fully extended) they will be unable to ledge tech it in any circumstance, unlike bat, first hit dsmash or even Dair sometimes.

Idk, still not one of my most used attacks lol.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Gmaster, when using it on the edge, do you charge it on the edge so it teeters over, or do you hit them with the first hit or the second hit?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Unless its an obvious recovery (such as Fox's/Falco's when they are forced to overshoot), I use the second hit to knock them away. I sometimes stall recoveries out when I can using the weak hit, as its free % until he gives up recovering and dies, or you choose to do something else. Its not really fun for either party involved, but it works rofl.

The second hit is better for edge guarding because it makes it impossible to ledge tech, which aware opponents quickly pick up on against on-stage edgeguards. Because it both extends much beyond the actual edge, and has low outward knockback, they don't get nearer to the ledge (unless they were already hugging the stage). The first hit will bounce them off the stage, stage-spiking them, but someone looking out for this could probably tech it easily compared to the 2nd hit.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Does charging it and letting it go so they get hit by the second hit yield a different trajectory than just csticking it? Cause the yoyo in general confuses me with its trajectories on charge and off charge.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
No, charging the yo-yo's doesn't change where they hit the opponent. d-smash always hits opponents in the direction Ness is facing, u-smash always sends up. I'm using first and second hit to signify which side of Ness the yo-yos are on when I hit them, 2nd hit is the later part, the yo-yo is in front of Ness, sending forwards. This hit is better though its delay due the its disjoint, the low angle it hits people at, and the range. The first hit would bounce them off the stage, which may stage spike but also allows players to pick up on it and attempt ledge tech much easier.

Overall, I dont find myself using them too much, his other ground options, his OOS options and his DJC options more than often overshadow anything you would get using them.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I never realized how effective charging Usmash could be as a ledgeguard option. It When charging it over the ledge it effectively covers the ledge magnet and can set you up for other options.

Nkguy01

Smash Apprentice
If I notice that my opponent is chasing me I'll usually run away with my back to him or her and up smash so that the last part of the attack will cover Ness from the back. Because the move is reasonably fast, you might be able to go unpunished if you miss.

Also, if you have your opponent near the ledge with you somewhat close to him or her, you might be able to punish with a downsmash. For example, if I down throw near the ledge, and the opponent techs near the ledge, instead of falling off, you might be able to punish his/her spotdodge by utilizing Ness's downsmash. The moves hitbox is around long enough that it can punish mistimed spotdodges. If you're braver, you might go for a retreating pk fire (good option if you feel like your opponent will shield) and punish appropriatley. You might also go for the charging upsmash. Those are just a few that come to mind as of now.

Bryonato

Green Hat
USmash is just a really great defensive move IMO. The hit box covers Ness' whole body and the hit box stays out even when he is retracting the yo-yo after the loop. Good for baiting out approaches and great if your opponent gets uncomfortably close and you need a "get off me" move.

CaptinMoses

Smash Cadet
I tend to stick to Ness Air/grab game if I can. A lot of his attacks are great for send people above you, and the B-air can punish like nobodies business

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
Will holding UpSmash or DownSmash near a ledge catch characters that tether? I always wondered if it will hit them when they try to reel in their tether to grab the ledge...

CaptinMoses

Smash Cadet
They still get the invun for the ledge when they reel in the tether, im pretty sure the yoyo can't catch tethers like Samus or Ivysaur, but it might be able to just clip Lucas or Link

Yoyos are pretty good control options on larger platforms, and dsmash especially is just out there for days.

They're mostly bait and edge guarding options, but there's a certain merit to making your opponent forget they exist, then nailing them with a meaty dsmash to end a tech/platform chase.

roidescacahuetes

Smash Rookie
My favorite yo-yo trick is done with the usmash ; since Ness's usmash damages while charging (like his dsmash) I like to run toward my foe, charge the usmash and release the yo-yo when my opponent is just above Ness's head. It does great damages and has an amazing range. But as some of you said before, usmash is a good attack for ledge guarding too...

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
My favorite yo-yo trick is done with the usmash ; since Ness's usmash damages while charging (like his dsmash) I like to run toward my foe, charge the usmash and release the yo-yo when my opponent is just above Ness's head. It does great damages and has an amazing range. But as some of you said before, usmash is a good attack for ledge guarding too...
Careful with this. my friends caught on to these shenanigans and now know that they can shield after a hit or two and wait for the smash and then punish me if I try to get too many hits with the charge part.

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
^ Yeah, this is very true. My friends caught on to those shenanigans as well, and now they sheild after a few hits of usmash/dsmash. Anyway, my favorite trick with those smash attacks is to dangle it off the ledge and hit oppoenents with obvious recoveries back down. Then I'll move up a litle closer and put a fsmash in their face. Works wonders against space animals and Marth/Roy if you space well.

Top Bottom