• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

x or y l or r

Parks

Smash Cadet
I want to know which button is superior when playing fox x or y. I currently use x but can make the switch if their are added benefits for using y. And I was wondering if their is any benefits from switching all my shield stuff from l to r

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
It's what feels comfortable to you. I use y for short hopping but I use R for everything like shielding and L cancelling.

Last edited:

TakeANap

Smash Rookie
Yea its purely up to preference people call me weird all the time i l cancel , tech and do shield options with the r trigger, wave dash with the l trigger, multi shine with y, jump cancel shine with x jump with x short hop laser with x what ever is comfortable man you will get better regardless of how you use your controller just so lang as you can use it

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
The L or R button doesn't really matter. But if you wanna be really good at multishining, learn to jump with y. Personally I use R and Y for everything. With Y it's so much easier to multishine, since you don't have the big fat A button in the way. That's about it though. It's all preference, and figuring out what works best for you.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
Whatever's comfortable.

I use x and r, haven't touched y or l in a match in pretty much ever.
I also wavedash/waveshine/multishine with tap jump, so take it as you will.

Use c-stick for aerials though.

Parks

Smash Cadet
ive already switched to y and doing nairs and multishining is much better

Last edited:

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
I use both x and y., depending on where my fingers want to go, but I use l to shield, which I do not believe is the best option, because at least for me, it is difficult to l cancel shield drops using l for shield. The more optimal way is to use z for l canceling, but I use l because its what I'm comfortable with, so if something feels good to you, use it.

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
If you really want to optmize your grip, you should learn claw in the right hand.

vizayad89

Smash Rookie
The only thing I'll say about this is that I shield and wavedash on two different triggers because I feel that it makes wavedashing OoS much easier

F1SHER

scrub
Slippi.gg
FSHR#913
I like L and Y. But I play with the claw grip.
I use the same scheme and came to day as much c: all told it p much comes down to preference, though I think y does have an advantage over x, it's just not as easy to hit a unintentionally. make sure you're using c stick for aerials and if you're interested in optimizing your control scheme, it is absolutely worth learning claw. even for nonspacies claw is where it's at. and as a note: if you're using claw then y is no longer better than x it just comes down to preference once again. though y is more comfortable in my opinion. I use l over r just to even up the workload each hand has

Top Bottom