• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

would you want a character with ALL fighting styles?

would you want a character with all fighting styles?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

grizby2

Smash Lord
the closest way to explain this, is Edge Master from Soul calibur 5 or Charade from soul calibur 2.

these characters would use one random fighting style for each round.
for instance:
charade is chosen, and for the first round he has yoshimitsu's moveset, then somebody wins. next round charade now has knightmare's moveset... and so on.

in smash, a character like this would change styles after it gets knocked out and respawns back onto the stage.

im not saying these two specific characters from SC are the ones to be added to smash 4. my question to you is would you want a character like this in smash bros?

while thinking about this, I also have to wonder weather it would be a character from another game, or maybe smashes first attempt at an original playable character.:?:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A smash original charcter or Mii could do that I suppose.

It could be interesting but I think it would be kinda redundant.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would love to see a character like this, specifically I think they should include Ditto for this role. It wouldn't get much tournament play, but aould be huge amongst my casual group.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I think one of the main concerns would be character size. it would definitely have to retain the hurt boxes of the character it mimics in order to keep it balanced.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I wouldn't really want this. It takes away from what makes each fighter unique. How would you even make a fighter like this in Smash? I don't see the point.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I wouldn't really want this. It takes away from what makes each fighter unique. How would you even make a fighter like this in Smash? I don't see the point.
sometimes a character like this can turn the tide of a match.
an opponent could kill you thinking he/she has you figured out, then BAM, you're a whole different character. now your opponent has to totally re-think their strategy on how to approach you. it also mildly forces players to be good with/against more than just one single character. also, for those who think they're super good at the game, they can use this type of character as a trolling apparatus. :troll:

yes, you can say it technically say it draws away the uniqueness of other characters (there's no argument there). it can spice up matches better than just picking "random". if it pleases you, perhaps there can just be an option for the random slot to have the "edge master" effect during the match as apposed to playing as the same character per stock like normal..

grizby2

Smash Lord
If you mean like a Shang Tsung-esque character I would be totally on board.
the type im thinking about wouldn't be able to change at will like Shang Tsung does. the character would have to die first.
but I have heard the Shang Tsung idea before. how would you map all those transformation commands onto one character though?

Morbi

Scavenger
the type im thinking about wouldn't be able to change at will like Shang Tsung does. the character would have to die first.
but I have heard the Shang Tsung idea before. how would you map all those transformation commands onto one character though?
It would have to be the special move or something. Maybe the final smash. Shang Tsung transforms into the other character. So you wouldn't need to map anything.

grizby2

Smash Lord
It would have to be the special move or something. Maybe the final smash. Shang Tsung transforms into the other character. So you wouldn't need to map anything.
having transformations available only through smash balls would instantly expel it from all tourney viability wouldn't you say? XD
id be ok if it were special moves, but that's ALOT of different inputs for turning into different characters. that's at least 40+ different commands. I feel smash is special in the aspect that its known for having so little button commands but having a lot of depth at the same time.

I think it should just happen upon death, because having a new move set upon respawn also solves any button mapping issues, since they'd be effectively non-existent.

lami

Smash Journeyman
I could see this character being popular amongst those who "main" random.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Great, now I want to see Mokujin make it as the Namco rep ^^

Such a character would indeed be my main.

But I sadly don't see it happening in a Smash Bros. game since a character like this will probably be a nightmare to program considering how much the characters are different in this game : some use swords, some claws, some their wings, another use Pikmin.

That and I don't see Sakurai giving that kind of power to anyone else other than Kirby, even it's not the same kind of power who only copy the Neutral special attack of a character but an entire moveset.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Zant from Twilight Princess could potentially fill this role since his fight was almost entirely him mimicking various other bosses' fighting styles.

I'm sure there are other bosses from the Nintendo universe who did something similar and could work as well, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Anyway, I think it could be cool, but I'm not sure how likely it is.

Morbi

Scavenger
that's okay, the question is if you'd WANT a character like this. not weather or not he's likely.
I know I would. I am pretty good at most characters in Smash. I actually used to main the Random Select until I found Wolf. Eventually I went back to Link because we have too much history together. Shang Tsung always interested me as a character though. I mean maining him effectively stated that you can main a low/mid tier character; however, you could also main the rest of the cast. It is really good fun. So I would like a character like that. Zoroark was an illusion character. So I figured that would be pretty cool. I don't really think she has chances anymore though. Maining the Random Select is close enough I guess.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Thought about Zoroark, but it doesn't copy move sets though. Just appearance.

And to answer OP, yes I would be open to such a character, though I don't know how much I would play them myself.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I suppose it could be the pokemon Ditto or something, since he'd be able to shapeshift reasonably to imitate the many shapes of the roster.

I'm pretty comfortable just having a random character slot so I don't have to re-randomize every battle, but having a character that shifts after every death would be pretty fun.

In any case, "random" is probably my most used character and this guy would be up there as well.

Groose

Smash Champion
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this idea. It just sounds like so much effort for a character who would be a gimmick at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom