• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yellow Pikmin Combo Potential?

French Tomahawk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Captain Falcon
I main Olimar in Project M, and I used to play him a lot in Brawl, but I played Brawl non-competitively with a few friends. I don't play Brawl anymore, cause Melee and PM's game is faster, and more entertaining (IMO). I still love Olimar and am super stoked with his new build in PM, so I've been practicing like a madman trying to get good/ figure him out. I understand the uses for every Pikmin, but on the official PM website it says that Yellow Pikmin excel in combo potential. I know they electrocute people, but does that really add more hit-stun to moves? I've tested it out on some CPU's cause no one plays in my area, (to my knowledge) but it doesn't seem to effect them, has anyone else tested this? If so, what were the results?

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I main Olimar in Project M, and I used to play him a lot in Brawl, but I played Brawl non-competitively with a few friends. I don't play Brawl anymore, cause Melee and PM's game is faster, and more entertaining (IMO). I still love Olimar and am super stoked with his new build in PM, so I've been practicing like a madman trying to get good/ figure him out. I understand the uses for every Pikmin, but on the official PM website it says that Yellow Pikmin excel in combo potential. I know they electrocute people, but does that really add more hit-stun to moves? I've tested it out on some CPU's cause no one plays in my area, (to my knowledge) but it doesn't seem to effect them, has anyone else tested this? If so, what were the results?

from what i've tested it's not about the hitstun, but when you throw with them, it sets your opponent up for follow ups easier. even up throw doesn't kill with a yellow pikmin. they can however kill really easily with Fair and Bair.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
from what i've tested it's not about the hitstun, but when you throw with them, it sets your opponent up for follow ups easier. even up throw doesn't kill with a yellow pikmin. they can however kill really easily with Fair and Bair.

although now that i think about it. I'm not sure i've tried out enough options with the yellow ones. as far as testing hitstun goes that is, but their throws definately set up very well. and again, flowered yellows kill suprisingly well.

French Tomahawk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Captain Falcon
although now that i think about it. I'm not sure i've tried out enough options with the yellow ones. as far as testing hitstun goes that is, but their throws definately set up very well. and again, flowered yellows kill suprisingly well.

From my tests Red Pikmin throws perform the exact way Yellows do, but lets say Yellows throws are better to combo out of. If Yellows set up combos out of throws better, then that makes blues pretty terrible. On the site it says blues are best for grabs/throws. In my tests blues have no longer grab range than any other Pikmin, but the throws are stronger, that being said. It is much more difficult to get follow ups with blue Pikmin throws, and you can get more damage with a follow up than with just a throw. There are specific percents in where blues could be better than Yellows, or if you were trying to kill with a throw. However this still makes blues seem to be one of the worst Pikmin to have. Right now I'm thinking the best Pikmin go Purple - White - Red - Yellow/Blue (because I still don't know what Yellows do).

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
From my tests Red Pikmin throws perform the exact way Yellows do, but lets say Yellows throws are better to combo out of. If Yellows set up combos out of throws better, then that makes blues pretty terrible. On the site it says blues are best for grabs/throws. In my tests blues have no longer grab range than any other Pikmin, but the throws are stronger, that being said. It is much more difficult to get follow ups with blue Pikmin throws, and you can get more damage with a follow up than with just a throw. There are specific percents in where blues could be better than Yellows, or if you were trying to kill with a throw. However this still makes blues seem to be one of the worst Pikmin to have. Right now I'm thinking the best Pikmin go Purple - White - Red - Yellow/Blue (because I still don't know what Yellows do).

blues definately kill early with their throws, like, it's stupid. in the pikmin throw the yellows have a big arch, very good to catch aerial opponents. but other than that, yeah not too much differentiation. used to be that red pikmin specialized in dealing damage in olimar's aerials.

Nido

ily Sebby

Also yellow pikmin have the biggest hitboxes iirc so it's easier to follow up with them, red Uthrow is the best throw combo starter imo due to not sending them far at any percent so early Usmash strings come off it and Fairs at kill percents.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I know they electrocute people, but does that really add more hit-stun to moves? I've tested it out on some CPU's cause no one plays in my area, (to my knowledge) but it doesn't seem to effect them, has anyone else tested this? If so, what were the results?
Yellow pikmin have the electric effect, which has more hitstun.

Top Bottom