• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wow, I might not even play as Samus anymore

ummyyeeaahh

Smash Cadet
Sarcose explained how I feel exactly. When I posted this topic I didn't exactly know why I didn't like Samus that much so I just said some stuff that came to mind but what really bothers me is how she doesn't represent her Metroid self.

In Metroid, Samus uses projectiles exclusivly, she only ever attacks an enemy directly with the screw attack and shinespark which are by no means regular melee attacks. Now I know that Samus in Smash can't only use projectiles but she should definatly have them play a big part of her strategy and they were in Melee but in Brawl her strategy is to spam her bair and maybe shoot a charge shot once or twice.

Also, her size was pretty much perfect in Melee, she was tall but not that big. In Brawl she is as tall if not taller than the likes of Bowser and DK, which is just wrong.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
If the bomb recovery is harder than it was in Melee, it doesn't mean it's not in anymore. Why do people keep saying it's not in? Play the game or at least watch a vid or two.

T-major

Smash Champion
this is stupid...

you say that you love the character, because of reasons that have to do with her actual CHARACTER (looks, personality, ect.), then you turn around and say that your aren't going to use her in Brawl because she isn't as good as she used to be?... what the hell!?

why the fu*k should her performance matter if you actually like the character!? if you truly like her as a character, then you'll suck it up, stop crying, and use her anyways!

Jesus! I hate people who think that performance is the only thing that matters. it's a complete disgrace...

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Sarcose explained how I feel exactly. When I posted this topic I didn't exactly know why I didn't like Samus that much so I just said some stuff that came to mind but what really bothers me is how she doesn't represent her Metroid self.

In Metroid, Samus uses projectiles exclusivly, she only ever attacks an enemy directly with the screw attack and shinespark which are by no means regular melee attacks. Now I know that Samus in Smash can't only use projectiles but she should definatly have them play a big part of her strategy and they were in Melee but in Brawl her strategy is to spam her bair and maybe shoot a charge shot once or twice.

Also, her size was pretty much perfect in Melee, she was tall but not that big. In Brawl she is as tall if not taller than the likes of Bowser and DK, which is just wrong.
Not to say I don't understand how you guys feel. I too was very disappointed in how Samus played at first.. But the more I played, the more i started to discover her other (new) attributes which greatly adds to her mid range game (grapple, fair to uair, fair to dtilt). it's true that her missiles are toned down but they are still very useful for her long range game.

Also you must realize that pretty much all characters are recieving these nerfs (I feel for captain falcon mainers) and the only advice I can give is just play around and maybe you will find something else you like about it.

my 2 cents,
D

Red Exodus

Smash Master
this is stupid...

you say that you love the character, because of reasons that have to do with her actual CHARACTER (looks, personality, ect.), then you turn around and say that your aren't going to use her in Brawl because she isn't as good as she used to be?... what the hell!?

why the fu*k should her performance matter if you actually like the character!? if you truly like her as a character, then you'll suck it up, stop crying, and use her anyways!

Jesus! I hate people who think that performance is the only thing that matters. it's a complete disgrace...
Not everyone is a fanboy. You're overreacting, it's a new game and things have changed, when people don't like that change they move on to something else. No one cares if worship Samus like some kind of God but don't come here trying to make a big deal out of it.

I like Bowser and DK [as characters] but I don't main them, are you going to bite off my head? People play to fit their playstyle and if you can't accept that then you have issues beyond videogames.

Mullet_Power

Smash Rookie
Just to throw this out there, but maybe her ranged was nerfed because only a few characters can deflect now (since I don't think you can reflect with the shield any more). Space animals + Pit + Mario + Zelda are the only reflecting characters (iirc).

So you can sit in your own little world and cry, or you can look at the fact that you can shoot at (WAY) more characters without having to worry about getting it reflected.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Power shielding projectiles was, for the most part, insignificant in Melee.
I completely disagree. It was the crux of my game against falcos and, to a lesser extent, Links and other Sami. The entire game with/against heavy projectile usage completely changed for me when I started powershielding projectiles with sufficient consistently. I can think of several individual matches at Pound3 which were essentially decided by powershielding projectiles, including one against a Falco in my second pool who made a respectable come back to beat me when he stopped lasering.

Fr3nchD3vilDawg

Smash Rookie
DONT DROP YOUR MAIN!!! DON'T! Why the hedoublehockeystick would you do that! You said she's your fav so try her =P!

Gum

Smash Journeyman
heres the thing. samus didnt get downgraded at all. In fact, what they did was make samus a more versatile character. Her projectiles were nerfed slightly to make it so that you are not so inclined to JUST rely on those moves. In turn, they made her back air better, her down air faster and still spikes, her forward air is awesome now, AND her grapple has become a dynamic move that aids her in a variety of situations. This was my philosophy in Melee: The reason shine was so good was not simply because it could shine spike. It was good because it gave fox a large variety of options in every fight. It was a move that allowed him to do a lot of different things. What it they gave every character a move like that? Something that they could use to get a lot of different things done. Samus' grapple in Brawl is just that. It has 0 landing lag, so it combos into all of her attacks. She can do it multiple times in the air. It has good stun now, so when used with missiles can provide free damage and setups. Her power missiles arent as good, but her homing missiles are a hell of a lot more useful, and they are spammable. Because of these things, she no longer falls prey to fast characters who can get around her projectiles. Now she truly has a full arsenal.

