• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y-Links hookshot help

MunkyMan33

Smash Apprentice
I looked around and couldn't find a clear answer on how the hookshot works in the air. I press z and sometimes I hookshot and sometimes I nair. Kinda fustrating since I feel like I'm not doing anything different each time. Is there a better way to do it? Thanks.

D20

Smash Lord
You have to air-dodge first, then press 'z'. If you air-dodge forward or up, you can get closer to the side of the stage before you hookshot. Using the hookshot is an excellent means of recovering to throw off your opponent, but don't over do it. I tend to use it when my opponent is trying to edgehog. If they don't get off the edge, the hookshot will actually knock them off, and you might have a chance to edgegaurd them. You also have to get a feel for how far your hookshot will actually reach... it is nowhere near as long as Link's.

MunkyMan33

Smash Apprentice
thanks, i started to air dodge to ensure I deploy the hookshot. but is there any logic to why you sometimes throw the hookshot out using z in the air, and sometimes you nair, or other air attacks?

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion
I suggest using "L" then "A". The l button will let you doge and you can manipulate that to get further distance. Then anytime during the doge press A and the hookshot will come out. Then press a to reel yourself in.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Hmm never really knew you could use A to use the hookshot when you aerial I always pressed Z after i aerial dodged.

Evil_MARIO

Smash Rookie
When I played young link I did "L" AND "A" its a lot easier like Seed of Sorrow mentioned. ariel dodging is better then just hitting "Z" because it can bring you closer to the ledge, and those few feet can determine if you live or die. ROFL

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i myself have tried out using L + A. but ive been using Z so much that its just a habit. i usually let go of L after i airdodge and press z. and for the L+a u have to hold L.
im just more comfortable with the z hookshot.
ive recently used a new trick to throw my noobie friends off guard. whenever im on the edge, i airdodge away from the ledge, then sweetspot the hookshot and reel in. it allowed me to attack them during their lag lol. specially when a big link tries to spin attack edgeguard me

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
ive recently used a new trick to throw my noobie friends off guard. whenever im on the edge, i airdodge away from the ledge, then sweetspot the hookshot and reel in. it allowed me to attack them during their lag lol. specially when a big link tries to spin attack edgeguard me

I've done that too but not against a Link I usually do it against a shiek or CF because their fairs are powerful and they're the only ones who use their fairs a lot. But I might try using that on LInk too.

Chip.

you know what to do
thanks, i started to air dodge to ensure I deploy the hookshot. but is there any logic to why you sometimes throw the hookshot out using z in the air, and sometimes you nair, or other air attacks?
that's because after you first used your hookshot(regardless of it being "Z" or "L+A") and your opponent then hit you with one of their attacks/arial after you shot out your hook. After the hit, you apparently were knocked far enough to be able to mid-air dodge again but when you initiated your hookshot recovery nothing happened.

This is the rule that you can only, only use your hookshot ONCE in the air and that's it, even if you missed the edge grapple and an opponent hit you into byouncy. You can get back your hookshot (recovery usage-wise) as long as your feet touch the ground on the stage (holding the edge doesn't count).

I hope that solved your problem ^_^.

Top Bottom