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
the worst nerfs are her crouch cancel and downA (how it doesn't shoot the opponent behind her)

those two things completely change who she was in Melee.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Just to throw this out there, but maybe her ranged was nerfed because only a few characters can deflect now (since I don't think you can reflect with the shield any more). Space animals + Pit + Mario + Zelda are the only reflecting characters (iirc).

So you can sit in your own little world and cry, or you can look at the fact that you can shoot at (WAY) more characters without having to worry about getting it reflected.
Tangential to the discussion, but Lucas and Ness can also reflect projectiles back with their forward-smashes. According to the Ness boards, this is at least slightly easier than it was in Melee. Just a detail.

By the way, Samus was DIRTY up close in Melee. down-smash, forward-smash, and nair were all fast and strong kill moves that seemingly ate through everything. Plus, she was a tank, and floaty, thus hard to kill. I don't feel sorry for Samus mains one bit.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
By the way, Samus was DIRTY up close in Melee. down-smash, forward-smash, and fair were all fast and strong kill moves that seemingly ate through everything. Plus, she was a tank, and floaty, thus hard to kill. I don't feel sorry for Samus mains one bit.
Huh. After all my years maining Samus I didn't know her fair was a kill move in Melee. I assume you mean bair?

Mr.C

Smash Master
Samus is still amazing. What most of you people have to realize subtle mindgames/techniques > combo's. Samus was never a combo character she was suppose to properly space her tilts/smashes, bait jumps and rolls then punish accordingly. Samus is still one of the best at doing this even in Brawl. l2adapt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm2AUUCeAIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdFw3bnL9BQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y80LUmj3058

Tether cancel has been replaced for shmissles, still amazing and now you can even double following missle in a single fullhop...extremely good.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
I played samus for a little bit and didn't think that she was nerfed too badly, but I also didnt keep on practicing with her. I went back to pokemon trainer, but after watching some of hugs and hylian's matches I'm definitely going to to still use samus.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm just gonna take a break from Samus. I've been maining her since I got the game, 7 years is a long time.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
...Space animals...

Space animals. LOL. I like that.

Now for an on-topic comment: Samus isn't bad at all in SSBB. I was actually avoiding playing her in full favor for ZSS and other characters of THAT nature however, once I gave in and gave Samus a shot, I was KOing people left and right. It's true that her fully-charged shot doesn't kill anyone at 70% anymore but when you look at it, all "killing moves" from Melee have been lessened in effectiveness. Look at Captain Falcon, for example. His Falcon Punch used to be absolute death in the upper two digit numbers but, like Samus, it does a lot of damage but the knockback won't kill you.

This sort of addition actually (please trust me) works really well for the entire feel of Brawl. As much as I did enjoy killing someone with a charged shot from Samus, this game is COMPLETELY different, feels NOTHING like Melee and in that vein, the characters being different feels FINE. Samus is a MORE than acceptable character and her attacks are still very effective.

Again, if you play ANY character who was in Melee you'll find that they're completely different, effectiveness is different, range is different--EVERYTHING is different. This isn't Melee 2. So the fact that Samus is different is ok because EVERYONE is different, thus her effectiveness and coolness never really changed at all :) It's just different.

:034:

Smash Hero
Wait wait. You played as Samus in SSB64 and didn't mind, and now you're quitting in Brawl because she's nerfed a bit.

Samus was absolute bottom tier in 64. Worst character. And now she's a bit nerfed in Brawl and you wanna quit?

I honestly don't see the logic in that.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Wait wait. You played as Samus in SSB64 and didn't mind, and now you're quitting in Brawl because she's nerfed a bit.

Samus was absolute bottom tier in 64. Worst character. And now she's a bit nerfed in Brawl and you wanna quit?

She isn't anywhere near nerfed lol....except in the range of her moves pretty much, also doesn't have as much killing potential as she had in melee. But now most of her moves have amazing priority.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)

You should try playing the two competitively in comparison. :p

It took me a little while and alot of fanboyism to avoid doing the same thing. She often feels like they tried to bring her back to 64 levels with the changes to her recovery, ranged game, and overall options.

Edit: I should say...that isnt entirely a bad thing. Classic was decently balanced, even the worst character in the game could win against the best.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
yes, it's so fun in melee to have different play styles (I've changed from Peach to Marth to Sheik to Zelda to Samus) making different play styles is awesome and fun, whether it's a different character or the same. enough said *giggle*

Naybewon

Smash Ace
I promise, she's still incredibly fun to play and packs a serious punch. Her missiles are still great, they're just a little different. Her charged shot is effective, it just doesn't have the same amount of knockback. What prevents her from being "nerfed", really, is the fact that all characters deal less knockback. All characters' killing moves from Melee are less effective in this game. So comparatively, Samus is still a beast :)

Top Bottom